The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Stereo EQ:s - your best tips
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Stereo EQ:s - your best tips

Hey all,

Looking to get a couple of stereo EQ:s. The way I mix is usually doing premixing ITB and then sending out through my SSL Duality 24. As almost everything I send through the desk is stereo stems and you cannot link the Duality EQ:s, I often wish I had some stereo EQ:s at least for the drums and vocal stems. Best scenario would be dual mono EQ:s with a stereo link button and detented pots actually. Looking for something with flavour. 500 series or 19” doesnt really matter, whatever sounds good and is easy to use. Budget is around 500-1000 USD per channel, so 1000-2000 per stereo unit.

Hit me up with your best options!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What type of music?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Metal, rock, pop, acoustic. Pretty much everything except for hiphop and EDM-style (i e bass heavy stuff).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you need detent that narrows the choices a lot. API works great for rock and metal, 550A, 550B, 5500 on the used market would fit your budget.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
If you need detent that narrows the choices a lot. API works great for rock and metal, 550A, 550B, 5500 on the used market would fit your budget.
The 5500 gives you the option of 2db, 1db, and 1/2db steps which it really cool.
Old 4 weeks ago
SRS
Lives for gear

Had a 5500 and while it was very nice and would serve your purpose well, I had mine (which I bought brand new) in the shop at API twice in the first year for warranty repairs. Something to do with resistor issues in one of the channels. The 2nd time after I got it back I sold it.

Last edited by SRS; 4 weeks ago at 11:55 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Plug em' in

Crap em' out

Try and wipe up those "phase artifacts" but leave some paper for the next guy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Elysia xfilter would be a good candidate. https://www.elysia.com/rack-series/xfilter/
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Elysia xfilter would be a good candidate. https://www.elysia.com/rack-series/xfilter/
Yes been checking it out but yet to hear it. Does it have set values though? Also really interested in the Kush Clariphonic but same thing there. I think Maag EQ4 is my best bet at the moment though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Maag. Miad. Harrison GR 32. API 560's. Pultecs - There are so many wonderful colours but not so many linked detented ones in that price range. Up the budget for a Curvebender or a Knif Soma
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I will say that a feature of dual mono with a link button far outweighs detented pots. I like having set values both for making decisions and for recall but it’s not crucial.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMeadow View Post
Yes been checking it out but yet to hear it. Does it have set values though? Also really interested in the Kush Clariphonic but same thing there. I think Maag EQ4 is my best bet at the moment though.
What do you mean by "set values"? All xfilter values are indented. Follow the link I posted and find an answer to all the questions you might have. There is very comprehensive information there.

The Clariphonic is dual mono and has no indents. And it is far from a general EQ.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

With set values I meant detented pots.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Detended pots - for 0.5-1K$ per channel ?
What for "Link mode" in hardware EQ (with detended pots) ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
The Clariphonic is dual mono and has no indents
The Clariphonic MS has indents.
You could also look at the Hammer 2. Indents for gains and switches for the frequency points and filters.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search