The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Super close-mic options for non musical sound?
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear

Super close-mic options for non musical sound?

Hi,

Most close mic threads on GS are music production oriented, but I am curious about very detailed mics for close mic situations in things such as field* and foley recording (* for field recording I am meaning more so any recording in a non-treated studio space, not a wind tunnel in a forest during a rain storm next to a monster truck jam with a blimp and dead cat on the mic.)

I know there is the DPA 2011 twin diaphragm capsule, which uses two cardioid capsules to use in close mic situations ... I was wanting to get a stereo pair of 4011, so having a 2011 capsule for close mic would be nice. Still, it’s mainly advertised as a stage mic for music applications. Are there any mics meant just for recording very minute, detailed sound in the field and for foley? Like, for example, a mic that could pick up very faint sounds of insects?

I know there are environmental factors that go into being able to capture this, as well, just looking for some high quality options to put in my mic closet
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear

get a mic with very low self noise and high output, get the most quiet mic pre you can find; then try keeping environmental influences out - you might need to invest in software restoration tools as well (and some efx to restore ambient sound)... - gear depends a bit/much on whether you want to capture things in stereo or surround.
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear
I would look at the following brands:
Sanken mics
Josophson (Super high quality)
Schoeps (Nice color)
Earthworks

Sanken makes awsome mic's that go way over 20K.
Some new Sony mic's go way over 20K using a second cap/crossover

Vintage mic lover on ebay typically has a sanken stereo field mic for decent cash.
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Addict

The Josephson c617set w/ Gefell mk221 Omni capsules has truly stunning detail, a very high output, and very low self-noise. However, they are omnis, so you won't be able to isolate specific sounds. A pair will capture a stereo recording better than anything I've heard. It is extremely realistic, for better or worse.

I'll also second the Schoeps recommendation if you want a great sound with more isolation - the mk41 capsule is great for that. I use that like I'd use a shotgun mic for grabbing sounds.

Another solution would be to look at ambisonics. With something like the Core Sound Octomic, an 8 channel 2nd order ambisonic mic, you'd be able to decode surround and stereo ambiences in multiple patterns in post, plus be able to use beamforming and virtual mics to create isolated "shotgun" channels. I have a Josephson c700s that I use for things like this, but it's only 1st order and horizontal surround, no height information. I haven't used the Octomic personally, and I'm sure the tone doesn't rival the c700s, but I've heard good things about it, and it's the only easily available 2nd order mic out right now. Plus it has custom calibration filters for each unique mic.
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Nut

Sennheiser mkh800 series might be worth a look.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
The Josephson c617set w/ Gefell mk221 Omni capsules has truly stunning detail, a very high output, and very low self-noise. However, they are omnis, so you won't be able to isolate specific sounds.
Don't forget that the OP wanted mics for *very* close recording.

For this, an omni would be the best as there is no proximity effect.

And - the inverse-square-law will mean that more distant sounds will be proportionally very low and the close sound will dominate.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosculpture12 View Post
Sennheiser mkh800 series might be worth a look.
The MKH 800 is a multi-pattern mic., not a series.

Do you mean the MKH 8000 series?
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Nut

Hi John, was referring to MKH-800 and MKH-800 Twin mics.
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Don't forget that the OP wanted mics for *very* close recording.

For this, an omni would be the best as there is no proximity effect.

And - the inverse-square-law will mean that more distant sounds will be proportionally very low and the close sound will dominate.
For sure, but I've found myself in situations where an omni still picks up too much sound from a distant car, plane, home ac unit, etc., and would maybe go with the Schoeps mk41 instead since it will reject those sounds better. Other times I might want to dampen a space's reverb that can be apparent even on quiet sounds. The c617set can almost be too realistic and revealing at times.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search