The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Quietest preamp, interface and mic combination that there exists?
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebellum View Post
How so ? How does a smaller passive diaphragm produce more self noise ?

Could you explain this please ?
The sensitivity of the diaphragm is related to its area -- the larger the area, the more energy is transferred to it by any given sound, and the larger the signal that is generated. So assuming the same noise floor, an LDC will have a better signal-to-noise ratio than an SDC.

(You could think of it as being analogous to the aperture in a camera. The smaller the aperture, the faster the film needs to be and the more grainy / noisy the resulting photo for a given subject.)

Conversely, smaller diaphragms can capture higher frequencies and have more uniform off-axis response, which is why measurement mics often use miniature diaphragms where noise is not an issue.
Old 24th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode View Post
and WHY does it matter to you at low gain settings ?
When a mic preamp is maxed out the noise is dominated by the front end transistor pair. At lower gains the noise is dominated by the opamp residual noise. That tends to be more static and can degrade the S/N ratio at lower gains.

Use opamps below 1 nv/hz/sq and their self noise tends to reside where the front end transistor noise sits. Usually it's around 5 times higher than the transistor pair.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode View Post
and WHY does it matter to you at low gain settings ?
Jim explained it best.

The point I was making is that most preamp
manufacturers pick and report only a single noise
level. Are they picking the best or the worst or
an average to report? If you’re picking the quietest preamp this is important to know.
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Hm.. on top of all this tipps - buy izotope rx
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Jim explained it best.

The point I was making is that most preamp
manufacturers pick and report only a single noise
level. Are they picking the best or the worst or
an average to report? If you’re picking the quietest preamp this is important to know.
The noise level is not 100% linear, The noise of any mic pre will be min at min gain (Gee no kidding Mike) but the EIN is best at max gain and worst at min gain...I have yet to see a pre that was not..
But since the noise DOES go down at min gain, thats the main thing..In real world use I doubt anyone would ever notice this..
Old 25th May 2019
A noise vs frequency plot will show the spectral harmonics of the noise. You will find high frequency hiss, midrange grunge and low frequency power supply harmonics (unless done very well). Sometimes that noise is as much as the hiss or even more.
Old 12th June 2019
Here for the gear

I don't know what the quietest mic/pre/converter combination would be, but the setup I've got for stereo recording of acoustic guitar is plenty quiet (especially considering the environment I record in).

Though quiet, the primary reason I've selected this gear is for 'realism':
Pair of Gefell M296S omni mics, into a Gordon Model 5 preamp, into a Mytek Stereo192 ADC.

Last edited by Chuck_S; 14th June 2019 at 02:15 PM..
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru
I have a broken EV mic that is very quiet. Can't hear it at all.....
Old 15th June 2019
If its's just about noise, you have to go for a LDC (tlm 103 has just about 7dB self noise) and a clean hq amplifier like a Millennia HV3.
But it depends what you want to record. If you want a directional mic that works on larger distances, I would recommend a sdc (like the Schoeps CMC6 with an MK4 capsule (I don't know any sdc with less self noise...), because of it's very low off axis coloration (which is far more annoying then minimal noise...)
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby06 View Post
(like the Schoeps CMC6 with an MK4 capsule (I don't know any sdc with less self noise...),
Sennheiser MKH 40 is lower (as is the MKH 8040). But the MKH 40 is noticeably less noisy when side by side. (8040 by specs but not as noticeable in real life)
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I have a broken EV mic that is very quiet. Can't hear it at all.....
I'm betting that sucker must be insanely quiet after adding either an expander or gate to the chain.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search