The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C800g vs Telefunken 251
Old 10th May 2019
Here for the gear

Sony C800g vs Telefunken 251

Sony C800g -Frequency Range: 20 Hz - 18 kHz
Telefunken M251- Frequency Range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
What do you think? Many people say this are the two best vocal microphones in the world, personally I think the Sony C800g sounds more modern, but the Telefunken M251 has more easy leasing sound and tops the Sony C800g in high frequency easiness for leistering which is something that you can try to recover as a signal lost in the Sony C800g using above 18kHz processing to make a natural flat frequency line, the Sony C800g losses signal above 18kHz because of the tube physics signal flow which actually gives that special sustained consistent sound people love to love in the Sony C800g and it is more difficult to make a displeasing sounding mistake recording with Sony C800g, the Telefunken M251 is unmatched in natural sounding high-end frequencies that people associate with expensive sound which the Sony C800g has in abundance as quality of sound above the Telefunken M251 - If there was a accurate frequency response image of the sound compared on a same rms level the Sony C800 is richer in sound and the quality is amazing, the Telefunken 251 has more natural sounding qualities, the Telefunken is more fluent in sound.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

both great mics.
what's the question/topic here?
(your post is kind of hard to read... like one very looong sentence).
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah...but which one looks like a gun ?

No relation to OP...btw
Old 10th May 2019
The quoted frequency response you mention doesn't tell you anything about the sound differences between the mics. Forget about that. I have little cheap $10 condenser mic with a mini phone jack that supposedly goes from 20 to 20kHz. So what? Sounds like crap in front of a vocalist. Audition both and use your ears without thinking about the specs.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Almost small LDCs begin to shelf off around 12hHz. That’s not where the interesting or musical part of the voice is anyway. C800G always sound a little boring to me. They lack the color that excites my ears.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Agreed. The C800G came to prominence during the Whitney Houston/Mariah/Celine era and became synonymous with a high-quality result from marvelous singers like these (even though a large number of their vocals were done on other mics). It’s a very nice, quiet and, above all, consistent microphone. (That’s why the cooler is there - to ensure that the tube will be at a consistent temperature and also not raise the internal temperature of the mic.) A 251 is, I think, a more unique sound. While a C800G on a great source will be wonderful, a 251 on the right source has, in my crappy little opinion, a greater chance of raising the goosebumps on your arm.

As always, YMMV.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRYHARRIS View Post
Sony C800g -Frequency Range: 20 Hz - 18 kHz
Telefunken M251- Frequency Range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
What do you think? Many people say this are the two best vocal microphones in the world, personally I think the Sony C800g sounds more modern, but the Telefunken M251 has more easy leasing sound and tops the Sony C800g in high frequency easiness for leistering which is something that you can try to recover as a signal lost in the Sony C800g using above 18kHz processing to make a natural flat frequency line, the Sony C800g losses signal above 18kHz because of the tube physics signal flow which actually gives that special sustained consistent sound people love to love in the Sony C800g and it is more difficult to make a displeasing sounding mistake recording with Sony C800g, the Telefunken M251 is unmatched in natural sounding high-end frequencies that people associate with expensive sound which the Sony C800g has in abundance as quality of sound above the Telefunken M251 - If there was a accurate frequency response image of the sound compared on a same rms level the Sony C800 is richer in sound and the quality is amazing, the Telefunken 251 has more natural sounding qualities, the Telefunken is more fluent in sound.
Wow! What do YOUR EARS say? I'm not sure what you're asking (or stating?) but there's too many numbers in your paragraph.
Are you comparing the Sony (I think one of the best ever made & still competes with anything) to an Ela-M 251 (AKG) original or a new TeleFunk clone?
18K & 20K mean nothing & doesn't reflect at all on what highs you hear from which mic &/or how you hear these highs.
These are 2 different mics & one has to hear them musically to judge what one wants.
Old 11th May 2019
I prefer the Chandler REDD to both. Plus the Bock 251 is a sweeter sound than the new Telefunken. The Sony is great for rap and pop and has a nice huskiness, it's a classic too. I don't care about frequencies when it comes to raw emotion.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

My comments about the 251 are based on a well-maintained vintage mic, not the pale modern “Telefunken” version, just in case there was any confusion.
And I certainly agree that David’s mic is infinitely preferable to the “Telefunken”.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I'm one of the rare few who's never used a real 251, but I sure LOVE the Bock 251 on anything we cut with it! It's by far my favorite mic.

OTOH the C800G is nice, maybe just a little too nice to have anything exciting to add. I do notice within my studio that the C800G has a brand appeal to the "must have BLING BLING" crowd.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Maniac
My to-purchase-soon list used to include a pair of the Sony C-800G mics, but these have de-prioritized over the past several months with a preference for a Telefunken ELA M 251E stereo set [yea, the new ones that don't get as much respect, relatively speaking]. . .likely later this year.

At this level, there is some intangible quality. . .some totally irrational instinct lurking deep in the crevices of the primitive mind. . .that pushes one way or the other. And [while not ignored] the specs aren't having much impact on the decision for me.

It is more the notion that I will write, improvise and perform better using the 251s. . .less so that I think the mics - of themselves alone - will perform [or even sound] better. I like and admire the Sonys very much. But, there is something at an animal [perhaps, Neanderthal] level that has overtaken reason.

The most useful differences [for me] are in the artistic impulses they inspire. . .

Best,

Ray H.
Old 11th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
It is more the notion that I will write, improvise and perform better using the 251s
Probably not!
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Probably not!
Hi henge -

Thanks for the thought. . .but. . .In my case, almost certainly so.

There is much I don't know much about; but I've lived with myself over 60 years - maybe trust me on this one.

Best wishes,

Ray H.

P.S. I took your comment as a lighthearted tease.
Old 11th May 2019
Quote:
Hi henge -

Thanks for the thought. . .but. . .In my case, almost certainly so.

There is much I don't know much about; but I've lived with myself over 60 years - maybe trust me on this one.

Best wishes,

Ray H.

P.S. I took your comment as a lighthearted tease.
Totally lighthearted! lol
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Ray, I’d suggest a comparison between the Bock and “Telefunken” versions before you purchase. There is a difference. Only your personal preference can determine which is right for you, but I would suggest a long, critical listen before putting your money down.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
[. . .] between the Bock and “Telefunken” [. . .] I would suggest a long, critical listen before putting your money down.
I definitely will.

I'm getting from these forums that a lot of engineers/musicians like the Bock better - some far better! A pair of Bocks couldn't possibly make anyone sad.

I came so very close to pulling the trigger on a pair of the Sony C-800G's before the end of last year. In hindsight, I'm glad to have put those funds into other assets - though I still love the Sonys. . .and high-end Sony brand devices, generally.

Bock/Telefunken emotionally feels more like the right path for me. It is more like being in love - more passionate. Clearly we are in a land beyond specs.

In the end I expect the decision will be driven by almost superstitious instincts in what is most likely to impact creation level events - not by which mic is technically superior. . .

. . .well, that and cash flow.

Very kind of you to inject the advice [for both the OP and me]. Thanks much!

Best,

Ray H.
Old 12th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
The most useful differences [for me] are in the artistic impulses they inspire. . .

Best,

Ray H.
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head Ray!!! Enjoy your 251's!
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

For those of us in the cheap seats (and not so cheap), the Advanced Audio Microphones version of the Sony, is getting an excellent end-user rep.

A bit more money than AA, but I was very impressed with the T-Funk T51, where their goal was to make it sound like a 251/C12 hybrid.
Chris
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
Almost small LDCs begin to shelf off around 12hHz. That’s not where the interesting or musical part of the voice is anyway. C800G always sound a little boring to me. They lack the color that excites my ears.
So JJ...

If you don't mind, what are (usually) your favorite vocal microphones then?

Thanks, Chris
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
So JJ...

If you don't mind, what are (usually) your favorite vocal microphones then?

Thanks, Chris
Usual suspects for me are 251, M49 and U47. Every once in a while it's my M367, but the other 3 usually win out.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks JJ.

My limited understanding, is that the 251 is particularly adept, at cutting through denser mixes...
Chris
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

I have a C800G and a Soundelux 251 (same as Bock 251 before he changed his company's name). They are both amazing. The Sony is a bit poppier and has a really amazing signature when you mix (which affects your mix in a very good way, if you base your mix around a vocal performance).
The 251 works great on Rock and Indie and screamers as well as everything else in general.
Both complete eachother.
If I had to choose one, I would probably go with the 251 as it feels a bit more all round but when the C800G shines, it leaves the 251 far behind, it is definitely a luxury microphone that delivers beyond expectations with the right vocalists.
(I prefer the Bock/Soundelux to the TELE 251 as the latter can be too bright and I had a few bad recordings with them)
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I have different experiences with Soundelux251 (Bock) and Tele251. The Tele sounds pristine, every detail and frequency part is something I´m always totally blown away with, its that good. the soundelux to me sounded just cheaper, too much high end sizzle and somehow processed, whereas the tele sounds very natural.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Thanks JJ.

My limited understanding, is that the 251 is particularly adept, at cutting through denser mixes...
Chris
It totally depends on the voice and the music. Sometimes, the midrange robustness of a 47 helps that cut through, where a 251 would sound thin in comparison. Think of the 251 as a '50s Tele and the 47 as a late '50s Les Paul. At least that's how I think of it. 251 is more shimmery, and 47 has more girth.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

That’s a nice analogy, JJ.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Nut

I think an important detail is the 251 is an excellent mic on about a dozen different sources. First choice for violin / fiddle, orchestral overheads, great results with AGtr, drum room / OH, hat, piano, mandolin....... it will get lots of use once it's in your mic locker. In my experience, the 251 is the better vocal mic 90% of the time. But when the Sony fits, it is a thing of beauty (try Alison Krauss' early 2000's records as a ref). For me the Sony was never a first call mic for anything else though.

Last edited by jeffsochor; 20th May 2019 at 03:02 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks JJ. Makes sense. Chris
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Just felt like listening to the 251 again [and you can download the multitrack audio files].

Besides, I've been working since 2:30AM this morning. . .and it's time for a break!

Love that mic,

Ray H.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Love that mic,

Ray H.
No Kidding!!! Couldn't think of a more perfect mic for that song. Wonderful!!
Old 20th May 2019
I have a c800g and tried my friend's new telefunken 251, the 251 is more rounded, more balanced, easier to sing to, better overall. If I had a choice I'd have a 251. I'm planning on getting either that or Chandler redd but I've never tried it in person yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search