The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can you identify this three-track tape head?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Can you identify this three-track tape head?

Mystery.

I have taken custody of a box of 1/4" Otari and Ampex tape machine spares. In it amongst boards capstan and reel motors is an intriguing old three-channel head. Unlike centre track timecode heads the three tracks are equivalent in size and spacing.

It is marked MC England.

I can find no info on three track 1/4 inch machines so I'm intrigued!

I also have a 1/4" half-track stereo head from the same type of machine so I pictured them together for comparative purposes.

I've been using tape since 1986, but I had no idea such a format exists. Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Can you identify this three-track tape head?-img_5258.jpg   Can you identify this three-track tape head?-img_5261.jpg   Can you identify this three-track tape head?-img_5262.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That's from a broadcast cart machine.

Three tracks on 1/4" tape, two for L & R, and one track is the cue track to control starts and stops.

The stud on the back is how the head is held in place, because the head face needs to protrude into the tape cartridge so the head isn't mounted from the bottom or in a clip/clamp like assembly on a reel to reel machine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search