The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to use only 1 LA-2A in mix chain
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Head

How to use only 1 LA-2A in mix chain

Hey all! I’m starting to get into some outboard gear. I have an La-2A, I want to purchase a second and I have some questions.

1st - I have read how to link them in the manual but exactly what type of cabling do I use? Can any type of speaker cable work?

2nd - How do you guys use typically use them with multiple tracks? I am going to insert them into my mix chain for lead vox. You typically have a few tracks of lead voxs so would you insert two linked LA2As on a stereo lead vox buss? If I only am able to afford one for now, how would you handle multiple lead vox tracks with just one unit? Just bounce each one with the LA-2A and then go from there?
Looking for guidance here!
Old 12th June 2019
One really only has ONE lead vocal track, any more would be doubles (unless of course your lead is spread across multiple tracks because of overlap) Sometimes you may want the double to sound different than the lead and this can be done, other than with a different mic, with EQ, filtering and a diff comp. sometimes, you may want them to be the same. I have run two vocal tracks, both were sung full volume tho an octave apart (harmony) and I ran both together into one 1176 cause I wanted them to act as one (this track called for it) you can run both vocal (leads) into the la2a...I set both outputs in PT to the same output and sent that output to the 1176 then to my console on one fader. You could also do what you said, send them to a buss and put a stereo La2a on it (two linked). This is very common in the DAW. As far as linking I’ve never done it so I can’t help with the cable. If you are buying vintage la2as most likely they will not sound the same. New ones you have a better chance if bought close together....if you have multiple lead tracks cause of overlap and you want them to sound the same, do what I said first, set all the outputs the same, send that output to the la2a then to your console (this will save your other outboard gear for other tracks)
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Another option is just print back into your DAW and that way you can apply the LA2A onto most anything. Trying to use 15 different compressors during mix down is great if you have the gear but there are other ways to skin the cat.
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Another option is just print back into your DAW and that way you can apply the LA2A onto most anything. Trying to use 15 different compressors during mix down is great if you have the gear but there are other ways to skin the cat.
I do this when I can. Tho, I find many times I am not ready to commit (print back into DAW) until more instruments are added. I do use my Tube Tech Pe1B (pultec) In this way as I only have one and sometimes will just commit early with it. But committing to a lead vocal is diff as it’s usually late in the mix and this would work well for the OP
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

An 1176 (or similar like a WA76) after an LA2A is a great and classic chain.

Worth considering as a next HW purchase if you're vocal focused.

As others have said here, if you wish to apply your hardware to multiple vocals, you can bounce each vocal through your HW.

Nothing to say you couldn't do stereo LA2A, just probably a less common choice if one has limited hardware options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio 8o5 View Post
Hey all! I’m starting to get into some outboard gear. I have an La-2A, I want to purchase a second and I have some questions.

1st - I have read how to link them in the manual but exactly what type of cabling do I use? Can any type of speaker cable work?

2nd - How do you guys use typically use them with multiple tracks? I am going to insert them into my mix chain for lead vox. You typically have a few tracks of lead voxs so would you insert two linked LA2As on a stereo lead vox buss? If I only am able to afford one for now, how would you handle multiple lead vox tracks with just one unit? Just bounce each one with the LA-2A and then go from there?
Looking for guidance here!
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Maybe try a mid/side set up. Compress the mono mid and see what it sounds like.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamrock80 View Post
Maybe try a mid/side set up. Compress the mono mid and see what it sounds like.
exactly, and then compress the s-channel in a second pass and the merge resulting m and s files to LR stereo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search