The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
YAMAHA SREV-1 Convolution Reverb
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Nut

YAMAHA SREV-1 Convolution Reverb

Hi guys,

The SREV1 is a quite rare and uncommon device. We can get all documentation at Yamaha or on the web but further infos are rare too.

I know some owners are around here and it would be great to share our experiences and any tips and tricks about.

Speaking for myself, the SREV1 is a fresh arrival here. It has been a back to the future trip in computer things, getting a 512MB (!) CF card and a PCMCIA adapter (still need a card reader), seeking for a mini-DIN/RS232 cable, duplicating a CD-ROM for safety :-))

I ordered two silent Noctua fans to replace the Sunon and the Melco ones. I already experienced this for my DM2k and it has been a great improvement.

I'm seeking for a LED backlight LCD to replace the original SHARP one.

I've fixed a couple of issues like a brief mute and clock loss when loading a new program (Digital In/Out) by supplying wordclock to wordclock input instead of locking it to AES Input, works great now.

One thing I couldn't read anything about in documentation: Internal and PC Card drives offer 8 memories only in Library menu and Project one as well here. I don't know if it's normal. Should it mean we can't save more than 8 programs or projects to Internal or PC card and I should manage that from the computer maybe? Any advice about?

Another detail I noticed: the DB-SREV1 expansion board is the very same than the main one, just has an added S/N sticker on it. They're totally swappable. It means one could find a spare SREV1 and pick up board and ribbons to mount it on the first device and double available convolution time ;-)

What I like and enjoy with hardware reverbs or comps is that they let the ears wide open and the brain mainly focused on ear listening...
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Nut

The CF memory limitation is ok, thanks to another owner. It was anything but an issue, just a personal misunderstanding of how it works...

Waiting for the serial cable to connect the device to the computer and test the IR apps

Using the SREV1 is amazing and easy, the remote is great and friendly. I compared some programs to the Reverence. Hard to get strictly similar setup but I feel the same than with my 300L, something better sounding and more natural with HW than plugins for my personal taste.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

not much which i can contribute: i got to try one (and mixed an album or two) when it was new and liked it a lot - as an addition to quantec, tc, lex and eventide; in the end, i opted for the sony sampling reverb though (which keeps on running, along with the above mentioned efx devices).
should i find any (in working condition and not too expensive), i wouldn't hesitate buying it! if i remember right, there was an interview with elliot scheiner many years ago in which he was briefly talking about the unit: certainly not a bad reference...
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
if i remember right, there was an interview with elliot scheiner many years ago in which he was briefly talking about the unit: certainly not a bad reference...
Ha ha, during so many years, Donald Fagen's Nightfly was the very sounding reference I used to check everything and anything, new monitors, new room ;-))

Great you still own the Sony, I've used it once for a cuban style song recording for Disney in the 2000's with brass and percs. Sounded great. I had a look to but their sale value is quite high yet so I went to the Yam which looks to be a bargain as soon as one can find one, not that easy...

The SREV1 is a new to me, never seen/used any in the past. It looks to be very versatile, the available connection with a computer seems to be interesting too and should provide extra features and communication to create new programs and import IRs. Same for the 2x2ch & 4ch modes. Changing parameters with the remote is done within a flash time, the Hi & Lo filters are impressive and instantly provide a true result, accurate or not regarding the target but very interesting and musical whatever. I'm impressed and can't stand going deeper, it's a long time I didn't feel so comfortable with a sound device (or a plugin, furthermore...)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

So as to get a quieter device I replaced the Sunon and the Melco fans with Noctua ones. I had to tweak a bit for the connectors (actually there are some accurate Noctua connectors but I didn't have them at hand).

The 60mm Noctua is 25mm thick but it fits (the Melco is a 15mm), it took some time to organize the cables.

I used the LNA (Low Noise Adapters) for both and the device is way more silent yet. The resut is impressive.

Next step: replace the original blue Sharp LCD with a new black/white one with LED backlit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search