Tree Audio 500 Console

add modules as you get the funds
Old 20th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
you can buy 500 series frames like this:

Tree Audio 500 Console

add modules as you get the funds
There was one in the classifieds I wish I'd bought for 5k.
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
The first 3 (at least) Chicago records were done at Columbia in NYC with in house custom consoles. Mid period was Caribu ranch, which had the ill faded Olive (look that thing up...) for a short time then Neve 80 series.

What early Chicago records used an API?
Guess I was wrong, the pics I saw sure looked like a API..
Old 20th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be25781 View Post
Tony, tell him about your Neotek.
I really like the Neotek. The pres sound great, are fast and can handle just about anything. The EQ sounds nice, though I use it less these days in the world of Pro Tools. It is great when I'm tracking and I want to EQ something, its one button away. There's a bit of crosstalk issues with the aux sends, but not huge. The mix bus never folds, which is great. Master sections has selection for 2 (maybe 3) monitors, oscillator, talk back, Aux masters, 2 2-track options.and even a couple of additional stereo inputs.

Its in-line so I have have 64 inputs (plus the 2 stereo) at mix if needed...

Built in patch bay with everything you'd need, including some mult patches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
Guess I was wrong, the pics I saw sure looked like a API..
I'm not saying there weren't records done on an API, was just wondering if you had some info I didn't know.
Old 21st April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I really like the Neotek. The pres sound great, are fast and can handle just about anything. The EQ sounds nice, though I use it less these days in the world of Pro Tools. It is great when I'm tracking and I want to EQ something, its one button away. There's a bit of crosstalk issues with the aux sends, but not huge. The mix bus never folds, which is great. Master sections has selection for 2 (maybe 3) monitors, oscillator, talk back, Aux masters, 2 2-track options.and even a couple of additional stereo inputs.

Its in-line so I have have 64 inputs (plus the 2 stereo) at mix if needed...

Built in patch bay with everything you'd need, including some mult patches.

I'm not saying there weren't records done on an API, was just wondering if you had some info I didn't know.
Some of the best Beastie Boys albums were done on their "Home" studio Neotek desk which weirdly turned up in Ireland for sale a couple of years ago for 5k. I was so sorely tempted. Those records sound great.
Classic Tracks : Beastie Boys 'Sabotage' |
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
I think I have the perfect candidate. You love Trident it seems. Malcolm Toft made the Ocean Audio Ark console, which is all modular.
Looks like Malcolm retired and the Ark consoles are branched off to a different company? They look totally different now. Same stuff inside?

A little wary of not going with a big name for resale reasons.. unless it's cheap enough.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
All in all the Box is extremely flexible and able to be bent to different workflows without breaking the bank IMHO.
I think this is probably where I'm heading.. As much as I want a 1608, this seems like the best compromise in terms of reliability, sound quality, space, and budget. Would love EQ on every channel, but you can't have everything..
Old 21st April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Craft View Post
Looks like Malcolm retired and the Ark consoles are branched off to a different company? They look totally different now. Same stuff inside?

A little wary of not going with a big name for resale reasons.. unless it's cheap enough.
Yes mine was so cheap I couldn't lose and the 500 and 1084 modules are easy to resell or put in a different desk/rack etc.

I have in the region of 70 500 modules now.

Main thing is though I have a big control room in an old church and I needed an impressive console. SSL anything modern - no. Didn't want an old desk either. Could have bought a 1608 for 20k when the pound was strong, should have. RND or Wunder for my modules - too expensive. Tonelux went down the toilet.
Calrec would have been not bad but the new ones are a bit boring.
It's hard to find a decent priced, console used - Audient's are cheap as chips and are very impressive looking and sounding. That would have been a good idea.

I've used Tridents for years and started on a TSM so I know Malcolm's routing. It made the most sense at the time and then he retired. Typical.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post

70!?

You've made my day. When my wife complains about me blowing the bank on a new console I'll say "yeah, but that guy has 70 500 modules!".

Thanks my friend. I owe you.
Old 21st April 2019
Deleted be25781
Quote:
I think this is probably where I'm heading.. As much as I want a 1608, this seems like the best compromise in terms of reliability, sound quality, space, and budget. Would love EQ on every channel, but you can't have everything..
And how about this?
Attached Thumbnails
The API sound-api-rack-4.jpg   The API sound-ph1_dsm_m.jpg  
Old 21st April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be25781 View Post
And how about this?
Can you still do that?
Old 21st April 2019
Quote:
70!?

You've made my day. When my wife complains about me blowing the bank on a new console I'll say "yeah, but that guy has 70 500 modules!".

Thanks my friend. I owe you.
Ha Ha, actually I have more. I just realised I have 40 in the desk, 4 racks of 10 and 2 portable lunchboxes of 8. Plus about 6 laying in the store room.
No wonder I've got no headroom.
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ha Ha, actually I have more. I just realised I have 40 in the desk, 4 racks of 10 and 2 portable lunchboxes of 8. Plus about 6 laying in the store room.
Very nice. At one point I had 3 10 space and a couple lunch boxes. A lot less these days but plans to build it back up in the future with a custom console.
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are a true Gearslutz Paul, lol.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
He only hangs out here because there's not a GearGlutz. :-)
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Will, Paul would be King Gear slut.
Paul you've either done really well or you have several money trees in your yard
Truly.....my hero.
Old 22nd April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Will, Paul would be King Gear slut.
Paul you've either done really well or you have several money trees in your yard
Truly.....my hero.
I did well in the mid to late 1990's when I had a "Trip Hop" group called Morcheeba that you may or may not have heard of. I invested (nearly) every penny into equipment and my studio and I don't regret a thing. Slowly I replaced the old grail gear for modern tools I feel less precious about but I still love the sound of.

The weird thing console wise is when I add up what I finally spent I could have bought a Wunder or an RND. Definitely a 1608. I got burnt by Tonelux though and it stopped me splashing out for a couple of years.

Anyway there's some of my story.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I did well in the mid to late 1990's when I had a "Trip Hop" group called Morcheeba that you may or may not have heard of.
Holy Sh.. You were in Morcheeba? Very very cool. What did you do in that band?

BTW - since I started this thread.. I've decided to hedge and go with The Box 2. I damn near sprung for the 1608, but the price and size of the TB2 was too attractive to pass up. A ton of great records were made with less functionality than the TB2. When I get my first gold record, I'll upgrade.

Many thanks to all of the people that offered advice here.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

BTW - since I started this thread.. I've decided to hedge and go with The Box 2. I damn near sprung for the 1608, but the price and size of the TB2 was too attractive to pass up. A ton of great records were made with less functionality than the TB2. When I get my first gold record, I'll upgrade.

Enjoy it, that Box 2 looks great, I would love to upgrade some day.
Old 22nd April 2019
Quote:

I created it, wrote it, produced it and managed it. I started out engineering at 18. Morcheeba was by 23. Thanks! Mackie 3208 for those albums.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Just took a look at the box 2. Good deal
Is the bus comp based on the 2500? For summing, is there an indent for the faders at 0? Looks like a great unit. I'm looking forward to your feedback after getting familiar with it.
Congrats Peter
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I created it, wrote it, produced it and managed it. I started out engineering at 18. Morcheeba was by 23. Thanks! Mackie 3208 for those albums.
I had a Mackie 24 and 24 channel expander . Although I wasn't technical at all, there was something very musical that I wasn't able to capture until I decided to start building a good analog setup. I was the hip hop and Baltimore club music guy and my partner did R & B. He did a few sessions recording Dru Hill and that was very very informative. WE didn't make a ton of money but we did pretty well. We soon after split and I started my own thing and got wiped out. Everything but my computer. Either which way, It took years for me to decide to rebuild and only deal with people that I would be cool with to date my daughter, If I had one. Tried the plugin only route but it ain't for me.
Anyway, this took a turn didn't it
I have 3 capi pre's, 2 capi 560 clones and a capi 525 clone. I do like them, especially the LC25's. I really would be interested in hearing the api's summing. Right now I'm using a Dangerous 2 bus+ with a Wes Audio Dione and Hyperion on the insert. I dig it a lot.
@ Peter ..If I were starting over, the box would definitely be 1 for me to consider.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Wow, that's fantastic. If you're ever in San Francisco and in need of a beer, hit me up. I bet you have great stories to tell.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Is the bus comp based on the 2500? For summing, is there an indent for the faders at 0? Looks like a great unit. I'm looking forward to your feedback after getting familiar with it.
Congrats Peter
From the manual:

“THE BOX 8” is equipped with two API 527 Compressor/Limiters.. The API 527 Compressor takes its place alongside the family of API VCA based compressors,
the 225L and the 2500 Stereo Bus Compressor. Anyone familiar with those units will
immediately be at home with the 527.

There's a bunch of GS threads about the difference between the 527 and 2500 and the gist seems to be very similar but not the same. I have no personal experience with either of them.

I will definitely follow up with feedback when I get it. I think this will be a very interesting, and hopefully positive exercise. I'm replacing a 24-channel Toft, so I'm upping the quality, but I'm actually losing a BUNCH of functionality (EQ on every channel, number of busses, FX returns). If I can't hear a difference I'm going to be a sad man.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Congrats Peter
The Box comp's are 527's with the 2500 thrust added, they can be assigned to 4 of the tracking channels or linked together on the 2 bus, they sound very similar to a 2500 but a little cleaner.

On the summing side the faders do not have an indent, but they do have a zero button that when pushed the faders are out and the channel is set to zero input so those channels can easily use the DAW's automation. It's a simple but brilliant solution that works surprisingly well IMHO in practical use.

Some of the hidden advantages of the Box that are never mentioned are that it runs on low electricity so it's never too hot, my Box does not need A/C so you don't get the power bill spike associated with many higher end consoles, making it very green friendly for a console. I'll also add that my original Box is easily movable for location work, it takes up just half of the backseat of my little hatchback, making it an amazing on the go console. Last is that there are balanced inserts on every channel allowing every user to make the Box into what they need with other hardware. Master section is top notch and IMHO up there with the big boy API consoles I've used, it's just a condensed version. API really nailed The BOX design IMHO.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm replacing a 24-channel Toft, so I'm upping the quality, but I'm actually losing a BUNCH of functionality (EQ on every channel, number of busses, FX returns). If I can't hear a difference I'm going to be a sad man.
An idea for EQ could be this:
Interphase Audio EQ8

It's from the new ARK console, it's an 8 channel EQ but you can assign different EQ parts to 2 channels, so in theory it can cover 16 channels with different EQ needs. Team that with ITB plugin EQ's and it looks to be a serious option. FWIW the EQ is a modern Trident based EQ that's coming is at around $600 per channel, less with the preorder discount. See this thread:

Interphase Audio Ark8 Console
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
An idea for EQ could be this:
Interphase Audio EQ8

It's from the new ARK console, it's an 8 channel EQ but you can assign different EQ parts to 2 channels, so in theory it can cover 16 channels with different EQ needs. Team that with ITB plugin EQ's and it looks to be a serious option. FWIW the EQ is a modern Trident based EQ that's coming is at around $600 per channel, less with the preorder discount. See this thread:

Interphase Audio Ark8 Console
I'll check that out.

My current thinking is to use the existing outboard channel strips (chandler, calrec, millennia, warm wa73) for some of the channels and over time, populate the 500 slots for the others. The attractive part of filling the 500 slots is if I do upgrade later, I can carry them forward.
Old 22nd April 2019
Deleted 063dc0d
API has a sound that comes from the 2520.

It’s not as thick as Neve but it has a upper midrange that’s forward in a pleasing way. In the same way Neve has the lower midrange forward.

In terms of sonics, I’ve used an 8200 summing system and on top of the 2520 color, the mix had more separation and a very balanced and stable sound. Definition. A weight to each track. It must come from the quality in the wiring etc things just hang in their own lane more. In that way where you can hear each instrument clearly with all of its color.

In terms of console, that’s all about workflow and budget.

People oftentimes like mixing on SSL because of channel dynamics, center section, automation and total recall.
Old 22nd April 2019
Quote:
Wow, that's fantastic. If you're ever in San Francisco and in need of a beer, hit me up. I bet you have great stories to tell.
That's a great offer. Thank you very much.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

The new Box is nice, congrats on your decision. I agree with Will, the comps are a good bit cleaner than a 2500, and are notably missing my favorite feature - variable link. To me the 2500 brings the thunder and the 527's are much more polite. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the onboard comps.

The channel count is great, and for a hybrid setup (the intended user base) I personally don't want analog eq on every channel. I only wish for one or two more busses, but for a fully discrete desk at this price it is really an amazing option.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search