The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADAM Audio S3V...how low Hz realistically can they go?
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Addict

ADAM Audio S3V...how low Hz realistically can they go?

I saw the specs sheet and they claim 32Hz to 50KHz.

But seeing the actual response graph posted it appears they start to roll off at ~40Hz.

These are 9" woofers and bigger than my own sub. I have an ADAM Sub8 that goes to 28Hz, not sure what level the 28Hz is at. I also have a set of Artists that I bought 12 years ago (these are the aluminium ones, very nice lookers!).

I'm not sure why a speaker of such stature would roll off at ~40Hz. I would presume they'd go down a bit further into the nether regions.

They do go down to 32Hz as per the specs. Is it possible to get the 32Hz at the same level as the rest of the frequency by perhaps using a special EQ to bring the rest down (shelf EQ with a steep slope).

These look like the ideal monitor for a medium room size. I am sure they are great for doing ambient music on.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

I have a pair of S3X-V's along with a Sub12 in a good purpose-built room. The S3's sound great on their own but if you like your subs loud & proud then the Sub12 packs a great punch. Don't know the numbers and don't really care - it measures out great on the REW

Herwig
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Just compared frequency response for the S3V and the Focal SM9. Apparenly the roll off on the SM9 is deeper than on the S3V.

Apparently the SM9 is supposed to be able to render 30Hz at -3dB but from reading the frequency response graphs it's evident that it doesn't really do that. It rolls off at 40Hz, like the S3V, but the roll off is more pronounced than the S3V, unless those FR graphs are misleading, SM9 does 30Hz at around -16dB. The S3V is down about 13dB at the same frequency.

Whether this is the room that is causing these measurements or not, perhaps it is.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It often is.

And also how you position your monitors and other stuff in the room.

I just upgraded my 32" (lcd) monitor to 55" and placed it back between the speakers, effectively loosing 2nd speakers (S3A) I had between my main speakers (Geithain RL901. RL901s have 18" drivers and go veeeery low.
Now I didn't really want to loose S3As because they make me mix in a certain way which is complementary to geithains. So where to put S3As? Ok let's try to place them on top of the big ones. Looks cool. I have to stand up to hear them properly, but that's fine for secondary pair I guess.
But it's a no-go because just by placing adams on top of geithains makes all the sub at my sweetspot to disappear. Like WTF? So I may have to sell s3as and get some small ones that won't mess with my mains.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search