The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avedis KeyPre?
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Avedis KeyPre?

Any users/owners/fans?

Looks like a very useful piece of gear but there are no reviews online or any information other than what's on their site.

Love to hear some real world user opinions?
Old 9th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
Any users/owners/fans?

Looks like a very useful piece of gear but there are no reviews online or any information other than what's on their site.

Love to hear some real world user opinions?
Hey there. I'm not only a user but I was a part of RND team. The unit sounds wide open. The impedance is very high so it can handle any unbalanced / balanced synth source. I should write a review. Ask any questions here of PM me if you like.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hi Nu-tra, as someone who has never used or heard Avedis gear, how would you describe the tonality and "feel" of the KeyPre?

Is it clean or coloured? Can you drive it into saturation? would you say that it's closest to API, Neve, SSL, Chandler TG gear?

What is the "high performance Ingenius® input stage"?

Where can we find the manual?

Super curious about this unit as our studio is analog synth and drum machine based and I've been thinking about picking up a couple of 4 channel pre-amps.

I find that high quality pre-amps REALLY make a big difference in the sonics of synths and drum machines so the KeyPre is of serious interest to me.

The pre-amps we are currently using are a 3 Germaniums, a TG2, and a Rupert Neve Designs 5032.
Old 10th June 2019
Hi Nu-tra, as someone who has never used or heard Avedis gear, how would you describe the tonality and "feel" of the KeyPre?

The keypre has a very wide open 3D sound. The impedance is so high that it can handle vintage to modern synths. The impedance is 40k!

Is it clean or coloured? Can you drive it into saturation? would you say that it's closest to API, Neve, SSL, Chandler TG gear?

It has a smaller Jensen transformer on the output but it is not designed for saturation. The transformer adds color but nothing crazy. His goal was to build something that properly interfaces synths to your converters that is wide open. I track all of my vintage synths through it its sounds so nice and punchy. We recently installed one at sound city and Redondo studios. It's a line preamp so you can't compare it to the mentioned brands. Avedis was chief designer at Brent Averill/BAE if that helps. He does not cut corners with his designs..

What is the "high performance Ingenius® input stage"?

The ingenious is the input stage designed by Bill Witlock from Jensen. It is the reason why the impedance is 40k instead of 10k like in most preamps. The unit is flat form 3hz-70k.

Where can we find the manual?

If there isn't one on the avedis site then should be one soon. There is not much to the unit due to it's straight forward design- Six inputs in the front and back and six outputs. For example- you can have 6 synths plugged into the back and 6 in the front. You can toggle between the front and back inputs. If you look at the unit there is a toggle button on each channel. (you can't use the front and back inputs at the same time). The inputs can receive balanced or unbalanced 1/4" the output is 1/4" balanced.

Super curious about this unit as our studio is analog synth and drum machine based and I've been thinking about picking up a couple of 4 channel pre-amps.

The keypre is 6 channels per unit. Just to clarify it is not a mic preamp.

I find that high quality pre-amps REALLY make a big difference in the sonics of synths and drum machines so the KeyPre is of serious interest to me.

They really do. When I am tweaking synths through the keypre I hear every little move more than I could before . Drums machines punch!

The pre-amps we are currently using are a 3 Germaniums, a TG2, and a Rupert Neve Designs 5032.

I can only compare the Avedis MA5 and MD7 to the mentioned above since they are mic preamps.

Here is a pic of my setup!
Attached Thumbnails
Avedis KeyPre?-20190529_190144.jpg  
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hey thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm pretty much sold on it as there is not really anything else like it on the market.
Not a lot of options for high quality gain staging for synths so it looks perfect.

I was just referencing the pre-amps I have already have and that I'm already using with our synths and drummachines, to try to get an idea of what the tone of the unit is since I've never heard or worked with any gear by Avedis (or BAE).

FYI - I have the same Heritage lunchbox.
Old 10th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
Hey thanks for the detailed reply!

I'm pretty much sold on it as there is not really anything else like it on the market.
Not a lot of options for high quality gain staging for synths so it looks perfect.

I was just referencing the pre-amps I have already have and that I'm already using with our synths and drummachines, to try to get an idea of what the tone of the unit is since I've never heard or worked with any gear by Avedis (or BAE).

FYI - I have the same Heritage lunchbox.
Great lunchbox. Hit me up if you want a keypre. Pm me
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Great lunchbox. Hit me up if you want a keypre. Pm me
Will do!
Old 4 weeks ago
The manual is at the bottom of the page.

https://avedisaudio.com/keypre/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search