The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U87 vs Chandler TG mic
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

U87 vs Chandler TG mic

Hi all,

I'm in a place where I finally want to upgrade to a high end all-rounder mic.
I've been using a modded K2 for years and hiring in bigger/better bits when needed, however a lot of my job these days tends to be a bit last minute and having something as a solid workhorse for a mix of vocals and instruments.

U87 would be a safe bet I know, I've used it hundreds of times and it always does a 'good' job - however, the new TG mic from Chandler ticks a few versatility boxes for me and sits in a similar price bracket.
Has anyone here had much experience with the TG, and have any advice or active comparison thoughts to a U87?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Personally (as an owner of a few 87s) I would go for the TG

If I was starting a new locker then I would also take the TG
Old 4 weeks ago
The TG is a lovely mic. More poke than a U87.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi Paul - when you say poke, do you mind elaborating a little more? I'd guess high mid poke which is something I'm not a fan of as such?
Nice part of the world btw
Old 4 weeks ago
MYN
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
The TG is a lovely mic. More poke than a U87.
Also curious. Do you mean more mid-forwardness?
Old 4 weeks ago
Following this since I'm in pretty much exactly the same boat!
Old 4 weeks ago
Sorry to mislead anyone. I meant gutsier in a powerful and clear, tube microphone type way. I was quite shocked.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I used the TG alongside a U87 to learn and compare. I went with the TG every time.
The TG does a lovely thing to the bottom as well as the top, where as I never liked what a U87 did around 120Hz. Especially on vocals. The TG is a tonne more versatile as well!
Old 4 weeks ago
MYN
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sorry to mislead anyone. I meant gutsier in a powerful and clear, tube microphone type way. I was quite shocked.
Thanks for clearing that up, Paul. One other thing. Speaking of mids, I read in TapeOp that the "A" setting is more mid-forward. How would you say the mids in A compare to the mids of an 87?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, Paul. One other thing. Speaking of mids, I read in TapeOp that the "A" setting is more mid-forward. How would you say the mids in A compare to the mids of an 87?
They are thicker, more pronounced and clearer but I only have smoother vintage U87's to go by. The TG is a very modern but classic sounding mic. If that makes sense.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the comments all - How about the B setting of the mic? I guess I hope it to have the clean/flatness of something like a TLM170
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I've ordered the TG mic with a view to selling my U87ai once i've played with it for a bit.

I haven't really been a fan of the Neumann since i got it. Not saying it's a bad mic, just not what i'm after.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

One big difference that hasn’t been mentioned is the workflow. The TG has several different sounding settings that have to be changed on the mic itself. So you may find yourself running into back and forth from the booth and control room to change settings a few times before settling on something. Not a deal breaker for everyone but something to think about.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
One big difference that hasn’t been mentioned is the workflow. The TG has several different sounding settings that have to be changed on the mic itself. So you may find yourself running into back and forth from the booth and control room to change settings a few times before settling on something. Not a deal breaker for everyone but something to think about.
I just get "the talent" to do it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey, that could even entertain the Talent!
I've got some good Classic Soul Train moves, for that. Get on the good foot.

Easy on the James Brown splits though!
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
More poke than a U87.
This is what I've heard on the demo's I've had the opportunity to hear. And honestly, I preferred the Neumann. I have not heard a TG demo that KILLED me. On some of the demo's, Neumann's that I'm intimately familiar with sound broken and strangely weird. So....

It's interesting though that those that have both seem to really like the TG. I just can't seem to embrace the sound of it from what I've heard. I'm tempted to try out a pair, but at this point, I'm kinda on a mic moratorium.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The best male vocal I've heard through it, was John Kennedy's recent audio clip of himself ...
Over at Real Gear Online. Sounded terrific.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It's been ordered! - plan to do a few videos/sound clips when it arrives on varying sources if anyone is interested
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Congrats!

Well, as Bill Shakespeare once said... "mic moratorium or mic more-a for me...Uhm?".
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
This is what I've heard on the demo's I've had the opportunity to hear. And honestly, I preferred the Neumann. I have not heard a TG demo that KILLED me. On some of the demo's, Neumann's that I'm intimately familiar with sound broken and strangely weird. So....

It's interesting though that those that have both seem to really like the TG. I just can't seem to embrace the sound of it from what I've heard. I'm tempted to try out a pair, but at this point, I'm kinda on a mic moratorium.
I tested them with a young singer and I think these modern mics are a generational thing, like digital, the C800G or when the Neptunes first came on the scene. Hence the REDD vs U87 thread.
Youngsters like the edge. They don't want retro warmth so much as they never used tape.
They want cutting clarity if you'll excuse the generalisation.
Personally I think the TG is the best of both worlds.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Paul, I have the same thoughts - Ideally I'd have a bunch of options - certainly the 'older' artists I work with lean towards the warmer sound, though not by a landslide - it really depends on their influences I guess, but from my experience younger artists seem to smile more when the sound is bright, crispy and full (smiling for a smile curve?)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I tested them with a young singer and I think these modern mics are a generational thing, like digital, the C800G or when the Neptunes first came on the scene. Hence the REDD vs U87 thread.
Youngsters like the edge. They don't want retro warmth so much as they never used tape.
They want cutting clarity if you'll excuse the generalisation.
Personally I think the TG is the best of both worlds.
Interesting Paul. As for the young vocalists having to smile...I have to smile too though..... Will probably try them at some point. Have you put them up on drum overs?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Interesting Paul. As for the young vocalists having to smile...I have to smile too though..... Will probably try them at some point. Have you put them up on drum overs?
Yeah the TG sounds great on drums.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah the TG sounds great on drums.
Sweet!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod37 View Post
but from my experience younger artists seem to smile more when the sound is bright, crispy and full (smiling for a smile curve?)
Till mix time..
Noobs always prefer the brighter signals.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Young vocalists?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Young vocalists?
Haha! Sorry Paul, that was actually pointed towards JRod37's comment on young artists and their preference for brighter mics / vocals. Sorry for the confusion of combining two thoughts into one sentence.

Now, back to my full, dark, warm mixes....
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Young vocalists?
Sorry it was my wacky British sense of humour.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sorry it was my wacky British sense of humour.

Ahaaaaa..... Mmmmmm......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search