The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unbalanced to Balanced on Ebtech Line Shifter
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Unbalanced to Balanced on Ebtech Line Shifter

Hi. Not sure the High end is the right place to ask this. Anyway, just got an Ebtech Line Shifter 8 Channels XLR to place between some synths and my Apollo 16 mk2.

My doubt is the connection of unbalanced synthesizers to the -10 dBV sockets (also XLR on this Ebtech model). I know I should connect the tip of the jack to the pin 2 (+) and the screen to the cold 3 (-), but what do you say, shall I leave the XLR ground, pin 1, unconnected or shall I bridge it to pin 3?

Tried both ways with good but different results, so I can't decide how to leave these connections. Is there a right and wrong answer to this?

Thanks
peabreu
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As I understand it, there are 2 versions of this Ebtech unit: 1 with XLR jacks, and another with 1/4" jacks. Why didn't you get the one with 1/4" jacks, plus some adapter cables for XLR applications?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Well, was a question of price. This one was at an attractive price and I rather prefer to solder XLR than TRS.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have Ebtech Hum Eliminators, and they adapt to TS connectors without any sort of modification. I've never had to do a soldering job when using them. I imagine the Level Shifter uses the same technology in its TRS version. That's why I asked.

I have no modding suggestions. Sorry.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ok, thanks but is no modding. Should be called how to connect unbalanced on XLR jack.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search