The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
REV A/B REV D 1176 - HAIRBALL VS SERPENT AUDIO MK ii
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

REV A/B REV D 1176 - HAIRBALL VS SERPENT AUDIO MK ii

I've been reading a lot of 1176 inspired clone threads. But I don't see much in direct comparison between Hairball and Serpent. All the extra bells and whistles aside I'm not convinced that the splice really nails the tone. I'm going by audio examples on line as well as video demos.
Cosmetically I find serpent audio stuff to look a bit f-ugly and the front panel is so dang busy looking. I love the classic look of the 1176 best. and the color schemes relevant to the revisions. The serpent looks a bit like an energy drink company inspired compressor. I could wear a blindfold while operating it though if it has the tone.

The Mohog sounds tasty but is a Rev F. I have all the plugins. Just tired of plugins period. The only other FETS i own are a pair of Chandler Germs and a UBK Fatso. I would like to get something that more resembles tone wise what I hear in the UA REV A and D plugins. Not at all interested in authentic UREI or their price tags. The various Hairballs seem to have a bit more of that harmonic grit etc but I can't really demo one. And won't build it. I'd buy a pre built model of each the A and D. But if the Serpent sounds as good or better as the hairballs I would buy one.

Anyone spent time with both? Seems like most everyone has compared everything to the Serpent except the hairball or MNATS 500 series on Gearslutz. Also, Splice was the talk of GS before it came out. But light reading once it was released. And it's been what? 4-5 years now out in the wild?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I think the Splice MK2 is a superb unit and on my wish list in it's 500 format.

The Splice is like LA2A's in so much as you almost never see them come up second hand. It seems to me when someone buys Splice 76 they never sell it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The people that like them seem to praise them but then that could be down to all the extra features or the fact that it’s possibly the only modernisation of an 1176. Does it have the harmonic distortion Character that the more straight forward clones have? I’m more less wanting to use an abuse it in the same way as the plugins.
So a 2:1 ratio and a blend knob etc isn’t as much of a selling point. Having both the revisions that I want in one unit is a the attraction.
I’m most wanting to hear from people who have used hair balls as well. I like enough of what I hear in the on line demos of those. I can hear the grit and the character. The tranny coloration. I also hear that in the rev F mohog demos.

But what I hear in the splice demos is a cleaner more neutral sounding compressor. Even if the compression characteristics are 1176 like, the overall distortion of the box seems somehow more polite and clean. The coloration not as obvious. I could demo one but then I can’t demo a hairball and have a side by side listen.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
The people that like them seem to praise them but then that could be down to all the extra features or the fact that it’s possibly the only modernisation of an 1176. Does it have the harmonic distortion Character that the more straight forward clones have? I’m more less wanting to use an abuse it in the same way as the plugins.
So a 2:1 ratio and a blend knob etc isn’t as much of a selling point. Having both the revisions that I want in one unit is a the attraction.
I’m most wanting to hear from people who have used hair balls as well. I like enough of what I hear in the on line demos of those. I can hear the grit and the character. The tranny coloration. I also hear that in the rev F mohog demos.

But what I hear in the splice demos is a cleaner more neutral sounding compressor. Even if the compression characteristics are 1176 like, the overall distortion of the box seems somehow more polite and clean. The coloration not as obvious. I could demo one but then I can’t demo a hairball and have a side by side listen.

I've never used a hairball, so no luck there, but if you have a short mono signal you want to hear crushed I can put it through the splice @ 20:1 in slam mode when time permits. Not sure if that's a help or not..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I bought 2 early splices. Loved em enough to buy two more. Nuff said....
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, ordering a serpent 19’. You all have been in their corner for a long while so that must mean something good.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
I've never used a hairball, so no luck there, but if you have a short mono signal you want to hear crushed I can put it through the splice @ 20:1 in slam mode when time permits. Not sure if that's a help or not..
Thank you kindly for the offer! I would take you up on it but I’ve decided to just go ahead and pick up one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
Thank you kindly for the offer! I would take you up on it but I’ve decided to just go ahead and pick up one.
I believe the likelihood of you regretting that decision is low enough to be statistically insignificant.

The splice has lots on offer, and it's a fun unit to play with.
All this talk makes me wish I had a pair.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have 2 hairball Rev D's
Great comps. Aggressive. I especially like them on drums. Great on electric guitars as well.

No regrets.
Old 1 day ago
Just did a shootout video between Hairball Rev A and a pair of Vintage Rev A's if this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhHWPwCAXU0

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search