The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ADAM S3V vs Focal Trio6 Be...
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Addict

ADAM S3V vs Focal Trio6 Be...

I've always wanted to really hear any objective differences in the sound as a whole between these two monitors.

They are in the same price range roughly so they would most likely offer very similar overall sound quality and build quality and reliability.

Here in Australia Focal isn't quite as well known as other brands. Most of the guys I know here prefer the high-end Genelecs (these are in a higher price range still) but I'm sure some have heard both ADAM and Focal midfields and nearfields.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has heard both and to hear their comments as to any differences between them.
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

Not the same models, but it may be of interest to you. A friend of mine had me over to his home studio to do a shootout between the S2V’s and the Twin Be6’s. The S2V’s actually cost a bit more but didn’t hold a candle to the Twins. The Focals were superior in every area. Wider and more immersive sound stage, more natural midrange, deeper low-end, more revealing. The Adam were a huge letdown to me. They sounded narrow, constricted and in many ways artificial. The bass and treble seemed overly aggressive, almost like it was going through some signal process. The sound stage was narrow. It was the easiest and quickest shootout ever.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Addict

That's an interesting observation. I was interested in the S3Vs but would have to check out the Trios as well.

I always thought that ADAMs had better front-back depth (more 3D) than practically any other monitors.

But of course I could always be wrong and I enjoy being proven wrong even if I have experience with the smaller ADAMs and can say that the ones I do own have never let me down as far as 3D depth is concerned.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Nut
Trios are superior. Heard both of them side by side. Will echo the "artificial" sound comment for Adams. The only thing Adams have going for them is loudness.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Addict

So I guess it's either the Trio6 or Solo6+Sub6 for me.

I was wondering what the difference would be for a Solo6+Sub6 against the Trios? I know the Trios reach down to 35Hz at -3dB which probably negates the need for a sub.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Nut
i would say it would mostly depend on how far do you seat from them. Trios are not nearfields by any measure and that was one of the reasons that i didnt get them (my room is rather small and i'm just a bit over 1 meter from the monitors).
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Addict

I usually sit around 3 1/2 to 5 feet max from my existing monitors.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Addict

I am that distance from my Trio 6 be's and they work beautifully at that range in my room.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Not the same models, but it may be of interest to you. A friend of mine had me over to his home studio to do a shootout between the S2V’s and the Twin Be6’s. The S2V’s actually cost a bit more but didn’t hold a candle to the Twins. The Focals were superior in every area. Wider and more immersive sound stage, more natural midrange, deeper low-end, more revealing. The Adam were a huge letdown to me. They sounded narrow, constricted and in many ways artificial. The bass and treble seemed overly aggressive, almost like it was going through some signal process. The sound stage was narrow. It was the easiest and quickest shootout ever.
You're comparing a 2-way to a 3-way so I guess there would be a pretty big difference.

If you can get to hear the S3V it might be a different experience.

I think I've decided to look at the Genelec 8351s. They seem to get rave reviews and also supposedly have the best stereo imaging and bass response of any monitor of their relatively small size. Apparently they stand toe to toe with the Focal SM9.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I can say quite comfortably that the Adam s4x -v comfortably crush (in every aspect) the focal twins. No area in which I preferred the Twins.

I haven’t heard the Adam s3v
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yea I heard Focal Trios right next to Adams and the Focals where much more flat and true to the material being played.

No surprise really

Class D amp with digital processing vs an in house designed and manufactured class A/B speaker from France. There's a reason fine wine comes from certain places and not others. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it lol
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Yea I heard Focal Trios right next to Adams and the Focals where much more flat and true to the material being played.

No surprise really

Class D amp with digital processing vs an in house designed and manufactured class A/B speaker from France. There's a reason fine wine comes from certain places and not others. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it lol
Class D amps are much more efficient than class A/B amps hence have more power in reserve to put out more volume.

Sure the Focals might be better - but at lower volumes.

That doesn't mean one is necessarily better than the other. Focal do produce great speakers though, but so do ADAM.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Weird, I ended up with s3xh. most realistic sounding of the lot and lots of vibe. That bass, I've never heard bass that quick before. super accurate and inspiring. Right away, I can't hear anything I'd change. I turned the tweeter up 2 steps just because I like how it sounds. Trio6 was amazing though. bigger sound stage. and Needs bigger room but adams kinda take my room out of the equation. That's not the first time I've heard that about adam speakers too. S3xh remind me of scm45 alot except not as sharp on my ears. im starting to think a good 3-way needs dual woofers. every dual woofer always sound tighter and the crossover is not as apparent. wasn't expecting it but the sound is like its attached to one of those vintage yamaha amps they use for ns10s but 8000$ tight. If you going the adam route, you might like the s3xh over the s3h or s3xv to s3v
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
Weird, I ended up with s3xh. most realistic sounding of the lot and lots of vibe. That bass, I've never heard bass that quick before. super accurate and inspiring. Right away, I can't hear anything I'd change. I turned the tweeter up 2 steps just because I like how it sounds. Trio6 was amazing though. bigger sound stage. and Needs bigger room but adams kinda take my room out of the equation. That's not the first time I've heard that about adam speakers too. S3xh remind me of scm45 alot except not as sharp on my ears. im starting to think a good 3-way needs dual woofers. every dual woofer always sound tighter and the crossover is not as apparent. wasn't expecting it but the sound is like its attached to one of those vintage yamaha amps they use for ns10s but 8000$ tight. If you going the adam route, you might like the s3xh over the s3h or s3xv to s3v
If you can find the X models...most are out of stock for a long time.

I ended up with a pair of SM9 which I haven't received yet but will come this week.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search