The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tim Campbell’s CT12
Old 23rd April 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Tim Campbell’s CT12

Hallo Everyone,
It’s Erk, nice to meet you. I’m a rock singer and vocal producer and I’m new here. Does anyone know how to reach Tim Campbell, please? Does he still produce his CT12? I’m really interested in it to upgrade my Fet Mic that mounts another type of CK12. I’ve read that the CT12 are brass made and amazingly close to the original. I’ve tried to reach Tim by email and phone but I wasn’t lucky. Can anyone help me please?
All the best
Erk
Old 23rd April 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I think you meant "email", when you wrote "mail".
You could send him a Private Message, at this website.
Chris
Old 23rd April 2019
  #3
Gear Nut
 

He seems to respond to email about once a week; maybe it's the same for phone messages. If you've sent an email to one of the addresses on his website, just give him some time to respond. (If I'm remembering correctly, his "email day" is usually Sunday.)
Old 23rd April 2019
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Hi Chris, thanx for your reply. Yes I meant email sorry. I’ll follow your advice hoping to be lucky
All the best
E.
Old 23rd April 2019
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirker View Post
He seems to respond to email about once a week; maybe it's the same for phone messages. If you've sent an email to one of the addresses on his website, just give him some time to respond. (If I'm remembering correctly, his "email day" is usually Sunday.)
Hi thanx a lot! I wrote him on Friday and Sunday is past now )) I’ll be waiting!
Have you tried his CT12?
Old 23rd April 2019
  #6
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erksinger View Post
Hi thanx a lot! I wrote him on Friday and Sunday is past now )) I’ll be waiting!
Have you tried his CT12?
I have a CT12 waiting to be put in a mic made with a C12 copy circuit with all high-quality parts, including Jensen transformer and NOS specially tested tube. But I haven't installed it yet. I purchased the mic used recently, and I want a tech to give it a full going-over, including the power supply, and I'll have the capsule installed at the same time.

So I do have a CT12, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 23rd April 2019
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

It’s been quite some time since I’ve ordered from Tim, but yes, he’s quite busy and I remember it taking a week or more to get a reply sometimes. If you don’t hear anything after a week, try again; a few times.

I have 5 of his capsules (2 modded) in mics... I kinda like em.
Old 23rd April 2019
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirker View Post
I have a CT12 waiting to be put in a mic made with a C12 copy circuit with all high-quality parts, including Jensen transformer and NOS specially tested tube. But I haven't installed it yet. I purchased the mic used recently, and I want a tech to give it a full going-over, including the power supply, and I'll have the capsule installed at the same time.

So I do have a CT12, but I haven't tried it yet.
Wow it looks like a blast! I want to try the CT12 in my Multideluxe Mic made by Braingasm Lab. It’s a really cool low noise J-Fet mic with a CK12 on it. The mic has got a transformerless output so I’d love to recreate a tubeless C12 flavour with the brass CT12. I hope to get in touch with Tim.
Old 23rd April 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec_Eng View Post
It’s been quite some time since I’ve ordered from Tim, but yes, he’s quite busy and I remember it taking a week or more to get a reply sometimes. If you don’t hear anything after a week, try again; a few times.

I have 5 of his capsules (2 modded) in mics... I kinda like em.
5 CT12? Ahaha I guess you liked them. Sell me one of them please :-D Now I’m curious what about the mods? Were the CT12 a great upgrade than the normal CK12?
Old 23rd April 2019
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erksinger View Post
Wow it looks like a blast! I want to try the CT12 in my Multideluxe Mic made by Braingasm Lab. It’s a really cool low noise J-Fet mic with a CK12 on it. The mic has got a transformerless output so I’d love to recreate a tubeless C12 flavour with the brass CT12. I hope to get in touch with Tim.
The "classic" C12 circuit is generally considered to be very neutral; it's a tube & transformer circuit 'cause that's just how things were done when it was originally designed, but they're not meant to provide mojo. The sound primarily comes from the capsule. So any nice clean clear neutral mic circuit with a great CK12-style capsule should sound pretty great. I'm sure you'll be happy with your C12 once you eventually get one.
Old 24th April 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Has anyone tried a CK12 or CT12 in an AKG C28 or similar mic?
Old 24th April 2019
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erksinger View Post
5 CT12? Ahaha I guess you liked them. Sell me one of them please :-D Now I’m curious what about the mods? Were the CT12 a great upgrade than the normal CK12?
The mods were done by Allen Luke of Luke Audio, modifying the backplates to accommodate 1-micron Mylar with Platinum... Along with some mods to the C12 circuit (large-core transformer by Samar Audio instead of small-core and a 5751 instead of 6072) inspired by conversations I had with Stephen Paul prior to his passing. These were new custom mics done by Chris Prucher of Barbaric Amplification.

The big “complaint” some people say about the CT12 is the “extra proximity” and its kinda true if trying to close mic, clausingva muffled-sound. That’s why I chose to use it in a 251-type mic where there’s low-end roll-off built in the design. I also put them in a pair of Lomo 19A13 circuit mics with NOS original tubes and transformers, but I haven’t played with them enough to figure out what’s going on there. There’s no low-end what-so-ever and the top is very gritty. Don’t know if it’s cool yet. I have a feeling changing the transformers will make all the difference if they don’t end up cool as is.
Old 25th April 2019
  #13
Erksinger I have answered your initial mail to me. Perhaps your spam filter has dumped my response to your spam folder.
I am busy but I do try to respond within a few days. I'll try mailing you from my gmail account tomorrow.
Old 25th April 2019
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec_Eng View Post
The mods were done by Allen Luke of Luke Audio, modifying the backplates to accommodate 1-micron Mylar with Platinum... Along with some mods to the C12 circuit (large-core transformer by Samar Audio instead of small-core and a 5751 instead of 6072) inspired by conversations I had with Stephen Paul prior to his passing. These were new custom mics done by Chris Prucher of Barbaric Amplification.

The big “complaint” some people say about the CT12 is the “extra proximity” and its kinda true if trying to close mic, clausingva muffled-sound. That’s why I chose to use it in a 251-type mic where there’s low-end roll-off built in the design. I also put them in a pair of Lomo 19A13 circuit mics with NOS original tubes and transformers, but I haven’t played with them enough to figure out what’s going on there. There’s no low-end what-so-ever and the top is very gritty. Don’t know if it’s cool yet. I have a feeling changing the transformers will make all the difference if they don’t end up cool as is.
Rec Eng are you sure the capsules aren't collapsing in the Lomo circuit. Lomo uses extremely high polarization voltage. My capsules are only meant to handle 55-60v
Old 25th April 2019
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Tim,

Definitely good catch, but a voltage-divider was put so the capsule gets 60V. Still thinking the transformer as they’re funky old things, but I still have yet to give them much listen, like a lot of my custom mics, but that is about to change, big time! In 3-weeks, I have a lot of playing scheduled with them for a couple months!
Old 29th April 2019
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
Erksinger I have answered your initial mail to me. Perhaps your spam filter has dumped my response to your spam folder.
I am busy but I do try to respond within a few days. I'll try mailing you from my gmail account tomorrow.
Hi Tim,
Thanx a lot for your reply. I hope to talk to you soon. All the best
Enrico
Old 1st May 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 
roger's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
Rec Eng are you sure the capsules aren't collapsing in the Lomo circuit. Lomo uses extremely high polarization voltage. My capsules are only meant to handle 55-60v
Hi Tim,
Sorry to derail briefly but have you had any clients use your lovely capsules in Sony C37a builds? Any reports?
Ps thank you for amazing work! All 6 of my Tim capsules sound incredible!
Old 1st May 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 

I've only heard one and it was amazing too!
Chris
Old 2nd May 2019
  #19
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec_Eng View Post
...The big “complaint” some people say about the CT12 is the “extra proximity”... That’s why I chose to use it in a 251-type mic where there’s low-end roll-off built in the design.
What low-end roll-off? ELAMS have the same eq circuitry as the C12 and the C24 (none) and they all used the same transformer and capsule, too.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Not true... Even simply and quickly checking out recordinghacks on those two mics makes that obvious. The grill design (including the size) plays a part in the difference too, but certainly not only.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

The C12 and C24 don’t use the same transformer
Old 2nd May 2019
  #22
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
The C12 and C24 don’t use the same transformer
Since 1957 all C12 use T14/1, same trafo as in ELAM and C24.

Quote:
The grill design (including the size) plays a part in the difference too, but certainly not only.
Since when does a two-layer grill design (ELAM)) cut low end? Explain the science.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec_Eng View Post
That’s why I chose to use it in a 251-type mic where there’s low-end roll-off built in the design.
Incorrect. 251s typically have stronger low end response compared to a T14/1 equipped C12. Both the self-biasing cathode, the 1µF coupling cap's extended low octave, and the basket design likely account for this. The only time I've heard a C12 with comparable low end was when it was equipped with a Henry transformer.

Quote:
The grill design (including the size) plays a part in the difference too, but certainly not only.
Also incorrect. Not dissimilar to the acoustical effect of the U47 basket, the 251 basket enhances low end. The C12 basket tends to be more acoustically neutral. Having examined many C12s and 251s side by side, I have yet to hear a T14/1 equipped C12 that had more low end than a healthy 251, which noticeably has more low end.

Last edited by jjblair; 2nd May 2019 at 05:07 PM..
Old 2nd May 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
What low-end roll-off? ELAMS have the same eq circuitry as the C12 and the C24 (none) and they all used the same transformer and capsule, too.
Not quite. It's a straight plate loaded circuit in both mics. There really is no EQ circuitry, save for a RF filter cap on the 251. IN terms of the rest of the circuit, the ELAM and C24 both have a self-biasing cathode, but the C12 is force biased. The C12 also has a .5µF coupling cap. C24 is 1µF and the 251 is either 1µF, 1.6µF or 3.2µf, depending on tube type and era. Greater capacitance in the transformer coupling cap will have an effect on low end. Also, the C12 and C24 do not possess true cardioid, where the rear of the capsule is completely removed from the circuit. This alone has a different characteristic. The remote variable voltage circuit for the capsule makes a difference and adds a 1000pF coupling cap into the circuit that is not present on the 251. But when you add that all up, 251 should have superior low end response.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Since 1957 all C12 use T14/1, same trafo as in ELAM and C24.

I'll admit I wasn't aware the later C12s changed to T14/1s. The C28 and C24 both used the same transformer but I've so far only looked inside C12s which had the massive Hillier T14.

I stand 'sort of' corrected
Old 2nd May 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
I'll admit I wasn't aware the later C12s changed to T14/1s. The C28 and C24 both used the same transformer but I've so far only looked inside C12s which had the massive Hillier T14.

I stand 'sort of' corrected
Hiller and Henry transformer equipped C12s are very rare, which is why they command a higher price. The vast majority of C12's use a the T14/1.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #27
....just wanted to pop in really quickly and tell everyone how much I love my modded CV12 microphone w/ all new circuit and Oliver's AMI T14 transformer w/ Tim Campbells C12 capsule.....it's simply incredible.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #28
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Since when does a two-layer grill design (ELAM)) cut low end? Explain the science.
I took your post to suggest that not only the components and circuitry being the same (though the circuitry IS slightly different), but the response as well. I was simply saying the response is noticeably different and not ONLY due to head design. Honestly, the more I’m thinking about it, response differences even between the same model was probably noticeable due to the capsule tolerances.

But more to the real point, I do see a low-end response difference between:
http://recordinghacks.com/pdf/akg/C12-catalog.pdf
http://recordinghacks.com/pdf/telefu...251-Manual.pdf

On top of that, I extremely doubtful that was a fluke, but instead by design... I’m guessing due to the 250/251 specifically being designed and made to try and capture some of the 47 market that was already very popular as a vocal mic; after Neumann started doing their own distribution. Maybe?
Old 2nd May 2019
  #29
Gear Head
 

Let us not split technical hairs where there are none.
The ONLY reason the ELAM was invented was to re-capture the C12 market lost to Neumann by offering a bigger, better-looking model, with a pattern switch on the mik, and not all that cabling and patter switch box, etc.

To do that, the C12 needed a few circuit changes (valve bias was through the power supply in the C12!) and how to connect the capsule elektrically).The rest is still pure C12. Show me any proof that AKG intended low-end changes in that mic compared to the C12. It does not exist.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #30
Gear Maniac
 

You want documented proof, but I was merely speculating; and I stated as a guess.

By the way, the only reason the 250/251 was made is not as you said. From what I understand as pretty common knowledge, is Neumann took over their own distribution from Telefunken, so Telefunken requested AKG to design and manufacture a mic for them to distribute; and that is the only reason why they exist. However, with that said, sometimes common knowledge is dead wrong and invite to be corrected by someone who knows for sure otherwise.

I still absolutely suggest AKG purposely designed the 250/251 for less low-end response; whatever the reason may be. I don’t understand how it would seem so far-fetched. I’m sure they could have made the low-end much more like the C12 if they so desired.

My speculation line of thought is that proximity is something considered now in design, why wouldn’t it be then? I bet it was. Granted, close miking became common after it was designed, but I suggest since the vocalist was much closer to the vocal mic relative to the orchestra/band, that may have been a consideration.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump