The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Flight with Wurlitzer/Rhodes stage pianos
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear

Flight with Wurlitzer/Rhodes stage pianos

Hi
someone did it or know how ppl carry them on aircrafts?
The aviation law is that each luggage have to wight MAX 32 kilos. The Wurlitzer for example wight around 28 kilos (without legs and pedal)
the lightest flight case that I found ( and that was mutch the size of the piano) was 11 kilos and together around 39 kilos.

The airline not really ok with that wight

Wish for a good advice

Thanks in advance
G
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Although it initially arrived by FedEx, I am very shy about handing my GC82S over to a shipping company [e.g. FedEx, UPS, etc.]. And I dislike the cost of buying an extra seat to bring it along on trips - funds that may be better spent elsewhere. But no way do I ever let it go to checked baggage. I would go back to FedEx or another shipper before taking that path.

For short trips perhaps consider just purchasing something [less irreplaceable] for temp use the other side. . .or renting. Is that not an option? Or is this a special, one way, or longer trip?

In the United States, I suspect most airlines would just say no to the Wurlitzer for carry on. Delta is [I think] representative of a fairly accommodating airline; but I suspect the profile of the instrument would hurt you more than weight. See: Special Items.

Perhaps you can provide more detail about your circumstance to get input from others on this forum.

Toots Thielemans never had to deal with issues like this!

Travel safe,

Ray H.
Old 13th May 2019
You don't.
You put it on your rider and have the event provider source it from a backline provider. Same story as with drum kits, bass amps, etc etc.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Rental or rider...

Or Korg SV1!
Old 14th May 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you all, it was helpful and funny
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Rental or rider...

Or Korg SV1!
Or Nord through some nice pedals and amp. Leave the real things at home!
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Or Nord through some nice pedals and amp. Leave the real things at home!
Honestly? Even Korg or nord route? Still I’d have the thing hired in/backline and bring your favorite pedals...
Old 16th May 2019
Even Stevie Wonder uses a Motief rather than a real Rhodes on stage. He has about 40 Rhodes pianos so that's not the issue.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search