The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rogers Studio 1a
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear
Rogers Studio 1a

Anyone recomend these in this day and age ?
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear
Anyone ever used these ?
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

The Studio 1a is, I think, pretty rare here in America so I haven’t had opportunity to hear them. Based on my earlier experience with various Rogers speakers, I suspect (assuming they are healthy) they’re quite nice, refined sounding monitors with an emphasis on good midrange resolution, as that has always been a strength of “British” speaker design and Rogers has always seemed to represent a pretty high quality product.

As to the radio silence on these, I’d guess it’s because they’ simply not too common. Have you heard them yourself?
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
As to the radio silence on these, I’d guess it’s because they’ simply not too common. Have you heard them yourself?
There's a pair in the charity shop round the corner for 100 quid - which is of course an absolute bargain .
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

I think they have too limited dynamic range for studio work. Rogers grew out of the whole BBC monitor license program which had many participants over the years and spawned Harbeth, Spendor and a few others. Many of these companies had founders that worked within the BBC, had significant connection to the project, departed after project was finalized to begin a commercial operation of their own fulfilling the BBC's needs on the annual license and contract. A guaranteed customer and more income than the a government engineer job! Many today don't know that the "BBC monitor" used a KEF driver kit as KEF did the significant engineering for the BBC on the project.

I think Rogers was a fairly linear midrange speaker that was pretty respectable from a British Hi Fi point of view. At home, where dynamics are limited, I think there was a time in the 80s/90s that if you had limited space and listened mostly to classical, this was a good option. I think today there are better options, with improved driver science (I know the ATC SCM7 is from this same British mini monitor heritage and has killer drivers in it). But I would not recommend those for studio work either as one could easily over power them and destroy them with studio dynamics. At home, amazing.

Brad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search