The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
$14K Studio Monitor Budget
Old 31st May 2019
Here for the gear
$14K Studio Monitor Budget

Hey I'm building a studio, and I'm wondering what monitors you guys would suggest?

I'm working with a USD$14K budget (~$20K AUD). Currently I've been thinking of getting the ATC SCM45A with a pair of Barefoot Footprint 01's, but I've also been thinking about the Barefoot MM27s. If the improvement would be huge, I'd be able to increase the budget to 15 or 16 thousand as well.

Was wondering what you guys thought of those options and any other suggestions? Being in Australia, it's quite hard to get a hold of demo products so I'm probably just going to have to take a leap of faith and buy them without having heard them.

My main needs/wants are great translation, and nice low end. I'll also be working in a pretty small control room, around 4m x 3.6m. Also primarily working on Hip Hop.

Wilson
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSqueak View Post
Hey I'm building a studio, and I'm wondering what monitors you guys would suggest?

I'm working with a USD$14K budget (~$20K AUD). Currently I've been thinking of getting the ATC SCM45A with a pair of Barefoot Footprint 01's, but I've also been thinking about the Barefoot MM27s. If the improvement would be huge, I'd be able to increase the budget to 15 or 16 thousand as well.

Was wondering what you guys thought of those options and any other suggestions? Being in Australia, it's quite hard to get a hold of demo products so I'm probably just going to have to take a leap of faith and buy them without having heard them.

My main needs/wants are great translation, and nice low end. I'll also be working in a pretty small control room, around 4m x 3.6m. Also primarily working on Hip Hop.

Wilson
4x3,6m you might have serious problems with your low end and a very small sweet spot. I would avoid both of your choices. SCM45 are IMHO not that great, while Barefoots are good, but pretty deep monitors and attached subs won’t help you in this room.

I would look for Genelecs 8351 + 2x7360 subs or D&Ds 8C. Both will perform better throughout the frequency range in challenging conditions and first option would give you even more positioning freedom + slightly better extension + imaging. Second one will be integrated and will help you avoid SBIR in the 100-200Hz region.

Kii Three will also perform, but got shockingly expensive and will drive out of headroom with bass heavy content too early.
Old 31st May 2019
Quote:

Wilson
Hi apologies up front as i don't mean to thread Hijack, but i was about to post a similar topic, also being from AU with the inability to demo in my studio and seeing as our room size( 4.3m x 3.5m) and budget also align, i thought i would add to this discussion as i have been seriously considering Barefoot MM27 and possibly even stretching the budget to 26's.

I'm not sure what you currently have, but i am coming from a pair APS Aeon 2's with matching SUB 10 and looking for a definite upgrade. I would prefer an all in one, full range (or at least down to 30hz) monitoring solution, so i can fill the room and feel the bass when needed.

The genelec 8351 seem interesting, but am worried that the bass might be a little lean and i prefer not to add a sub, if i can avoid it.

A few possible recommendations i am thinking about that you may not have considered already:

Genelec 8351 or 8260
Barefoot MM27 or MM26
PSI 21M or A25M
ATC SCM25 or 45(worried about needed a sub here again)
Neumann KH310 (same as above)
Amphion Two 18

Thanks
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsixtysix View Post
Hi apologies up front as i don't mean to thread Hijack, but i was about to post a similar topic, also being from AU with the inability to demo in my studio and seeing as our room size( 4.3m x 3.5m) and budget also align, i thought i would add to this discussion as i have been seriously considering Barefoot MM27 and possibly even stretching the budget to 26's.

I'm not sure what you currently have, but i am coming from a pair APS Aeon 2's with matching SUB 10 and looking for a definite upgrade. I would prefer an all in one, full range (or at least down to 30hz) monitoring solution, so i can fill the room and feel the bass when needed.

The genelec 8351 seem interesting, but am worried that the bass might be a little lean and i prefer not to add a sub, if i can avoid it.

A few possible recommendations i am thinking about that you may not have considered already:

Genelec 8351 or 8260
Barefoot MM27 or MM26
PSI 21M or A25M
ATC SCM25 or 45(worried about needed a sub here again)
Neumann KH310 (same as above)
Amphion Two 18

Thanks
Problem is that "all in one solution" in a rooms that are not "optimal" is not a good solution. Freedom of placement of subs and speakers gives potential for much better result in accurate LF reproduction. Because you can place the speakers so that you avoid the SBIR or out of some nasty room modes region and on the other hand find a position for the subs where they give the best low end performance. Don't get me wrong, I thing Barefoots are great monitors, but they might cause you problems in your room. D&D 8C might alleviate such problems as well, but below 100Hz will still be strongly influenced by your room modes.
Old 31st May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
Problem is that "all in one solution" in a rooms that are not "optimal" is not a good solution. Freedom of placement of subs and speakers gives potential for much better result in accurate LF reproduction. Because you can place the speakers so that you avoid the SBIR or out of some nasty room modes region and on the other hand find a position for the subs where they give the best low end performance. Don't get me wrong, I thing Barefoots are great monitors, but they might cause you problems in your room. D&D 8C might alleviate such problems as well, but below 100Hz will still be strongly influenced by your room modes.
Yeah, that makes sense, although I have heard a lot about the difficulties of integrating a sub into a less than optimal room. However, I do have a budget for treatment of around USD$5000 and I will probably be going to GIK for that. Hopefully, this will make the room at least decent.

I hadn't read anything about the D&D's until now, but they really look awesome. I appreciate your suggestions and I will probably go with the D&D's, then maybe something cheap like NS10's as a secondary reference. Just worrying about the room now, haven't rented out a place yet but most likely it will be a relatively cubey bedroom... Oh well, hopefully the 5K in treatment will do something.
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, that makes sense, although I have heard a lot about the difficulties of integrating a sub into a less than optimal room. However, I do have a budget for treatment of around USD$5000 and I will probably be going to GIK for that. Hopefully, this will make the room at least decent.

I hadn't read anything about the D&D's until now, but they really look awesome. I appreciate your suggestions and I will probably go with the D&D's, then maybe something cheap like NS10's as a secondary reference. Just worrying about the room now, haven't rented out a place yet but most likely it will be a relatively cubey bedroom... Oh well, hopefully the 5K in treatment will do something.
It depends on the system. In case of Genelc system it is dead easy as it is automated and performs flawlessly. I definitely suggest you to take a listen and decide on your own.

Regarding room treatment it is not so much about money as it is about doing correct things that need to be done, but usually it is not really cheap to tackle serious problems. In case of D&Ds you can leave your front wall untreated and let it be a hard surface. Then you have to deal with sufficient absorbtion in corners (but probably regular bass traps won't help much, to control below 100Hz you need to have a serious depth of absorbtion, which is unpractical in rooms that small as you lose too much space. So you will have to deal with calculations and measurements, and built some helmholz resonators to tackle particular range. Of course it all depends how good result you want to achieve. But anyway, any of the mention systems I suggested will help you at least with some (otherwise pretty significant and not easy to solve) issues.
Old 31st May 2019
Quote:
It depends on the system. In case of Genelc system it is dead easy as it is automated and performs flawlessly. I definitely suggest you to take a listen and decide on your own.

Regarding room treatment it is not so much about money as it is about doing correct things that need to be done, but usually it is not really cheap to tackle serious problems. In case of D&Ds you can leave your front wall untreated and let it be a hard surface. Then you have to deal with sufficient absorbtion in corners (but probably regular bass traps won't help much, to control below 100Hz you need to have a serious depth of absorbtion, which is unpractical in rooms that small as you lose too much space. So you will have to deal with calculations and measurements, and built some helmholz resonators to tackle particular range. Of course it all depends how good result you want to achieve. But anyway, any of the mention systems I suggested will help you at least with some (otherwise pretty significant and not easy to solve) issues.
I am not having any issues with bass management in my current room 5x4m but when i move into the slightly smaller space at the end of the year i quoted earlier, i am concerned about adding a sub in that room. I still want to be able to hear everything and make judgement calls on what goes on at 30hz accurately.

So, would you put D&D above the genelec's? I doubt i can get a chance to hear those D&D in person, but am going to audition some kh310 and 8341's tomorrow.

Edit:
My room dimensions are
3.5m wide
4.31m length
=15sq meters

It is currently treated with 4 175mm Rockwool DIY traps and 5 70mm Rockwool panels around the room. I might get a proper acoustic evaluation as i am mixing while producing.
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not having any issues with bass management in my current room 5x4m but when i move into the slightly smaller space at the end of the year i quoted earlier, i am concerned about adding a sub in that room. I still want to be able to hear everything and make judgement calls on what goes on at 30hz accurately.

So, would you put D&D above the genelec's? I doubt i can get a chance to hear those D&D in person, but am going to audition some kh310 and 8341's tomorrow.
I understand. I have been using such Genenelc combo also in a room as small and it was performing superb.

I have both systems in two different rooms, to be honest I still slightly prefer Genelec combo as a whole. But without added subs I would opt for D&Ds, though I still think imaging and midrange of the Genelecs is slightly better.
Old 31st May 2019
Quote:
I understand. I have been using such Genenelc combo also in a room as small and it was performing superb.

I have both systems in two different rooms, to be honest I still slightly prefer Genelec combo as a whole. But without added subs I would opt for D&Ds, though I still think imaging and midrange of the Genelecs is slightly better.
So you are basically saying, for hearing the lower freq or bass heavy music,the 8351's won't cut it and definitely need a sub..I was counting on it being sufficient, as D&D and the 8351 with a sub are about the same price. This get's more confusing the more questions i ask
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you are basically saying, for hearing the lower freq or bass heavy music,the 8351's won't cut it and definitely need a sub..I was counting on it being sufficient, as D&D and the 8351 with a sub are about the same price. This get's more confusing the more questions i ask
8351 have great extension down to 30Hz, but they are not able to go above 90dB SPL in that region without engaging the protection circuit. So it depends on your SPL requirements but it should be more than sufficient for the size of your room. With sub they go down to 15Hz and are able to produce good SPL figure. D&Ds are able to play loud enough on their own and extend in a room down to 25Hz.

Nothing is confusing here. The bigger the cone area or speaker volume, the more SPL and extension a speaker can have given amplifier power.
Old 31st May 2019
Where in aus? In Sydney we have atc scm series in the main studio, and I think 20s or 25s in the writing room...Forbes St have Barefoot mains, so ask nicely and you might be able to have a listen at some point...they’re very different!
Old 31st May 2019
Quote:
8351 have great extension down to 30Hz, but they are not able to go above 90dB SPL in that region without engaging the protection circuit. So it depends on your SPL requirements but it should be more than sufficient for the size of your room. With sub they go down to 15Hz and are able to produce good SPL figure. D&Ds are able to play loud enough on their own and extend in a room down to 25Hz.

Nothing is confusing here. The bigger the cone area or speaker volume, the more SPL and extension a speaker can have given amplifier power.
Not confused about how speakers work, i'm confused as to which one's to buy

If the Genelec's sweep me off my feet tomorrow, i will blind buy a pair or 8351 and if i still need a sub, i guess factor that in as well.

If they seem like they don't provide to be a significant step up over my current setup, i will also demo Barefoot (barefeet?) range and a few different sizes and brands in the coming weeks after the re seller has relocated.
Old 31st May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Where in aus? In Sydney we have atc scm series in the main studio, and I think 20s or 25s in the writing room...Forbes St have Barefoot mains, so ask nicely and you might be able to have a listen at some point...they’re very different!
Hi Psycho_monkey i am in Melbourne unfortunately, and there is no re seller's here that i know of that have the ATC's on hand.
Old 31st May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Hey man! I'm going to be in Sydney starting September, currently living in the US for University. I would love to swing through and spend a little bit of time with the ATC's, so perhaps I could contact you once I'm in Australia and we could arrange a time that wouldn't interfere with your work?

I'm really leaning towards D&D 8C's now, the DSP features seem amazing, but then again, I haven't heard much from anyone about them when compared to Barefoots or ATC's. I will be demoing some Barefoot MM27's over the summer when I'm in the UK, so I'll have a chance to hear those, and also the Kii Threes, so then it would just be the ATC's left to hear.

Wilson
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear
Well that makes 3 of us fellow Aussies!!! I'm also in Sydney. I'm tossing up between the ATC 20 (probably added sub) or Genelec 8351A. Upgrading from Focal Solos. (which I have liked but have just had a crisis of faith this month) My room is well treated as I can possibly get it but v oddly shaped ceiling as it's a converted loft. This has pros and cons acoustically. Fairly small as well so the the speakers have to be close to the wall. I'm probably leaning to the Genelec because I'm worried the ATCs might be more fussy with the room. The ATC 25s are out by the way due to horizontal placement being impossible.

It would obviously be great to test both in my space but as all Australians know, this is forbidden in our constitution. Any thoughts which way I should go? The Genelec room correction is also appealing as is the fact that they were designed for small spaces. Then again the ATC seems to have amazing mids. That's what I'd really like to hear better than I currently do. Was set on the ATCs but now am unsure. Any advice is welcome.
Old 1st June 2019
I've demo'd all these speakers in my studio, and it was a close decision between the 8351s and the Dutch. I ended up with the Dutch but it depends on your application. For dialogue editing and really clean detailed work I would go with the 8351s. For music, big sound, tracking speakers with plenty of low end I'd go with the Dutch. They have their issues too - namely the software that they are working on (hopefully). But the Dutch sound amazing, though they take a little getting used to. The 8351s definitely need a sub if you want big musical sounds. They are exceptional for top end detail though. They are more surgical than musical.
Old 1st June 2019
I just came back from a demo with Genelec 8050, Neumann KH310a and Genelec 8341.

To me, the most balanced tonally of the bunch were the KH310a, they had great depth and image, also the bottom end was precise but there was no weight to the sound,which would be a factor when i want to make proper mixing decision's in the low's. They can definitely be heard, but at lower levels, making judgement calls is a little harder.

The 8050's sounded very top end focused and sort of scooped in the mid to mid high's and the driver looked the business but there was practically little low end...this might have been due to the room or positioning, but at this point i stopped listening.

The 8341 had amazing detail and stereo image, and they come across with a very analytical sound, maybe a bit too much top and mid detail for vibe and production work ,and more so strictly focused for mixing.
Front and back depth where really something that had to be heard, but i couldn't accurately judge anything under 40hz (to be expected with a speaker this size), and felt i would require a sub with the type of music i make.

In conclusion, only the 8341 felt like somewhat of an upgrade compared to what i currently have. although with some short comings.
I doubt i will get a chance to audition the 8351's as nobody stocks them here and are pre order only, i will wait a few weeks and see what Awave have in stock and maybe listen to a few different pairs.
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

I went from KH310s to 8351s (with no sub) - the 310s are great monitors (poss best full range at the budget) but the 8351s are slightly better at everything which results in a decent overall improvement.

Re: the 8351 being bright - one thing i found was that because the GLM only makes corrective cuts below 400Hz ish once these are implemented the end result is quite a bright sound so you need to fine tune the top end to taste (I have a gentle roll off .5db / oct from 1kHz set using the speakers DSP)
Old 1st June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
I went from KH310s to 8351s (with no sub) - the 310s are great monitors (poss best full range at the budget) but the 8351s are slightly better at everything which results in a decent overall improvement.

Re: the 8351 being bright - one thing i found was that because the GLM only makes corrective cuts below 400Hz ish once these are implemented the end result is quite a bright sound so you need to fine tune the top end to taste (I have a gentle roll off .5db / oct from 1kHz set using the speakers DSP)
Yeah, i agree that from the KH310 to the 8341 the upgrade wasn't too significant, but it's definitely there. I'm curious about the low end on the 8351 vs the KH310? I just got the impression the 310a lacked a little low end punch. All i really need is something that allows me to hear a thud of a kick drum. As everything else is on a steep cutoff @ 30hz .
Don't want to risk biting the bullet without listening to the 8351 and be kicking myself if i can't judge bottom end anymore...Dutch and dutch look quite good too, but at that cost bracket i open myself up to some nice Barefoot MM26 or 27's.

Last edited by Lsixtysix; 1st June 2019 at 12:19 PM..
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

for the op's type of music, i'd get a sub, regardless of how low the mains go; dsp makes integration easier, so i'd suggest kh310, kh805 and a lake lm44.
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
I'm also in Sydney. I'm tossing up between the ATC 20 (probably added sub) or Genelec 8351A...I'm worried the ATCs might be more fussy with the room.
Not the 20s, they are quite forgiving with the room, but, nevertheless, needs decent treatment. If you can't be bothered with room treatment definitely DSP monitoring solutions should be considered.
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Not the 20s, they are quite forgiving with the room, but, nevertheless, needs decent treatment. If you can't be bother with room treatment definitely DSP monitoring solutions should be considered.
No I have as good treatment as I feel is possible but that only takes u so far in a less than perfect space. Does anyone have any ideas about minimum listening distances to Atc20s by the way?
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone have any ideas about minimum listening distances to Atc20s by the way?
Now that depends a bit on your room acoustics. In theory I'd say around 3.5ft. should be the minimum. Soundstage locks in very well in my room at 5.5ft, though. You mentioned placing them close to the wall, it might work, test them at location if you can, it's the only way to know the answer.
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, i agree that from the KH310 to the 8341 the upgrade wasn't too significant, but it's definitely there. I'm curious about the low end on the 8351 vs the KH310? I just got the impression the 310a lacked a little low end punch. All i really need is something that allows me to hear a thud of a kick drum. As everything else is on a steep cutoff @ 30hz .
Don't want to risk biting the bullet without listening to the 8351 and be kicking myself if i can't judge bottom end anymore...Dutch and dutch look quite good too, but at that cost bracket i open myself up to some nice Barefoot MM26 or 27's.
The 310 & 8351 are quite similar in terms of bottom end extension, I don't need a sub with either but obvs with a sub you get that extra octave & the energy that brings plus its will give you significantly more SPL as the drivers aren't working overtime anymore. FWIW the sub integration of the 8351 + GLM is extremely good
Old 2nd June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
The 310 & 8351 are quite similar in terms of bottom end extension, I don't need a sub with either but obvs with a sub you get that extra octave & the energy that brings plus its will give you significantly more SPL as the drivers aren't working overtime anymore. FWIW the sub integration of the 8351 + GLM is extremely good
Which model sub pairs with the 8351? I'm seriously considering the 8351's without a sub, then when I move into the room run another evaluation as to wether it makes sense adding one in that space. Might do more harm than good...

So is the consensus that the 8351's would perform well in my size room(4.3x3.5)? I'm also intrigued with the Glm dsp assistance as and it would be a nightmare trying to intergrate midfield or main size monitors with huge spl in such a space without really really think absorbers that would leave me with a claustrophobic space.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which model sub pairs with the 8351? I'm seriously considering the 8351's without a sub, then when I move into the room run another evaluation as to wether it makes sense adding one in that space. Might do more harm than good...

So is the consensus that the 8351's would perform well in my size room(4.3x3.5)? I'm also intrigued with the Glm dsp assistance as and it would be a nightmare trying to intergrate midfield or main size monitors with huge spl in such a space without really really think absorbers that would leave me with a claustrophobic space.
The biggest misconception is that sub might do more harm than good. Correctly integrated sub will always improve performance. I am using two 7360 subs and together with 8351 they form amazing system.
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well that makes 3 of us fellow Aussies!!! I'm also in Sydney. I'm tossing up between the ATC 20 (probably added sub) or Genelec 8351A. Upgrading from Focal Solos. (which I have liked but have just had a crisis of faith this month) My room is well treated as I can possibly get it but v oddly shaped ceiling as it's a converted loft. This has pros and cons acoustically. Fairly small as well so the the speakers have to be close to the wall. I'm probably leaning to the Genelec because I'm worried the ATCs might be more fussy with the room. The ATC 25s are out by the way due to horizontal placement being impossible.

It would obviously be great to test both in my space but as all Australians know, this is forbidden in our constitution. Any thoughts which way I should go? The Genelec room correction is also appealing as is the fact that they were designed for small spaces. Then again the ATC seems to have amazing mids. That's what I'd really like to hear better than I currently do. Was set on the ATCs but now am unsure. Any advice is welcome.
Make that 4 Aussies. I too have been contemplating all the monitors mentioned in this thread.

As you said, there is nowhere in this country where one could listen to Genelecs, ATC, Amphion and D&D side by side. I am outside of Melbourne and will soon demo a pair of 8351s from Bettermusic in Canberra (been dealing with a Chris there and he’s been great).

I lusted after D&Ds for some time, but after reading about the teething problems that some users are experiencing, coupled with the fact that D&Ds representation in Australia is very light, makes them a slightly risky proposition imo.
Old 2nd June 2019
Quote:
Hey man! I'm going to be in Sydney starting September, currently living in the US for University. I would love to swing through and spend a little bit of time with the ATC's, so perhaps I could contact you once I'm in Australia and we could arrange a time that wouldn't interfere with your work?

I'm really leaning towards D&D 8C's now, the DSP features seem amazing, but then again, I haven't heard much from anyone about them when compared to Barefoots or ATC's. I will be demoing some Barefoot MM27's over the summer when I'm in the UK, so I'll have a chance to hear those, and also the Kii Threes, so then it would just be the ATC's left to hear.

Wilson
I’m sure we could make that work...
Old 2nd June 2019
I use the Aeon 2's here with a custom 15" dual voice coil subwoofer. 25~40k hz response. Audio design legend Sandy Gross makes amazing stuff for the money.
www.goldenear.com
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Wilson
My suggestion may be a bit off given the room size, but considering your genre (hop hop) - and maybe a wish to hear your final result on dangerously loud club SPL... - I wanted to tell you about my experience with the new Genelec S360. I have had the 8351 for about 3 years and this week I compared 8351 with S360 in the same rooms across a wide range of material (music of all genres, films, TV, even internet radio).

Accuracy wise, I think you can come very far on music material with the S360. The S360 is NOT set back by colouration, distortion or things you normally associate with 2-way speakers with a compression driver. The Ones including 8351 are coaxials and yield a certain signature which is easy to like: Robust, big sweet spot both horizontally and vertically.

The S360 has ample power, high sensitivity (as evidenced by its high SPL capacity and not so «big» amplifiers) and may be perceived as more «engaging», dynamic and transient capable. These speakers are ideal to test audio material for «punch», and that «club feel».

Coupled with the 7380 sub - which is almost within your budget - 2xS360 and 1x7380 would certainly represent a package hard to beat for any needs, and especially for those who wish to test their finished audio material at dangerously loud club levels with lower distortion than any of the other speakers mentioned thus far.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search