The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving into high end preamps
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Head

Moving into high end preamps

Hello,
I am slowly moving into high end preamps and have boiled down to my 3 choices. It's not easy to raise the funds for these and the first one I get I think I want it to be the closest to an all around good starter. I have read GS threads on all of these but if you had to choose 1 as a desert island pre which one would it be?
Wunder Audio PAFOUR
API 3124
Daking Mic Pre IV
Thanks for your help, I live in Maine and dont have any way to trial these.
Scott
Old 18th April 2019
What kind of music are you doing?
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Head

Oh yeah, duh me...
Standard country, rock, blues, acoustic. Drums, bass, keys, guitars, vocals
Scott
Old 18th April 2019
Wunder is like a cleaner airier Neve. API is relatively colored and punchy. Daking is relatively clean and airy. I like a colored Neve flavor, the Vintech 473 sounds big and colored, all made in the USA.
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Head

Nathan,
Thank you. If you had to choose only 1 to start with which one would you choose?
Old 18th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthc View Post
Nathan,
Thank you. If you had to choose only 1 to start with which one would you choose?
Vintech would be my first choice then Wunder although API is really nice (check out CAPI Platinum too).
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Maniac

API is a well regarded standard in the Genera's you have listed.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

The Daking is a more flexible preamp than the API and when driven has more balls... IMO of course.

I like APIs for certain things though...
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear
I very highly recommend anything by BAE.

I have their BAE 1073D pre/EQ - it is absolutely superb and gives a very familiar classy sound to anything I record it.
The DI on it is also excellent.
Old 18th April 2019
My first high end pre was a BAE 1073 MPF, which I still love and use all the time. I’ve also love my api 512v though it get’s probably used less often on vocals. The BAE’s get used on everything. I also have a Mercury m72 which is my current goto on vocals. I doubt you would be disappointed with any of these, or any of the ones you’ve listed.

For me, what distinguishes a high end pre from the rest is the amount of good clean gain you get out of it without noise. The cheaper ones all seem to get noisy in the upper gain range. The pricier ones are often sought for their color, but most of the time I’m running them clean and loud.
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Nut

I would recommend the Vintech 473.

Quote:
The Daking is a more flexible preamp than the API and when driven has more balls... IMO of course.
Not sure I'd agree with that .
The API can sound very forward when driven.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

I’m aware, I use both regularly and stick by my guns
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Speaking as someone who’s only got a few good pre amps (api 3124, aurora gtq and audient) I’d say get the api, although can’t comment about the Daking.

It’ll sound good on a everything and can be quite clean if needed.
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Guru

All rounders-Capi VP28’s
I’ve used,had everything.
Vintage neve Helios api A range v76 daking etc etc
The Capis sound thicker bigger than the API 3124 and more flexible.pad,output fader /amp.not expensive and loads of great techs can build them for you.
Built well,literally works great on any source.
Old 19th April 2019
Coils sound like music.
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I know the discussion is around those particular preamps, but I have to say the Atlas Pro Audio juggernaut nickel is the closest thing to a “do it all great” preamp I’ve come across. That thing has so much versatility of tone and really sounds superb.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search