The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 1081 Styled Pre-amp?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Neve 1081 Styled Pre-amp?

Hi Slutz,

So I'm in the market to get my first highend pre-amp to pair with my Manley Ref C for vocals.

I've been narrowing down my shortlist of 1073 styled pre-amps until the other day I came across the Acustica Navy plugin. It offers tone options for both the 1073 and 1081. Instantly I prefered the 1081. The mids felt less smeared and the top end open but controlled.

All of which leads me to my question. What pre-amps are out there that are closely related to the Neve 1081 tone?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Laz View Post
Hi Slutz,

So I'm in the market to get my first highend pre-amp to pair with my Manley Ref C for vocals.

I've been narrowing down my shortlist of 1073 styled pre-amps until the other day I came across the Acustica Navy plugin. It offers tone options for both the 1073 and 1081. Instantly I prefered the 1081. The mids felt less smeared and the top end open but controlled.

All of which leads me to my question. What pre-amps are out there that are closely related to the Neve 1081 tone?
PAST mic pre/EQ.

Beautifully built from original Neve parts by ex Neve employee Steve Butterworth.

Looks like a 31105, but according to Steve it they are somewhere in between a 1081 and a 1095 electronically.

I have a pair and they are lovely.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm sorry, but all you know is that you prefer the "1081 mode" of a certain plugin over its "1073 mode". You still haven't heard a real 1073 or 1081 preamp. So you can't thus conclude that you would prefer a 1081 over a 1073 just based on a switch on a plugin. That's like saying you wanted to go on vacation to Italy but you liked a picture you saw on the internet of Greece better, so now you're going there instead. Demo some real preamps; run some mics into them and record some real music and draw logical, real-life conclusions there.
Old 4 weeks ago
I'm not sure how much you can infer from the AA plug regarding the sound of the pre, and you'll certainly be happy with either a good 1073 or a good 1081 clone (or, original, obv.). Vintech seems to make a 1081 strip, but there are plenty of high quality 1073 pres and channels. Take your pick.

If you can demo them with your Ref C then do that, but you can also just watch for deals as long as you stick to reliable brands (BAE, Chandler, etc..) as I doubt you will find yourself to bothered too much by the differences between the various (high end) 1073 microphone pre amplifiers. I own a dual BAE 1073 MPF which I use all the time, but I'm sure that a chandler TG 500 would do the job equally well...

Anyways, have fun.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A plug-in has no signal path.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AML has a 1081 style 500 series preamp
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Hey, maybe these two AML 1081/1073 shootout clips can help you some more:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search