The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hiss in Portico 2 channel strip with nothing connected
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hiss in Portico 2 channel strip with nothing connected

Hi,

I am new to the forum, so apologies if this is not the right forum.

I am the proud owner of a Portico 2 channel strip.
However, recently, I have been wondering about noise in the unit.
Does it need maintenance by a technician?
Help is appreciated.
There is some kind of hiss in the unit, which I have not heard before, even without cables connected.

Problem:

With the eq engaged, the hiss appears when engaging the lmf band and becomes prominent with the compressor engaged. It is a sweepable hiss similar to a white noise on a synth, but not as loud. By sweepable, I mean it changes character according to the position of the potmeter (lmf freq.).

When recording a bass synth, as I have before, with some eq and comp (8 db GR), the end result has a clear hiss in the upper register, which is audible in a way it was not before.

I know you guys have a lot of technical know-how, so is this symptoms a classic maintenance job? (cleaning/soldering/replacement etc.)

Thanks in advance!
Old 3 weeks ago
I've experienced proximity hum when the power transformer from one unit (mercury m72s) when it's powered on, causes noise in channel 2 of my BAE MPF
which was racked above it. First step is to power off everything but the portico and your daw to check if the hiss persists. Next physically remove it from your rack and see if the noise persists. If it's still a problem then hopefully someone else can chime in, but you might also just want to call RND support.

Good luck.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have two of these units an they've both required repair to the pre-amp stages. Try following the miracle's suggestions, then contact RND support. They're great units when they work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search