The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundcraft Series 760 2-inch Saturation Plugins
Old 30th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Soundcraft Series 760 2-inch

Hi,

I recently acquired a Soundcraft Series 760 2-inch tape machine for a snip as it was sold as faulty. A little TLC and basic knowledge soon got it up and running.

Anyway, I know its not a Studer or MCI but what is the general opinion of you older tape-experienced slutz on this machine. Be kind as I am quite excited with it!
Old 30th May 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChunkyStudio View Post
Hi,

I recently acquired a Soundcraft Series 760 2-inch tape machine for a snip as it was sold as faulty. A little TLC and basic knowledge soon got it up and running.

Anyway, I know its not a Studer or MCI but what is the general opinion of you older tape-experienced slutz on this machine. Be kind as I am quite excited with it!
There was one in this place....before I bought the place. I worked on it a few times, and it was fine. Tape is tape, and if you got a great deal on it...congrats and enjoy.

The machine I was always really curious about was the Soundcraft Saturn, which was actually developed by Brenell...who made the famous 1 inch eight trach desktop machine that Phi Collins used on many of his early hits.
Old 30th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChunkyStudio View Post
Hi,

I had one what color is it brown or bluish?I hope you have the bluish one which is a MkIII, which was the best of the bunch. The capstan motors is pretty loud the meters are tiny so the decks abit of a pain to align, the transport is sloppy, and the electronics are not as nice as on a more modern deck like say an MTR 90. I think Brennel had something to do with the 760's also the Saturn was Soundcraft's attempt at going after Studer. How close they got I don't know. The good news about the 760's was, you could align them to +9over 185nw, the deck fits in the back of a VW rabbit, and it somehow sounds OK, I made quite a few records on it.
Old 31st May 2007
Gear Maniac

Cheers for the information chaps. Very informative.
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

At least one version of the 760's had tape speed consistency issues. I don't recall which one. When I was looking, a previous owner of one told me a horror story of having to retrack a whole album, gratis, because the pitch wavered randomly during beds and overdubs.

-Dale
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

Had one... till have the 1624 console i bought with it... the machine was a mess ... i made some lovely records with it that today sound as good as anything i did with my otari ... at 15ips the bass was really great....30 it had a nice sparkle......I dont miss the breakdowns and tape flying off but it did sound pretty darn good!

if you have a tech backround( althought I could tear it apart in a few hours) it could be a good option

cheers
Old 1st June 2007
Lives for gear

Had one in the 80's... still have the 1624 console i bought with it... the machine was a mess ... but... i made some lovely records with it that today sound as good as anything i did with my otari ... at 15ips the bass was really great....30 it had a nice sparkle......I dont miss the breakdowns and tape flying off but it did sound pretty darn good!

if you have a tech background( although I could tear it apart in a few hours) it could be a good option

cheers

SP
Old 1st June 2007
Gear Maniac

Cheers for the replies ,
both my studio partner and I have tech backgrounds. I'm BBC-trained. Hopefully we can keep this baby shipshape for a while.
Ronan.
Old 1st June 2007
which model/ or what color is it?
Old 2nd June 2007
Lives for gear

There was a guy in the UK somewhere that had LOADS of spares for these and did tech work on them too..

Not sure if he is still around but here is his old site and links etc..

The only site for Saturn Research multitrack tape recorder support - provided by Cliff Lawrence

Wiggythumbsup
Old 2nd June 2007
Lives for gear
The Saturn was acually developed with/for allen and Heath by the Brenell folks, who had worked with A and H on the mini 8 machine.

It was a capstanless design, and by the time they got it working A and H was involved with other stuff and felt it was more than they could handle. At the time they were struggling with several difficult launches, and the people that owned the company were more interested in getting out than getting in. But if I look deep enough around here, I could probably find some preliminary product lit on it. I'm pretty certain that by the time the Saturn was released they had abandoned the capstanless idea, and gone with something more conventional.

After A and H pulled out they took it to Soundcraft, although it was so late in the game I can't imagine they sold many. Still the Saturn was a super sexy looking machine that was rumored to sound killer.

It wasn't too long after that that Harmon started buying everything and killed it.
Old 9th February 2017
Here for the gear

Where can I find Audio Cards for a sound craft 352-24??
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search