The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The API sound
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Craft View Post
Looks like Malcolm retired and the Ark consoles are branched off to a different company? They look totally different now. Same stuff inside?

A little wary of not going with a big name for resale reasons.. unless it's cheap enough.
I've been working with Malcolm at Ocean Audio for years. When Malcolm retired, I continued the business, but renamed the brand (to make it clear that Malcolm is no longer involved, and since we took a restart).

The new Ark consoles have been redesigned from the ground up, and are fully discrete, Class-A design, running on high voltage.
They largely outperform the Malcolm designed Ark on sound- and built quality and on features.

The new Ark is priced as a small-to-medium format console, but actually has the quality and features of large format consoles.
So you could call the new Ark "cheap", if you look at the quality and features you get

Cheers
Bruno
arkconsole.com
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Just took a look at the box 2. Good deal
Is the bus comp based on the 2500? For summing, is there an indent for the faders at 0? Looks like a great unit. I'm looking forward to your feedback after getting familiar with it.
Congrats Peter
I promised to give feedback after I got The Box 2.

Well, it didn't happen. I ordered it from API and was initially told they had one available, then it was a week wait, then two, then three..

In fairness to API, this is no doubt an indication of how many people want this console, but with every passing day I got more frustrated and in the meantime a used 1608 on reverb kept calling out to me.

So I switched gears and up'd the anti to the 1608, which is now sitting off to the side in my control room waiting to be set up.

I do have a question about tracking with the 1608. With my previous Toft console, I would exclusively use outboard mic pres going straight to protools, with the console used only for monitoring during tracking. Obviously I intend to make use of the mic pres in the 1608, but I still anticipate using some of my better outboard mic pres (Neve, Manley, Avalon) as well.

The question I have is would you go straight from the outboard pres into protools and return to the console for monitoring, or would you run it through the 1608 (to the line-ins on the console and then direct out to protools)? Part of me thinks the direct path is the better approach, but going through the console simplifies the setup for cue sends and maybe opens up possibilities to play with gain structure by allowing me to push the external mic pre and attenuate the signal with the fader.
Old 18th May 2019
Deleted be25781
So that's actually an upgrade.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Craft View Post
I promised to give feedback after I got The Box 2.

Well, it didn't happen. I ordered it from API and was initially told they had one available, then it was a week wait, then two, then three..

In fairness to API, this is no doubt an indication of how many people want this console, but with every passing day I got more frustrated and in the meantime a used 1608 on reverb kept calling out to me.

So I switched gears and up'd the anti to the 1608, which is now sitting off to the side in my control room waiting to be set up.

I do have a question about tracking with the 1608. With my previous Toft console, I would exclusively use outboard mic pres going straight to protools, with the console used only for monitoring during tracking. Obviously I intend to make use of the mic pres in the 1608, but I still anticipate using some of my better outboard mic pres (Neve, Manley, Avalon) as well.

The question I have is would you go straight from the outboard pres into protools and return to the console for monitoring, or would you run it through the 1608 (to the line-ins on the console and then direct out to protools)? Part of me thinks the direct path is the better approach, but going through the console simplifies the setup for cue sends and maybe opens up possibilities to play with gain structure by allowing me to push the external mic pre and attenuate the signal with the fader.
I have my outboard pres on the patchbay and patch into the line ins of my 1608. Direct outs to converters or tape
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I created it, wrote it, produced it and managed it. I started out engineering at 18. Morcheeba was by 23. Thanks! Mackie 3208 for those albums.
Those were excellent albums. You and AIR and a few others made some classic albums on Mackies. It must be the great songwriting and performances.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
I have my outboard pres on the patchbay and patch into the line ins of my 1608. Direct outs to converters or tape
That was my instinct. Thanks..
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I created it, wrote it, produced it and managed it. I started out engineering at 18. Morcheeba was by 23. Thanks! Mackie 3208 for those albums.
Well, I just spent the rest of my browsing tonight time exploring the Morcheeba catalog. Really cool stuff!
Old 19th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
Those were excellent albums. You and AIR and a few others made some classic albums on Mackies. It must be the great songwriting and performances.
No it was the consoles.
Old 19th May 2019
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
If you think the difference is worth it in this video, by all means get The Box. But it's mostly just a big summer.

Another option is the Speck Lilo, no eqs or pres though. But as you said you have a lot of outboard gear. I would make my own flexible setup with all the flavors.

Up to you man. Be wise.
I love the API sound but on that video, his ITB mix was better.

JusMyThoughts, Marc
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post

JusMyThoughts, Marc
Better is always subjective but I never judge quality from a youtube video, lol. That said The Box is a great mini console especially when driven into the sweet spot to gel a mix that you can't do in a DAW. Weather the cost is worth it is up to the individual doing the mixing, as for some a console is more inspiring while for others it is not. To each their own.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Head

The API sound..

How about a 3124 MB+, w/ pair of Tranzformer GT's and Tranzformer LX's [4-pedals total] on channel inserts [or use them on gtr/bass amp effects loops, amp inputs or DI's...]?? Swap out 3124 MB+'s DOA's [all six in pairs, or not] and create a custom API sound...

record Tracks and Mix thru it all. So versatile. Certainly, API...

works here..

Last edited by Mixxed Up; 4 weeks ago at 02:34 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
The API sound? Stevie Wonder's "Hotter Than July". I was there for some of it. I found the API to filter his great voice. The entire record sounds a bit lifeless to me, sorta canned and processed in not a good way. Guess I'm not a fan?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

JusMyThoughts, Marc
The Box mix is more compressed.
Old 3 weeks ago
500 series nutjob

Quote:

I have in the region of 70 500 modules now.
glad to hear i am not alone.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

JusMyThoughts, Marc
For me both sounds good, but the API it's more alive.

Daniel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search