The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
best ad converter in a single or 2 channel format?
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

usb output or spdif-aes/ebu?
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

A lot of votes for the Dangerous AD+.
Is it on the transparent side or does it have a distinct sound in the same way Burl has its own distinct sound?

Last edited by Gringo Starr; 11th June 2019 at 07:21 PM..
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Head

AD+ or Cranesong.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
A lot of votes for the Dangerous AD+.
Is it on the transparent side or does it have a distinct sound in the same way Burl has its own distinct sound?
To me it’s very true when fed conservative levels. But it can take a beating and still capture cleanly. If you want some color, push the xformer and emphasis button. I never use it. But it’s there if needed.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Nut
Dont forget about the BLA White Sparrow.. The sparrows can be found used for good deals these days.

I have compared the Sparrow to the RME ADI-2 Pro AD and far prefer the sparrow (I can not distinguish it from the source)
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Head
My need was for clean; the Mytek Stereo192 ADC is doing a fine job.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
I would say Qes Pad 2 converter. But I have not idea what they are doing. Since sadly Val who made the converters passed.
Anyone here know anything about QES since Val's passing? The website is down and there is no way to reach them.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

FYI: I am selling my Acousence arfi-adc2 demo unit with PSU. I am an official distributor for Acousence.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
FYI: I am selling my Acousence arfi-adc2 demo unit with PSU. I am an official distributor for Acousence.
What did you replace it with?
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Head
+1 for Rosetta
+1 for AD16X (although it's 16-ch AD)
+1 for RME ADI-pro FS
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted e09cd8e
Dangerous AD+, Prism, and the JCF Latte are all sicko.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Back in 2005, an audiophile friend let me listen to the UAD 2192 and I was so surprised at how good it was compared to the state-of-art esoteric DAC/ADC he stuff he had. He was like a dealer so he was constantly changing out pieces. For the money, the 2192 was a good deal and I’m impressed that some here still refer to it. That says something.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neve1064 View Post
Back in 2005, an audiophile friend let me listen to the UAD 2192 and I was so surprised at how good it was compared to the state-of-art esoteric DAC/ADC he stuff he had. He was like a dealer so he was constantly changing out pieces. For the money, the 2192 was a good deal and I’m impressed that some here still refer to it. That says something.
UA 2192 designer is now at Burl
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
What did you replace it with?
I am replacing it with the current Acousence arfi-adc2pro, the 19" version of the same unit. It's still the best converter I know.

EDIT: And yes, I have compared it with the UA2192 and the Burl, among others.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you want musical then it has to be Dave Hill's Crane Song HEDD.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Regarding converters, there are transparent and non-transparent converters.

For transparent converters, the definitive measurements and best to worst converters are listed top to bottom with measurements:

Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
Regarding converters, there are transparent and non-transparent converters.

For transparent converters, the definitive measurements and best to worst converters are listed top to bottom with measurements:

Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker
Only if your sole measure for transparency is phase response.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
I am replacing it with the current Acousence arfi-adc2pro, the 19" version of the same unit. It's still the best converter I know.

EDIT: And yes, I have compared it with the UA2192 and the Burl, among others.
Which AD chip does the Acousense converter use?
Old 4 weeks ago
I would like to bringe the RME up again. As I mentioned before we have several Prism converters and and RME M32 ad Pro. We also tested several high end multi channel converters... Anyways: on christmas I got myself a RME ADI 2 -DAC (version 2). I'm really pleased how good it sounds. Especially on headphones (Sennheiser HD 800 and Beyerdynamic T1) you can hear how tight and precise it is in the bass; mids are very detailed and it sounds very open. I would say even more than the Prisms.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

And your suggested measure of converter transparency is?

If you have something beyond the tremendous effort and methodology of that thread, please share with GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
Only if your sole measure for transparency is phase response.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby06 View Post
I would like to bringe the RME up again. As I mentioned before we have several Prism converters and and RME M32 ad Pro. We also tested several high end multi channel converters... Anyways: on christmas I got myself a RME ADI 2 -DAC (version 2). I'm really pleased how good it sounds. Especially on headphones (Sennheiser HD 800 and Beyerdynamic T1) you can hear how tight and precise it is in the bass; mids are very detailed and it sounds very open. I would say even more than the Prisms.
The headphone amps of the RME ADI-2 Pros are really excellent. Almost brutally detailled. I listen through Beyerdynamic DT 1990s. That's something. Especially when you consider that this combo with the DAC is costing merely 1500€...

I bought a Lyra 1 off ebay two days ago for a very good price - good price as long as it's going to work when it gets here.
Got it because I wanted a second set of ADDA for an analog chain.
But I will certainly try it in the RMEs place I use for VO.
The consensus seems to be that this line of Prism converters is on the euphonic side of clean. So I am looking forward to compare and maybe mix and match between the two.

Last edited by VOMike; 3 weeks ago at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
And your suggested measure of converter transparency is?

If you have something beyond the tremendous effort and methodology of that thread, please share with GS.
There's a whole list of different measurements, some correlate more with what is important for human hearing (psychoacoustics) than others.

The test in that thread favours converters that exhibit linear phase and frequency response above everything else. But this performance may be a tradeoff. The converter may achieve this response by using a less effective lowpass filter than would be necessary to remove all aliasing.

Now the test file is a recording with fairly little signal at the top end of the spectrum, so aliasing caused by the ineffectiveness of that filter may not be relevant at the levels the test concerns itself with (-85 db at best, which amounts to 14 bit resolution BTW). Fairly high distortion, which peaks at say -90db (instead of, say, -105 db) will also not receive much notice by the test.

It is a fine test and it is pretty usefull, but it is by no means the only test one should rely on.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fair enough, it is the best I've seen, has great participation by GS members, is kept up to date by a very conscientious thread starter and, there are a lot of converters tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
There's a whole list of different measurements, some correlate more with what is important for human hearing (psychoacoustics) than others.

The test in that thread favours converters that exhibit linear phase and frequency response above everything else. But this performance may be a tradeoff. The converter may achieve this response by using a less effective lowpass filter than would be necessary to remove all aliasing.

Now the test file is a recording with fairly little signal at the top end of the spectrum, so aliasing caused by the ineffectiveness of that filter may not be relevant at the levels the test concerns itself with (-85 db at best, which amounts to 14 bit resolution BTW). Fairly high distortion, which peaks at say -90db (instead of, say, -105 db) will also not receive much notice by the test.

It is a fine test and it is pretty usefull, but it is by no means the only test one should rely on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search