The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
tuning an EMT 140 plate reverb
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear
tuning an EMT 140 plate reverb

I have fairly recently acquired an EMT 140 plate solid state in excellent condition. I adore the sound and use every day but do wonder if it is tuned optimally. There are some narrow resonances for example around 1.7k which I notch out and the sound is better for it. I can certainly live with this. It might just be the nature of the beast but I would love to know if it is tuned as well as possible out of pure respect for the great machine. It's very nice and bright and alive sounding though which suggests the tuning ain't too bad. The low end greatly increases though when the damper is pulled right off.

Can I run test tones through it and email or post here to anyone who knows what to listen for? I'm in Sydney Australia. Could anyone help me remotely? Would be much appreciated. Happy to pay someone as well for this who knows what they are doing. I certainly don't!!
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
I have fairly recently acquired an EMT 140 plate solid state in excellent condition. I adore the sound and use every day but do wonder if it is tuned optimally. There are some narrow resonances for example around 1.7k which I notch out and the sound is better for it. I can certainly live with this. It might just be the nature of the beast but I would love to know if it is tuned as well as possible out of pure respect for the great machine. It's very nice and bright and alive sounding though which suggests the tuning ain't too bad. The low end greatly increases though when the damper is pulled right off.

Can I run test tones through it and email or post here to anyone who knows what to listen for? I'm in Sydney Australia. Could anyone help me remotely? Would be much appreciated. Happy to pay someone as well for this who knows what they are doing. I certainly don't!!
Congrats, I just picked up an old EMT mono tube plate... here’s the best information on the web regarding moving, tuning and cleaning an EMT plate... enjoy...

https://danalexanderaudio.com/2018/0...-plate-reverb/
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Guru

At one point I worked in a place that had 8 of them. One magic one, one pretty close, the other 6 okay. Another guy and I got permission to crack them all open and try to make them all magic.

Having gone at it a little at a time over a long time, months later our conclusion was that some of those pieces of sheet metal just sound better than others, although careful tensioning can make them brighter. Also, the "magic" one was riddled with tiny rust spots. We left them.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
At one point I worked in a place that had 8 of them. One magic one, one pretty close, the other 6 okay. Another guy and I got permission to crack them all open and try to make them all magic.

Having gone at it a little at a time over a long time, months later our conclusion was that some of those pieces of sheet metal just sound better than others, although careful tensioning can make them brighter. Also, the "magic" one was riddled with tiny rust spots. We left them.
That’s really amazing! I think there is prob less than 8 plates in the whole of Australia. I would call my plate pretty damn magic (in a sample of 1) but with a few resonances in mid range. It’s bright in a very present alive clear kind of way. Are u saying that the tuning doesn’t do much other than impact brightness?
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Are u saying that the tuning doesn’t do much other than impact brightness?
Partially. A couple of them had a weird gong-like quality in the midrange that went away somewhat when they were tightened.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Partially. A couple of them had a weird gong-like quality in the midrange that went away somewhat when they were tightened.

Awesome thanks. I might post a few samples if you don't mind to see how magic you think this one is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Congrats, I just picked up an old EMT mono tube plate... here’s the best information on the web regarding moving, tuning and cleaning an EMT plate... enjoy...

https://danalexanderaudio.com/2018/0...-plate-reverb/
Cool thanks that's a nifty invention.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

EMT 140 plate

1. when moving, if you have difficulty getting tape to stick to an oily or rusty plate, use bungie cords to secure.

2. get a centering disk for re-installing the drive magnet.
plans to make them are online.
it is basically a 90 mm "doughnut" with a 20 mm hole.
don't even think of re-tensioning before removing the magnet.

3. not to diss that fancy tool,
but" listen" to the plate by rapping each corner with that 10 mm wrench.
you can spot areas that are under-tensioned,
each corner should have a similar high pitched "ting".
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode View Post
1. when moving, if you have difficulty getting tape to stick to an oily or rusty plate, use bungie cords to secure.

2. get a centering disk for re-installing the drive magnet.
plans to make them are online.
it is basically a 90 mm "doughnut" with a 20 mm hole.
don't even think of re-tensioning before removing the magnet.

3. not to diss that fancy tool,
but" listen" to the plate by rapping each corner with that 10 mm wrench.
you can spot areas that are under-tensioned,
each corner should have a similar high pitched "ting".
Thanks very much. Yes I already moved it a few months back and it's sitting in my garage. I taped it down and removed the magnet. I also made a tool like you described and it was a perfect fit, hence my fear of mucking around with it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I would think there’s more than 8 EMT140’s in Australia.

Here’s ours from Melbourne.

Quote:
That’s really amazing! I think there is prob less than 8 plates in the whole of Australia. I would call my plate pretty damn magic (in a sample of 1) but with a few resonances in mid range. It’s bright in a very present alive clear kind of way. Are u saying that the tuning doesn’t do much other than impact brightness?
Attached Thumbnails
tuning an EMT 140 plate reverb-221594d9-0f99-46ac-a056-d46ebf25f67d.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowmat View Post
I would think there’s more than 8 EMT140’s in Australia.

Here’s ours from Melbourne.
ha ha a bit of hyperbole on my behalf perhaps....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, plates are all about the particular piece of sheet metal and how they are tensioned.

Here’s mine from the move last month... taped up and post tape...
Attached Thumbnails
tuning an EMT 140 plate reverb-ae16c5a5-adfd-4f73-bb80-fec15dd002d4.jpg   tuning an EMT 140 plate reverb-1b703981-79a8-4693-b626-b40393c727b6.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Yes, plates are all about the particular piece of sheet metal and how they are tensioned.

Here’s mine from the move last month... taped up and post tape...
Yeah I made the mistake of using gaffe tape for the same thing.. mmm took a long while to peel that off and sounded like a canon hit a castle wall every time i ripped a piece off.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I made the mistake of using gaffe tape for the same thing.. mmm took a long while to peel that off and sounded like a canon hit a castle wall every time i ripped a piece off.
Yeah, goof off took off any residual glue, then I cleaned the whole plate, she looks great now.

I love just tapping on the sheet metal with my fingers... the sound of thunder.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search