The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Solid State Pultecs not being made at the moment. Any alternatives?
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Solid State Pultecs not being made at the moment. Any alternatives?

Not sure if this thread goes in "So much gear so little time" or "High end" so mods, move it if there's a better place.

I called Pulse as I was interested in having them build me mastering versions of the solid state Pultecs and regrettably I was told by Dr. Steve Jackson that at the moment all production of solid state rack version pultecs are suspended and none are being made.

The 500 series though is still in production.

Apparently a while ago the company that manufactures the power supply module for the solid state version decided to discontinue it without warning so the problem is Pulse can't get power supplies. Dr. Jackson had told me that if had been given warning, he would have scooped up a hundred or so, but there was no warning.

The 500 series is fine as the power is supplied by the rack.

He said there is one possible alternative but it doesn't fit the current metalwork and cutouts for the solid state cases so if they were to move forward, they'd have to redesign the case and cutouts and order all new metalwork, which depending on how many they actually sell might be even more of a financial disaster to do.

My heart really goes out to the guy - this has to be an extremely frustrating situation to be stuck in.

The second half of this post, is if anyone has any ideas of a substitute for a solid state pultec. I am familiar with both the tube and the solid state versions and much prefer the sound of the solid state version so I'm not interested in the tube versions. Those are still in production and I could just pick up a pair of those if I wanted.

I'd prefer stepped or switched if possible. I know the a designs em-eq2 seems to get a lot of respect around here but I'm not sure if the knobs are stepped or switched.

I'm open to ideas and opinions.
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

I dig the DIYRE EQP5s quite a bit. SS, stepped pots.

Can customize with choice of transformers and opamps.
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Guru

I'd second the DIY EQP's. They can be customized too, and are really quite nice. Stepped pots. Not quite as much flexibility as a full unit, but still very cool. If the freq.'s meet your needs, or the optional freq changes meet your needs (you can mod the freq selections too), they would probably serve you well. If you need more freq selection every time you use the unit, maybe not. But definitely worth checking out.
Old 24th June 2019
500 series nutjob

AML has their 500 format vertion but it is based on the tube pultect ciriut instead of the solid sate.

it is a very very nice EQ i would sudgest at minimum giving Colin a jingle.
Old 24th June 2019
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I'd second the DIY EQP's. They can be customized too, and are really quite nice. Stepped pots. Not quite as much flexibility as a full unit, but still very cool. If the freq.'s meet your needs, or the optional freq changes meet your needs (you can mod the freq selections too), they would probably serve you well. If you need more freq selection every time you use the unit, maybe not. But definitely worth checking out.
I hadn't seen these before! They look pretty cool, and they're cheap enough that I can make a few with modded freqs to cover a wide range. I'm gonna take a look at these - I'm halfway decent with a soldering iron and they don't look like too hard of a build.

Thanks for the heads up on these.
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
AML has their 500 format vertion but it is based on the tube pultect ciriut instead of the solid sate.

it is a very very nice EQ i would sudgest at minimum giving Colin a jingle.
I forgot about these guys. Decently priced, as well. I'm gonna look into these also. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I hadn't seen these before! They look pretty cool, and they're cheap enough that I can make a few with modded freqs to cover a wide range. I'm gonna take a look at these - I'm halfway decent with a soldering iron and they don't look like too hard of a build.

The build is pretty easy. If you want "mastering grade", the chip style Op Amps can be switched out to more modern ones. There's a really good thread on R G O that details all the customization options. The Karloff has a thread on GS that talks about PIO vintage caps and stuff. I opted for the Litz transformer from CAPI, and the Rogue5 discrete op amp from LTL.
Old 25th June 2019
500 series nutjob

Quote:
I forgot about these guys. Decently priced, as well. I'm gonna look into these also. Thanks for the suggestion!
also notice he has a mid range EQ and a high cut low cut filter. can't speak for the biuld ease but they are very nice!! i have one of each and hope to get another set soon.

i seldom use them together but at times?
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

It's an easy, well-documented build. They sound great. Haven't left my mixbus since I built them. They do a really cool solidifying thing to the soundstage even with no cut/boost.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Why not contact a designs and ask peter if they can do a stepped em eq for you. Can’t be that hard to build.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Contact Gustav At Goly https://www.goly.dk/

His stuff is killer!
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
also notice he has a mid range EQ and a high cut low cut filter. can't speak for the biuld ease but they are very nice!! i have one of each and hope to get another set soon.

i seldom use them together but at times?
Those cut filters look great and I think they're stepped. Thanks!
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
The build is pretty easy. If you want "mastering grade", the chip style Op Amps can be switched out to more modern ones. There's a really good thread on R G O that details all the customization options. The Karloff has a thread on GS that talks about PIO vintage caps and stuff. I opted for the Litz transformer from CAPI, and the Rogue5 discrete op amp from LTL.

Quote:
It's an easy, well-documented build. They sound great. Haven't left my mixbus since I built them. They do a really cool solidifying thing to the soundstage even with no cut/boost.
I'm gonna probably give them a shot. Like I said they're cheap enough to take a chance on and easy enough to customize, both freqs and sound-wise. I appreciate being turned on to these!
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
Why not contact a designs and ask peter if they can do a stepped em eq for you. Can’t be that hard to build.
Yeah, I'm gonna reach out to him and see what's up. I actually just talked to him on the phone a few days ago and it never occured to me to ask because it was about something completely different. But I'll see what he says.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
Contact Gustav At Goly https://www.goly.dk/

His stuff is killer!
I had looked at his pultec inspired version a week or two ago. His stuff looks killer, and it almost tics all the right boxes - switched, stereo, etc. (And I love the colors!) but it still has a tube make up amp which I'm looking for a solid state solution as those are the pultecs I like the sound of better so I'm steering a bit away from the tube thing at the moment. But I've looked at that a few times and there's a chance I might end up with it anyway at some point just because the price is ridiculous for what it is. It'd be worth it down the road to pick up just to have it for when I want that kind of saturation.
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

AND choice of filter caps!! Ended up with ERO film caps for the top boosts = sounds amazing. This is with only Signetics 5532s running transformerless. Next I have some vintage Jensen JE-123s incoming to go in there. Not sure what opamps yet, maybe JLM99v's.

But yes, once you tune these up a little they are no joke!
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had looked at his pultec inspired version a week or two ago. His stuff looks killer, and it almost tics all the right boxes - switched, stereo, etc. (And I love the colors!) but it still has a tube make up amp which I'm looking for a solid state solution as those are the pultecs I like the sound of better so I'm steering a bit away from the tube thing at the moment. But I've looked at that a few times and there's a chance I might end up with it anyway at some point just because the price is ridiculous for what it is. It'd be worth it down the road to pick up just to have it for when I want that kind of saturation.
Oh thats right! I forgot it was tube!
His solid state mastering EQ is fab....

Cheers!
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
but it still has a tube make up amp which I'm looking for a solid state solution as those are the pultecs I like the sound of better
I can understand that. I headed to the Miad LCPQ4040's for that. Not a Pultec design, but a wonderful EQ. Mine are always in play during mastering. You may want to check them out if you haven't seen them yet.
Old 26th June 2019
Village Idiot

Quote:

I'd prefer stepped or switched if possible....

Ive been taking steps to do this with a discrete opamp from Silent Arts (M100D) for gain for a while, but I never got around to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xet-Xr5OEZ0&t=41s

[email protected], if youre interested...

Gustav

Last edited by Labs; 26th June 2019 at 07:22 PM..
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
The second half of this post, is if anyone has any ideas of a substitute for a solid state pultec. I am familiar with both the tube and the solid state versions and much prefer the sound of the solid state version so I'm not interested in the tube versions. Those are still in production and I could just pick up a pair of those if I wanted.

I'd prefer stepped or switched if possible. I know the a designs em-eq2 seems to get a lot of respect around here but I'm not sure if the knobs are stepped or switched.

jlmaudio.com

Joe makes a passive solid state Pulteq, in both rack and 500, using his own DOA for make-up gain.
Frequencies are stepped, Cut / boost continuous potentiometers, very smooth and damped!

Top tier build quality, great sounding gear.

Joe and JLM Audio (gearslutz review posted by pan60)

JLM Audio PEQ1 Passive EQ (rack version)

(Wish I didn't need to sell my pair, customized with 28V rails and phase reversal switches to allow null matching....)

jlm-audio-peq-1-passive-eq-2ru-rm

Last edited by robobob; 26th June 2019 at 11:43 PM..
Old 26th June 2019
500 series nutjob

Quote:
yes they are i have one.

Quote:
but it still has a tube make up amp which I'm looking for a solid state solution as those are the pultecs I like the sound of better so I'm steering a bit away from the tube thing at the moment.
the A-Designs EM-EQ2 is also a great solution and it is base on the solid state vertion as i recall?
http://adesignsaudio.com/em-eq2-pultech-style-eq
i have one on my two buss.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Bettermaker? Very clean sounding but great imo. No easier recall than that either.
Old 27th June 2019
500 series nutjob

Quote:
as to A-Design it does not have a tube make up amp, they are solid sate.
Old 27th June 2019
500 series nutjob

Quote:
are you wanting detent pots or stepped switchs?
to me detent pots are a no go, they are not acurate from one to the next. stepped switch can be, but they are pricy.
Old 21st July 2019
Village Idiot

Quote:
are you wanting detent pots or stepped switchs?
to me detent pots are a no go, they are not acurate from one to the next. stepped switch can be, but they are pricy.
https://www.pcbgrinder.com/blog/pot-switch-or-knob

Gustav
Old 21st July 2019
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post

some many think a detent potentiometer is a switch and it is not, it is stil a potentiometer

to quote from your link if i may.

Quote:
Use a Pot or a Switch?
Potentiometers are relatively cheap, they take seconds to to install, and they have an infinite amount of settings from end to end, but pots are inaccurate, nearly impossible to match, and pretty though to recall to bring back a previous setting,

Switches can be perfectly matched, and recalled, but they are relatively expensive, they take much longer to set up and install, and they have a limited amount of settings within a given range.
Old 21st July 2019
500 series nutjob

P.S.
that MS76 KIT you looks interesting!
built in MS matrix?
Old 4 weeks ago
I have always liked the LF response on the solid state Pultecs. The tube units are a lot more wooly sounding and not as solid.

I have had several really picky, discriminating clients commission solid state Pultec designs.

Pics attached
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Pultecs not being made at the moment.  Any alternatives?-meq5_front_small.jpg   Solid State Pultecs not being made at the moment.  Any alternatives?-meq5_top_small.jpg   Solid State Pultecs not being made at the moment.  Any alternatives?-eqp1a_front_small.jpg   Solid State Pultecs not being made at the moment.  Any alternatives?-eqp1a_inside_1_small.jpg   Solid State Pultecs not being made at the moment.  Any alternatives?-eqp1a_inside_2_small.jpg  

Old 4 weeks ago
Village Idiot

Quote:
P.S.
that MS76 KIT you looks interesting!
built in MS matrix?
Yes, MS matrix in the signal path.

Gustav

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search