The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MCI JH24 or Studer A827? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
These are not stock, they are heavily modded/custom.
Wrong.

Again, he cleans them, repairs them, resells them. There’s No mod, No custom build. Not at all.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Mci JH-24

I think what Mara is doing is great. He’s brought many machines back to life that would of otherwise sat unused. Mara made a good business out of refurbishing JH-24’s and obviously there was enough people out there that wanted them. Mara also has a record making facility besides the studio. This guy has a lot of love and determination he put to good use and learned how to make it happen. Anybody could if they have the drive and determination. The only thing magical about it, is the sound! BOOM! Hahaha!

If you think for a second a studer doesn’t need to be repaired & maintained that’s laughable.

Mci JH-24’s Sound FAT!!! Sorry.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
Mci JH-24’s Sound FAT!!!

Ditto!

Actually, in regards to the Mara decks, I don't think $14k is a lot of money for a machine that's fully recapped with the heads lapped that has been fully gone over and will work for a long time. IME, it will still need a good amount of maintenance over the years - but it WILL run years. Vs. buying a machine off eBay that may barely run. If you want to run tape, that's part of the gig.

if I had the inclination to run tape again - which I don't - that's exactly where I'd head.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.R.Baboon View Post
The JH24 i had in mind has been sold..
Now I've got my eye on a MCI JH 110-8.

What do we think about that one,?

8 tracks is enough for my purposes...
The "C" version is excellent. I got those to record flat to 32k hz at 30 IPS. THD went down from .55% at +3 to .15% THD at +9.

Got tape?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I've owned a late Sony/MCI from new. I love that machine. To me....it sounds fatter than the Otaris I've worked on....and it punches faster than the Studers I've worked on.....and I can find parts anywhere.
Last week I took delivery of a Mara Sony/MCI Jh24. I don't know why people think Mara is charging $14k. $9k with a warranty and tech support. I don't have the time to refurbish a machine myself. I couldn't be happier

Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wrong.

Again, he cleans them, repairs them, resells them. There’s No mod, No custom build. Not at all.
You are correct. According to a close source he does rework the most common failure points, but it makes them more reliable and does not really affect the Sonics. Not major mods by any stretch of the imagination. When I found this out I realized he’s not doing anything a DIY guy like me can’t do. If you can’t wheel a soldering iron buy a Mara. The life long tech support is worth the price. I just know I can recap one for way less and I’m learning the decks by going through them with Steve. These decks are stupid simple.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. Boykin View Post
If you can’t wheel a soldering iron buy a Mara.
Some people just can't afford the time that it would take to DIY.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Some people just can't afford the time that it would take to DIY.
Touché. And in that case the price is a convenience and totally worth it. I send gear to Jim all the time because he’s affordable and has an Audio Precision. Other not so critical gear I do myself, or gear I can screw up and chalk it up to education.
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Mci JH-24’s Sound FAT!!! Sorry.
"Fat" now was "tubby" in 1980. Whichever you call it, it's way more acceptable now that your final mix won't deteriorate by several analog generations before it hits the airwaves and the street.

And "working" trumps everything else.
Old 2 hours ago
Here for the gear

I had a chance to see a Mara machine recently, It ran fine, but very little work seemed to have been done, I could not see any recapping in the audio, same original caps. A few caps on the servo board were replaced, but that was it.

The availability or parts for a Studer vs a MCI are about the same. There are very difficult to obtain parts on an MCI as well as a Studer. On a MCI, the reel resolver brushes is one, that is that "motor" on the back of the reel motors used in the servo system, when they wear out you are down. Very few parts on a Studer are not available from third parties.

The big difference is what you want to hear, it is an aesthetic choice. If you want transparency, you better stick with digital, Tape on any machine is not neutral. But that is why you want to use it. So listen to them, and decide which one floats your boat. YOUR boat. Then get to work.

As referring to the OP question, I'd take an A820MCH to an A827MCH any day.

For you in Nashville area, Steve Sadler is a great tech.

Cheers
Alan
Waltzing Bear Audio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search