The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help choosing the right mic
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Help choosing the right mic

Hello friends! Hope all is well
I have been looking over some microphones . I currently have a sm7b and would like to own condenser now.
I really enjoy drake style vocals Lil skies sound, trippie red, a boogie , that singy autotuney style
Is what I'm am aiming for .

Some mics I have researched are shure ksm32 ,advance audio Cm800t cm87 , jj audio Akita.

I don't know how much I should spend at what price range does microphone quality stop mattering? And what what price range do you go from cheap to good to great vocal results .Can some one please help me with this .
my voice is like a counter tenor maybe a tenor .sometimes my voice can be a Lil dull I'm working on my higher notes .
around 1500 is my limit but I dont mind saving money if its not really worth the higher price .

.if somebody wants to help me find some thing from the used section in guitarcenter that ould suite me better that would be awesome because I could try it out and return if need be.

My gear is dynaudio bm5 mk2 which I just upgraded from krks rokits 6s.
Mac pro 2012, apogee duet 1 gen . I'm going to upgrade to rme ucx soon. I think .
And I'm getting my room treated slightly thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Bumpy Mcbumpertin
Old 2 weeks ago
I have researched Advanced Audio quite extensively and I am getting ready to purchase a few of his mics myself. I see you referenced his CM87 and from all the research I have done, I would say if you want that U87 sound, look at his CM 47fet/CE (custom edition). If memory serves me correctly a few things Dave said about this mic on multiple forums was that it sounds more like a mix of a Vintage U87 and a 47Fet. I also heard that it sounds like what a solid state m49 would sound like.This mic has very good reviews. I am not familiar with any of those artists you mentioned tho I know drake is a rapper, or maybe a basketball cheerleader IDK lol, but for that style, sibilance may be too much with a CM87. It appears his mics are a great bang for the buck. I will also be purchasing a 48 tube from him but with his custom transformer
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Part of that sound is a 1073 into an LA2A.
Old 2 weeks ago
I completely ageee. I use a CL1A for myself and to me that completely rounds out the tone in my voice with all that great presence. With his 1500 budget he can get the 47fet CE for around 400$ and save some more for a good comp and pre.
Old 2 weeks ago
What currency does your 1500 refer to, OP? That could make a difference. I'll assume that it's US dollars since you mentioned GC. For a vocal mic, you might look at tube condensers in the style of the classic U47, although to get a decent clone (Flea 47, Pearlman TM-47, and others), you're talking about mics in the $2300-$3500 ballpark. Closer to your price range, you might look at Telefunken's TF47 and CU-29. Fine mics in your budget range. Maybe not on a par with a brand new Neumann M149, but they aren't five grand, either.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply intricate View Post
Hello friends! Hope all is well
I have been looking over some microphones . I currently have a sm7b and would like to own condenser now.
I really enjoy drake style vocals Lil skies sound, trippie red, a boogie , that singy autotuney style
Is what I'm am aiming for .

Some mics I have researched are shure ksm32 ,advance audio Cm800t cm87 , jj audio Akita.

I don't know how much I should spend at what price range does microphone quality stop mattering? And what what price range do you go from cheap to good to great vocal results .Can some one please help me with this .
my voice is like a counter tenor maybe a tenor .sometimes my voice can be a Lil dull I'm working on my higher notes .
around 1500 is my limit but I dont mind saving money if its not really worth the higher price .

.if somebody wants to help me find some thing from the used section in guitarcenter that ould suite me better that would be awesome because I could try it out and return if need be.

My gear is dynaudio bm5 mk2 which I just upgraded from krks rokits 6s.

Mac pro 2012, apogee duet 1 gen . I'm going to upgrade to rme ucx soon. I think .
And I'm getting my room treated slightly thanks
Regarding your last line, I'd make getting an Aston Halo, part of your budget.
Then place a hanging blanket/duvet behind you, for vocals.

If budget is a concern, the Advanced Audio microphones, have a very good rep.
If the budget allows, you may want to consider their version, of the Sony 800G.

There is an "expert mic person" (Paul G) who posts more frequently in High End.
If he says a microphone is very good, you KNOW it's very good.
He thinks highly of the AA microphones, including their Sony 800 version FWIW.

You'd still do very well, with AA's versions of the vintage and current U87 though.
Based on your vocal description, I'd lean more towards the 800, or more modern (brighter) U87 sound. IIRC AA's "modern" U87 style is $100 more, than the other.

BTW you may also want to consider adding a Beyer M88TG too. Terrific vocal dynamic mic, brighter than your SM7. Can use it for live performance too.
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search