The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end, compact monitors (less than 5" woofer) for travel?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

High end, compact monitors (less than 5" woofer) for travel?

Hello,

I am wanting a pair of monitors that are suitable for travel and very clean on the high end. I do not care about low frequency reproduction since these will be used for field recording, and any bass rumble would be uniformly high passed. Any double checking of bass would be done on headphones. Just to stress this enough - these will not be used for music.

I know that Genelec makes 3" and 4" monitors with their 8010 and 8020 models, but I was curious if there were other monitor manufacturers that were known for very precise, high end audio that made monitors with very small dimensions.
Old 4 weeks ago
Yamaha msp5a?

They're compact enough but with an amp per speaker they weight a fair bit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

IK multimedia iLoud micro monitor.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
Hello,

I am wanting a pair of monitors that are suitable for travel and very clean on the high end. I do not care about low frequency reproduction since these will be used for field recording, and any bass rumble would be uniformly high passed. Any double checking of bass would be done on headphones. Just to stress this enough - these will not be used for music.

I know that Genelec makes 3" and 4" monitors with their 8010 and 8020 models, but I was curious if there were other monitor manufacturers that were known for very precise, high end audio that made monitors with very small dimensions.
"Very clean on the high end" -- you can get that on just about anything these days, given tweeter materials and design.

I always start with Sweetwater and B&H for gear ideas and move on from there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,

Well Genelec does also the 8331, which are the smallest 3way avalaible on the market right now.. It's not inexpensive, of course, it's high end..but it's very portable, also compared to several other 2ways.

Another one I'd check is the KS Digital C5 Reference, a small coaxial loudspeaker that is surprisingly good AND not too expensive. Very portable.

There there are the small gennies and neumann kh80. But are not really comparable with the above mentioned monitors imho.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
These are pretty small and have an excellent top end due to the folded ribbon tweeter (air motion transformer). They have a 5" woven fiber woofer and a rear port for rather good low end. Only $229 shipped. B1's from:
www.emotiva.com
Old 4 weeks ago
Upcoming iLoud MTMs might be worth waiting for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
These are pretty small and have an excellent top end due to the folded ribbon tweeter (air motion transformer). They have a 5" woven fiber woofer and a rear port for rather good low end. Only $229 shipped. B1's from:
www.emotiva.com
Jim, those are passive, it means the OP have to lug around an amp (and a decent one).. are you somewhat involved in the design of these?

anyway depending how the OP is setup might not be the best option for him..

unless he has a wheeled rack of some sorts with other stuff and at least 2 or 3RU of space in that rack to put in an amplifier... not what I'd call portable.

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
^ That, plus they are showing as "Sold out" on the website.
Old 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

Eve Audio SC203 !

These are more than toys, really great stereo imaging and depth.
They also go relatively low because of the passive radiator design.
I love em to death. They also translate really well.

You can also get a travel bag for them, which can also hold a mac book for example.

I really fell in love with them, because they are so versatile in my opinion.

You can connect them via mini jack or make use of the internal burr brown converters/interface using a USB connection.
theres also a optical input slot which i haven´t used yet.

They sound HUGE!

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Stick with your gut on the 8020D.

I'm nearly laughing at some of these recommendations. The OP is doing field recordings. The speakers will likely go through a lot and get beat to hell. The metal cabinet Genelecs and the grills over the drivers will keep them good. I still have a pair of the 8030A Genelecs from 2006 that have been backpacked through a few countries (and humidities) and still work and look just as they were new.

These other fibreboard and mdf constructs will fall apart.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
^ That, plus they are showing as "Sold out" on the website.
Guess they are popular? I have a pair in the shop. A tiny Project Audio style power amp will run these fine and those amps sit in the palm of your hand.

As to longevity, MDF seems to hold up in wet countries unless you mix in the rain. At $229, losing them won't hurt very much.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Stick with your gut on the 8020D.

I'm nearly laughing at some of these recommendations. The OP is doing field recordings. The speakers will likely go through a lot and get beat to hell. The metal cabinet Genelecs and the grills over the drivers will keep them good. I still have a pair of the 8030A Genelecs from 2006 that have been backpacked through a few countries (and humidities) and still work and look just as they were new.

These other fibreboard and mdf constructs will fall apart.

Right about what I was going to say
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Neumann KH80’s.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Right about what I was going to say
Yep to both of you.

I am going to do a shootout between the 8010 and 8020, my ideal goal is a travel size flight case with all the gear in it or a large bag. I have heard the 8010s can be "woofy" around 125hz or so, but would be the more portable option.

But yeah, it seems like my only other options in the quality range I want are the Neumann KH80, and while I love KH gear its meant for staying in a studio for sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
But yeah, it seems like my only other options in the quality range I want are the Neumann KH80, and while I love KH gear its meant for staying in a studio for sure.
How so? The tweeters and woofers are both protected with metal grilles and the size is right.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I often travel with my ART RM5's. They pack nicely into a foam lined suit case.
Old 4 weeks ago
Genelec 8010A

unreal sound from such a small speaker.

I want a pair for myself!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

While larger than 5", the overall diminutive volume of the PSI A14-M might qualify them for your purposes.

They're exceptional for field recording playback, capturing the timbre and timing of anything nature -- from birdsong to streams and frogs -- can throw at them. And what bass they do reproduce, is reproduced dryly, tightly and accurately.

The Broadcast version offers a metal grill and bracket that may double as a carrying handle and to tilt them up when on a table.
Old 4 weeks ago
For 6" these Sandy Gross designs are hard to beat for the $. I use the Aeon 2's. They do 40 hz rather well alone. The mids and top end are fabulous.
www.goldenear.com
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
How so? The tweeters and woofers are both protected with metal grilles and the size is right.
The KH80 monitor cabinet is polycarbonate vs the aluminum case of the Genelec series. I am planning on doing a long trip where I am basically staying in small cabins and conservancy buildings doing nature audio work, and metal >>> plastic.

I love the Klein & Hummel designs just wrong choice for the job.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The KH80 monitor cabinet is polycarbonate vs the aluminum case of the Genelec series. I am planning on doing a long trip where I am basically staying in small cabins and conservancy buildings doing nature audio work, and metal >>> plastic.

I love the Klein & Hummel designs just wrong choice for the job.
Have you gotten to handle them in person? I own a pair of KH120A's and I can assure you they are super sturdy and not in any way fragile. I actually believed they were metal enclosures until your last post.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If you want as much high end detail as possible, I'd look at ribbons (EVE, Adam, HEDD).

I can't stand ribbons though so audition before buying.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Genelec 8331 wd be great for this, hard to beat at that size

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search