The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Close Range High End Monitors
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Addict

Close Range High End Monitors

Greetings!

I'm looking to get new monitors for my home studio. I mostly write electronic music (so bass is very important) and some orchestral/music for picture. I'm quite diverse in the range of sounds that I use but I like having a mix that has lots of space and details. I rarely record at the home studio, and if I do it's either guitars or some basic vocals (speech).

I'm in need to a new pair of monitors, but the main issue is that my room is quite small and/or I sit fairly close to the monitors, approximately 1 to max 1.2 meters (3 to 4 feet) away from them, I know it isn't ideal but that's what I got.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Amphion One15 or One18 (which might be a bit to big?) I've also heard great things about the Focal Twin 6b (which also might be too big). My questions is, what are the most recommended monitors for my situation?

Amphion's are really being praised all over the place, but before committing to them I want to get some other recommendations. Thanks!
Old 10th May 2019
Deleted e999d8e
Yours isn't a unique problem. Start looking through archived threads.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Head

Consider the JBL 7 series

You should really consider the JBL708p or the 705p monitors. A dream to mix on and the low end response is so rich. Even the 5" has incredible low end and clarity. Better than anything I've heard in the price range. They'll run you about the same as the amphion. I think its 2K for a pair of the 5" and 4K for a pair of the 8"

B

www.goldenbearrecords.co
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
You should really consider the JBL708p or the 705p monitors. A dream to mix on and the low end response is so rich. Even the 5" has incredible low end and clarity. Better than anything I've heard in the price range. They'll run you about the same as the amphion. I think its 2K for a pair of the 5" and 4K for a pair of the 8"

B

www.goldenbearrecords.co
Thanks, I'll try to check those out. Although I'm hesitant about the JBL quality compared to other brands such as Amphion and the rest...
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrolic View Post
[. . .mostly write electronic music (so bass is very important) and some orchestral/music for picture. I'm quite diverse in the range of sounds that I use but I like having a mix that has lots of space and details.

[. . .] the main issue is that my room is quite small and/or I sit fairly close to the monitors, approximately 1 to max 1.2 meters (3 to 4 feet) away from them, I know it isn't ideal but that's what I got.

[. . .] My questions is, what are the most recommended monitors for my situation?
In the end [with apologies] my answer is going to be 'I don't know'. . .even if you answer my questions below. And, I assume you are looking through the archives and elsewhere for similar discussions.

Can you provide more detail [e.g., project/client profiles, etc.]? What will you need these speakers to accomplish, specifically? How do you think they will help you achieve your goals, exactly?

From the brands mentioned, I assume this is a longterm investment. Any chance you will leverage them in other locations within the next few years as well?

One of the issues I have with near-field monitors [i.e., all I've heard, regardless of price point], is that I too quickly get tired of listening to them. . .that might just be me.

I also find that my ears and/or brains think they need horns [regardless of location]. . .likely a sign of some deep character flaw.

If the Amphions excite you, I wouldn't want to discourage that in any way. Nice gear!

Hoping you find your answers,

Ray H.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Many German electronic producers use Eve monitors this days. I would consider 2x Eve SC207 + 1xEve TS108(sub) if I were you. Small, detailed, accurate, fun, solid 3D image, sub goes down to about 35Hz, only for a total of about 1500euro (in Europe).
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Head

This isn't their standard brand. The 7 series is their professional line and is often compared to Barefoot, ATC and other high end brands in the same price range.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try to check those out. Although I'm hesitant about the JBL quality compared to other brands such as Amphion and the rest...
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear
Genelec 8330 with 7350 sub.glm will help your room.
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Greetings!

I'm looking to get new monitors for my home studio. I mostly write electronic music (so bass is very important) and some orchestral/music for picture. I'm quite diverse in the range of sounds that I use but I like having a mix that has lots of space and details. I rarely record at the home studio, and if I do it's either guitars or some basic vocals (speech).

I'm in need to a new pair of monitors, but the main issue is that my room is quite small and/or I sit fairly close to the monitors, approximately 1 to max 1.2 meters (3 to 4 feet) away from them, I know it isn't ideal but that's what I got.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Amphion One15 or One18 (which might be a bit to big?) I've also heard great things about the Focal Twin 6b (which also might be too big). My questions is, what are the most recommended monitors for my situation?

Amphion's are really being praised all over the place, but before committing to them I want to get some other recommendations. Thanks!
Geithain RL906
I find myself doing mixing that translate very good with using these. Used a various number of near field monitors. Like these the best.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
In the end [with apologies] my answer is going to be 'I don't know'. . .even if you answer my questions below. And, I assume you are looking through the archives and elsewhere for similar discussions.

Can you provide more detail [e.g., project/client profiles, etc.]? What will you need these speakers to accomplish, specifically? How do you think they will help you achieve your goals, exactly?

From the brands mentioned, I assume this is a longterm investment. Any chance you will leverage them in other locations within the next few years as well?

One of the issues I have with near-field monitors [i.e., all I've heard, regardless of price point], is that I too quickly get tired of listening to them. . .that might just be me.

I also find that my ears and/or brains think they need horns [regardless of location]. . .likely a sign of some deep character flaw.

If the Amphions excite you, I wouldn't want to discourage that in any way. Nice gear!

Hoping you find your answers,

Ray H.

Definitely a long term investment, I want something that will last quite some time.
In regards to using them in a different place - might be, the room might get bigger but never smaller. I might be in a situation that I sit about 2 meters away from the monitors (6.5 feet) - not sure whether it is still consider close range.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Definitely a long term investment, I want something that will last quite some time. [. . .].
Back to your original question. . .
  • What are the most recommended monitors for my situation?

Amphion does seem to have some traction in the GS Gear Database. Go to the link and type 'Amphion' in the search box. It doesn't seem they are near the most recommended though.

That portion of GS's website could certainly do with a bit of UX redesign attention. It is a bit clunky and doesn't seem to support a simple sortable/filterable [e.g., Excel style] table view.

Still, if you haven't already, you might try scrolling through or searching there for the 'usual suspects' to get a notion of how they fare recommendation-wise.

Like GoldenBear, I would personally lean toward the JBL 708P if looking for something 'small'.

But, admittedly, I'm much more comfortable with medium/large space monitors. . .and will doubtless wind up with the M2 if Crown can ever find a way to deliver support for Dante input with their i-Tech amps. This is way over-kill for your room. . .and definitely not that much recommended in these forums.

Outside of this forum, people have recommended ATC to me likely more than anything else over the past couple years [if that is of any use]. . .definitely nice gear, but my ears keep insisting that I need horns.

Hopefully you will get additional enthusiastic suggestions here as well.

Best,

Ray H.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Since you brought up Amphions, I would suggest you check into their diminutive One12s, which share their bigger siblings’ voicing, but take up a lot less space and don’t need anywhere near as much throw for their different drivers’ sound to coalesce. Or course, they don’t have a lot of low end, so...

I’d suggest that you then add in their new FlexBase to handle the low end duties. I just wrote a review of the FlexBase for TapeOp (it hasn’t come out yet), and one of the configurations I tried was exactly this—and it was amazing! It was kind of like wearing great headphones except out loud. They were about 2’ from my ears, and I could run them pretty quietly but still have a great frequency range. The Flex was behind my computer monitor, which is a fine place for it given that bass is pretty location neutral.

There is unfortunately a crazy financial consideration of this: the FlexBase costs 1.7 times as much as the One12s and their amps.

But, I actually think it’s a killer set up for your specific space constraints.

Last edited by Lars Fox; 19th May 2019 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Syntax
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Audition Barefoot Footprints if you can. Excellent for electronic music (and everything else). Deep bass, great clarity. They work great in a small room.
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka View Post
Audition Barefoot Footprints if you can. Excellent for electronic music (and everything else). Deep bass, great clarity. They work great in a small room.
Interesting, I always thought that Barefoot are out of my league (price wise) but it seems that these are less than 4k for a pair. Are they quality?
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting, I always thought that Barefoot are out of my league (price wise) but it seems that these are less than 4k for a pair. Are they quality?
Yes they are quality speakers. I've had zero issues with mine and have been using them for almost a year. A joy to mix on and they translate well.

I paid a little over $4K (including tax) here in California.
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear
The Eve Audio range looks excellent.
Old 26th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka View Post
Yes they are quality speakers. I've had zero issues with mine and have been using them for almost a year. A joy to mix on and they translate well.

I paid a little over $4K (including tax) here in California.
Thanks, going to listen to them next week!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search