The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Top end sheen options
Old 26th May 2019
  #1
Gear Nut
Top end sheen options

Hi all

I'm in the process of setting up a Stockholm studio that mirrors our London set up as closely as possible. We're currently using a Manley Massive Passive solely to add top end shimmer, it's permanently on our mix bus with shelf boosts at 3khz/8 and 12khz/20. However, given the increase in price since we bought it (it was £3.5k at the time, it's now £5.5k) I'm looking for other more affordable options that can do a similar job.

So far I've found 2 potential options. The UAD plugin version is apparently fairly accurate, but given how plugins usually fail to replicate the top end sweetness of analogue and that being precisely what I'm looking to do, I'm sceptical. The Kush Clariphonic seems like it might be a good option as it's designed specifically for this role. However, given it's unique approach to EQ, whether I can dial it in so that I can get near mix parity between locations is questionable though.

Any other suggestions and thoughts on the above?

Thanks in advance!
Old 26th May 2019
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashm View Post
...near mix parity between locations...
If that is your goal then I doubt anything other than a second Massive Passive will do the job. It's a unique sounding box. Another EQ can sound great but it will never sound the same. Mix parity would be doubtful. I would look for a used MP...

https://reverb.com/item/22139071-man...r-2000s-silver

https://reverb.com/item/24300232-man...tube-equalizer

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ssive&_sacat=0
Old 26th May 2019
  #3
Can't help with the parity part, but the A-Designs Hammer 2's top end is incredible. Smooth, open and effortless.
Old 26th May 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashm View Post
[...] mirrors our London set up as closely as possible. [...]
Well, hmmm...
...I guess (if you buy new) then that's probably gonna cost ya about £5.5k these days.
.
Old 26th May 2019
  #5
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
If that is your goal then I doubt anything other than a second Massive Passive will do the job. It's a unique sounding box. Another EQ can sound great but it will never sound the same. Mix parity would be doubtful. I would look for a used MP...
Thanks man, yeah I actually felt that it was risky given that it's a tube unit, whilst externally a unit might look fine internally the tubes might be another matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post
Can't help with the parity part, but the A-Designs Hammer 2's top end is incredible. Smooth, open and effortless.
Interesting shout, I'm considering demoing one.. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
...I guess (if you buy new) then that's probably gonna cost ya about £5.5k these days.
Haha! Tell me about it..
Old 27th May 2019
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashm View Post
Hi all

I'm in the process of setting up a Stockholm studio that mirrors our London set up as closely as possible. We're currently using a Manley Massive Passive solely to add top end shimmer, it's permanently on our mix bus with shelf boosts at 3khz/8 and 12khz/20. However, given the increase in price since we bought it (it was £3.5k at the time, it's now £5.5k) I'm looking for other more affordable options that can do a similar job.

So far I've found 2 potential options. The UAD plugin version is apparently fairly accurate, but given how plugins usually fail to replicate the top end sweetness of analogue and that being precisely what I'm looking to do, I'm sceptical. The Kush Clariphonic seems like it might be a good option as it's designed specifically for this role. However, given it's unique approach to EQ, whether I can dial it in so that I can get near mix parity between locations is questionable though.

Any other suggestions and thoughts on the above?

Thanks in advance!
If the MP is doing it for you, I would get another. I would recommend getting the same vintage as the one you have, as the design has changed thru the years.
Old 27th May 2019
  #7
If your system needs a permanent top boost applied you may want to recheck that system.
Old 27th May 2019
  #8
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR465 View Post
If the MP is doing it for you, I would get another. I would recommend getting the same vintage as the one you have, as the design has changed thru the years.
It's certainly starting to look that way! Good point, noted. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
If your system needs a permanent top boost applied you may want to recheck that system.
Hey Jim, it's not that our system necessarily needs a top boost, we just love the way the top of the MP sounds so mix through it into the SSL comp, so it's now ended up key to our sound.
Old 28th May 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 

How would you guys rate, the Pulse Pultec version?
Thanks, Chris
Old 28th May 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
Nothing else will be the same. However, Avalon EQ's are very good at the highs and may be worth a look. Not much a of a cost savings. I like the Clariphonic Idea, but again, not the same. If you like what you have, stick with it.
Old 28th May 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
DrSax's Avatar
For high end sheen, the clariphonic hardware is killer. A little goes a very long way
Old 28th May 2019
  #12
Here for the gear
 

i know you're talking about eq's, but when i read sheen i immediately thought of manley and then saw that is what you are using. i have a manley elop+ and it adds a lovely sheen also. perhaps just mildly running thru it would give you a similar sheen.
anyways sounds like the way to go is another mp.
Old 28th May 2019
  #13
Gear Nut
Yeah I think as much as I'd love to play with a new bit of gear (the Clariphonic in particular sounds like fun to use) I think the sensible thing to do is to get another MP as I can't see anything else sounding close to it
Old 28th May 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
bitman's Avatar
Maag EQ with 40khz air band?
Old 29th May 2019
  #15
Custom Audio Germany HDE-250 (M/S and custom trafo’s) top shelf is sweeeeeet!
Old 31st May 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootiv View Post
Custom Audio Germany HDE-250 (M/S and custom trafo’s) top shelf is sweeeeeet!
I wish the switched version wasnt so pricey.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump