The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
attn manufacturers: gear service after fire, smoke & extinguishing water
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
attn manufacturers: gear service after fire, smoke & extinguishing water

hello all,

@ admin s
first of all, please move this thread if thats not the right subform

the kind of worst case happened to me:

the roof of the house im living in, running a bedroom studio in,... burned down.
my flat wasn't destroyed by the fire itself, but by the extinguishing water and was totally smoked out (smell, soot)

what would you do ?

the insurance budget is for the whole flat, should be enough to cover most of the damaged interior, but i have to economize.

the question i have is:
would you send the gear to the manufacturers for cleaning and, if needed, repairs to bring it back to specs ?
i don't know whats damaged yet, and how damaged these things are.
good thing is, the computers under the table seem ok-ish, the hd´s not destroyed, but most of my gear (fatso, eq2nv, converters, api2500,... was racked in the table and, i think, highly exposed to extinguishing water and smoke.

the whole house (150 flats) is policed, closed and cannot be entered for at least a few weeks.

thanks community
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Once upon a time I worked for a company that would go into a home or business after a fire, remove all electronics and appliances, clean the circuitry by blasting it with dry ice - kind of like a low power sand blaster, but with dry ice instead. Then we would test the piece and determine whether the piece would be reassembled and returned to the home owners or if it would be included in the insurance claim.

Usually this all happened within 48 hours. Soot is corrosive to varying degrees depending on what was burning and it was quite impressive to see how much would be inside a device had little or no ventilation holes but made its way through holes for jacks/pots/buttons.

If the unit was only exposed to soot and cleaned right away, it will be fine.

Not powered up and exposed to water and soot, it would be questionable, but the longer the wait before it gets cleaned, the less likely it will survive.

Powered up and exposed to water and soot, it's likely now defunct and not worth trying to fix, unless its some rare, highly valuable vintage piece.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb View Post
Once upon a time I worked for a company that would go into a home or business after a fire, remove all electronics and appliances, clean the circuitry by blasting it with dry ice - kind of like a low power sand blaster, but with dry ice instead. Then we would test the piece and determine whether the piece would be reassembled and returned to the home owners or if it would be included in the insurance claim.

Usually this all happened within 48 hours. Soot is corrosive to varying degrees depending on what was burning and it was quite impressive to see how much would be inside a device had little or no ventilation holes but made its way through holes for jacks/pots/buttons.

If the unit was only exposed to soot and cleaned right away, it will be fine.

Not powered up and exposed to water and soot, it would be questionable, but the longer the wait before it gets cleaned, the less likely it will survive.

Powered up and exposed to water and soot, it's likely now defunct and not worth trying to fix, unless its some rare, highly valuable vintage piece.
Thank you !
Well, today is day 5 after that inferno without the opportunity to go into the flat long enough to take the units out :((

Can i quote your comment for my insurance op ?

Thx in advance
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkor View Post
Thank you !
Well, today is day 5 after that inferno without the opportunity to go into the flat long enough to take the units out :((

Can i quote your comment for my insurance op ?

Thx in advance
You may. Hope it all goes well for you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Is your flat rented for personal or business purposes on paper?

I’m no lawyer or anything but if you rented that place as a home of sorts I wouldn’t mention you were running a business there to the insurance company. All that gear would be my “personal” collection of very rare and vintage audio equipment for personal use.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Our studio survived the Woolsey Fire in Malibu last year, despite every house in a 100m radius burning to the ground (including the house 20 yards from the studio). We didn't take any chances, and removed every single piece of gear and had it inspected and cleaned.

The gear will work fine when you power it up, but the soot is apparently quite corrosive and will do damage over time. Additionally, if it's in gear that gets hot (tube gear, converters etc) it poses a fire risk.

The gear we didn't send off included an 88-key MIDI controller, a monitor screen and the Mac Pro (it's on its last legs anyway and will be upgraded it soon, we needed to use it more than we needed it cleaned). So far everything has been ok, no clue how they will fare down the line though.

Beware to get rid of the smell we had to sand and re-finish the floors, repaint the walls, industrial clean the room. Before that I would get nauseous just standing in the room for more than 20 minutes.

Sorry this has happened to you, it's an absolute nightmare. Reminds me I need to upgrade the insurance on all the gear I personally own in my apartment!

I would get a quote from a tech (ours quoted roughly an hour per piece, more for the console) and present it to your insurance company. There are companies that specialize in this for general appliances, but for high-end gear I'd get an audio tech to take care of things if possible.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephew312 View Post
Is your flat rented for personal or business purposes on paper?

I’m no lawyer or anything but if you rented that place as a home of sorts I wouldn’t mention you were running a business there to the insurance company. All that gear would be my “personal” collection of very rare and vintage audio equipment for personal use.
Its my flat, not rented.
Its my hobby room.
Im well aware that a business dedicated room/flat needs a different kind of insurance
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuyLance View Post
Our studio survived the Woolsey Fire in Malibu last year, despite every house in a 100m radius burning to the ground (including the house 20 yards from the studio). We didn't take any chances, and removed every single piece of gear and had it inspected and cleaned.

The gear will work fine when you power it up, but the soot is apparently quite corrosive and will do damage over time. Additionally, if it's in gear that gets hot (tube gear, converters etc) it poses a fire risk.

The gear we didn't send off included an 88-key MIDI controller, a monitor screen and the Mac Pro (it's on its last legs anyway and will be upgraded it soon, we needed to use it more than we needed it cleaned). So far everything has been ok, no clue how they will fare down the line though.

Beware to get rid of the smell we had to sand and re-finish the floors, repaint the walls, industrial clean the room. Before that I would get nauseous just standing in the room for more than 20 minutes.

Sorry this has happened to you, it's an absolute nightmare. Reminds me I need to upgrade the insurance on all the gear I personally own in my apartment!

I would get a quote from a tech (ours quoted roughly an hour per piece, more for the console) and present it to your insurance company. There are companies that specialize in this for general appliances, but for high-end gear I'd get an audio tech to take care of things if possible.
The company involved in restoring/ securing the building are professionals using some special drying facilities to get rid of moisture inside electronic devices, but the soot is a different story it seems
thats why i thought about sending units to manufactorers for cleaning , servicing...this is cheaper than buying new ones (i have some kind of budget for the whole flat)
i mean we all know its not just about powering up and working, its about working good ,spec wise for a longer time thats a thing some (insurances) may not be aware of
Thanks for your words
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkor View Post
The company involved in restoring/ securing the building are professionals using some special drying facilities to get rid of moisture inside electronic devices, but the soot is a different story it seems
thats why i thought about sending units to manufactorers for cleaning , servicing...this is cheaper than buying new ones (i have some kind of budget for the whole flat)
i mean we all know its not just about powering up and working, its about working good ,spec wise for a longer time thats a thing some (insurances) may not be aware of
Thanks for your words
Thats what I mean - we had a company that does the dry ice thing come out and say they'll do it, but they have no idea what a tube mic pre is or how to treat a microphone etc. High end pro audio is a lot more delicate than a Samsung widescreen TV. Just be sure the company has experience with pro audio gear and you'll hopefully be ok.

Sending to manufacturers is a great idea. We have pieces from probably 30-50 different manufacturers (not including mics) so we just sent it to our regular tech to take care of.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Last update on this subject:

Last friday we had the chance to enter the building for 2 hours; well, 2 weeks after the fire
Big suprise: nearly all is destroyed except the computers and the built like a tank argiriardis amp ..
only good thing: its a write-off for my insurance and ill build up a setup with new stuff and with the expirience i made with my old devices.
Wont buy a lot of it again

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search