The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube Preamp Options for Vocals
Old 19th May 2019
Here for the gear

Tube Preamp Options for Vocals

Looking for a tube preamp to complement my solid state selection (primarily for vocals) and wondering if anyone can help me differentiate between or add to the options I’ve discovered so far: V72/76, REDD 47, Retro Powerstrip, Fearn VT-1, Coil 286/70, OP-6? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Addict

LaChapell has a new single tube pre, 983M with a DI too or their 500 series. My favourite.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear
Locomotive.
Millinia-Forsell(very used)
Vipre (Also out of production)

I know they are not tube, but AEA preamps for ribbons/moving coil are great, desgined by Forsell
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Addict

I used to have a Demeter HXM-1 tube microphone preamp and I'm kinda sorry I didn't hang on to it. Although they don't advertise and are not trending Demeter mic preamps are available at demeteramps.com. Great sound! Google and you'll find lots of info. The Demeter preamps can be heard on many many hit records including early Eagles, Crosby Stills and Nash, Alanis Morisette, etc. etc. It's another way to go.

I sold the Demeter because I got heavily into ribbon mics and wanted the AEA RPQ preamp. Great sound!

But frankly I wish I'd kept the Demeter for use with my condensers and dynamics. It could make a Shure SM57 sound absolutely awesome! I may end up buying another one when I can afford it.

Last edited by Al Rogers; 20th May 2019 at 12:06 AM..
Old 19th May 2019
Mercury for color. The m76 has more airy presence the m72 has a thicker mid. LaChapell for more neutrality but still has a smooth euphonic character all around. Also the Chandler REDD is great, very flexible and can cover a range of cleanish to more color.
Old 19th May 2019
My main tube pres for vocals are:

Demeter VTMP2b

Mastering Lab Mic Pre
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

I have not tried all of these, but I have always been very pleased with the REDD.47 on vocals. Very forgiving and satifying to my ear.
Old 4 weeks ago
Roll Tubule
Gyratec
Handcrafted Labs
I think someone has a Pultec MB-1 clone out there too
Lots of choices these days in the high end of things
Old 4 weeks ago
I use preamps and outboard gear by Avalon, Manley, UA, AEA and RME. Lots of very nice bells and whistles. But you can have the bells and whistles. The only one that I will never, ever let go of is the big, red tank in the middle of my rack, my D.W. by God badassed Fearn VT-1.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Pendulum Audio if you want mild tube flavor. Glorious sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
I love my Mercury m72s. Sounds great.

If I could get any 4 in my room for a day it'd be Fearn, Redd.47, Coil ..
..and that OP-6..?

..did I say 4?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Gyraf G9
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Weight Tank WT-72
Old 4 weeks ago
AB3
Lives for gear

I would grab the locomotive for sale in the classified. (I do not know the person). It is a killer tube mic pre for vocals or anything where you want that tubey rich sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have a few, but my DW Fearn is the best of them all.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Has anyone tried the new Wunder tube PEQ2 module? Nobody seems to talk about Wunder Audio much anymore...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
Has anyone tried the new Wunder tube PEQ2 module? Nobody seems to talk about Wunder Audio much anymore...
Got a link? Can’t see in the website.

Wiggy
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have two of the pre amps that you've mentioned. The Chandler Redd47 and the Lachappell's.

Totally agree with Nathan on his description regarding the Lachapell's. More neutral for certain.

The Redd47 is one special pre amp.

My favorite tube pre. Truly.

None of the companies make inferior products.

Chandler and Mercury both have a chassis that is built like a tank.

There is just something about Chandler. Let's call it "tone".

For days and days.

The Redd47 gives you that Beatles push which is how I use it personally. Thick, present. Tone.

(The Redd47 and the RS 124. My favorite pieces of gear in my studi)

I'm a knob twister. I've always been more concerned about how to get the sound out of something rather than have any interest in the internal mechanics.

There's a video of Warren Huart discussing a recording/re-building of 'Come Together' but you have to find the link at the end of the following video :

https://binged.it/2Qjrh05

There's a link in the vid to the actual song and recording of it.

You'll hear Redd47 galore.
Old 4 weeks ago
as others have stated its all quality gear in play

i have owned redd47, avalon737, tree audio branch. they ALL produce excellent results.

the only thing about the redd is the impedance loading is so low (200 ohms) that I feel like it changes the tonality of some microphones.

i had the redd47--rs124 setup but sold it because i felt the tree audio pieces were just as good and I got two channels of preamp and limiters compared to 1

that being said... i feel like the redd has the widest range of sounds. i just didnt need all of em
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'm actually selling my incredible two channel Edwards Audio Engineering LE-10 tube pres!
I have to downsize/make money/room for my new child.

These sound incredible and mine is barely used. They have the iconic Ampex sound without the retro price tag or maintenance. Hand made in California.

Hit me up if interested
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Got a link? Can’t see in the website.

Wiggy
Oops missed this. Yeah I don't see it either on the website but I remember it being announced at NAMM or something. Dealers have it:

https://vintageking.com/wunder-audio-peqtube-module
https://www.proaudiola.com/wunder-au...er-peqtube.htm
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Here's the video that I was referring to. I wasn't at home when I wrote the prior post and didn't have access to my browser history.

Most of what you hear is Redd47 and RS 124 on just about everything.

https://producelikeapro.lpages.co/cl...deo-thank-you/

Enjoy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
Oops missed this. Yeah I don't see it either on the website but I remember it being announced at NAMM or something. Dealers have it:

https://vintageking.com/wunder-audio-peqtube-module
https://www.proaudiola.com/wunder-au...er-peqtube.htm
Why are they saying it’s a 500 series module?

It says it’s designed for their Wunderbar console?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Fearn
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Why are they saying it’s a 500 series module?

It says it’s designed for their Wunderbar console?
Yeah 500 series is wrong, it’s for the Neve 10-series style frames, including of course the Wunderbar. I’m thinking of trying one in my rack..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Sonic Farm
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

$49 Art Tube MP. Eats Great Rivers for lunch. Oops this is High End!
Chris

P.S All in fun! The Great River is a great Pre.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search