The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buzz SOC vs Avalon 2044 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4 weeks ago
Buzz SOC vs Avalon 2044

Curious about these opto comps. Both utilize similar technology, from what I’ve read the Buzz is faster and more versatile, and the Avalon is a more traditional piece.

Can the Buzz do it all?

Is the Avalon better for certain things?

Is it justifiable to consider both (not just to be slutty)?

What about the ELOP?

I have only 1 channel of opto compression in my rack (diy LA2A), looking for a pair to use for stereo recording/mixing.

I have a pair of FET comps (Volfram), Diode Bridge (DBC20), and 2 sets of stereo VCAs (SSL clone/SVC). Want to add a stereo opto option to round out the toolbox.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have both. Good units. SOC has the fast attack, the avalon has killer amps. SOC slightly warm sound, ad2044 class a solid sound. Both clean comp action.
Old 4 weeks ago
The SOC1.1 is discontinued. The SOC20 is the class A discrete version with mid-side. The SOC1.1 is very neutral, the SOC20 quite a bit more colored. Both can be very fast for an opto comp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesaver800W View Post
I have both. Good units. SOC has the fast attack, the avalon has killer amps. SOC slightly warm sound, ad2044 class a solid sound. Both clean comp action.
Thanks for this, except now I kind of want both... any experience with the ELOP?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
The SOC1.1 is discontinued. The SOC20 is the class A discrete version with mid-side. The SOC1.1 is very neutral, the SOC20 quite a bit more colored. Both can be very fast for an opto comp.
I didn’t realize they were so different, actually thought the 1.1 was the same less m/s. Love my DBC, Tim and Co. make good stuff. Would you say the SOC20 is less suitable on the 2 buss? Seems like that’s where the m/s would come in most useful (or mastering perhaps), yet the added “color” isn’t usually as useful for those purposes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
I didn’t realize they were so different, actually thought the 1.1 was the same less m/s. Love my DBC, Tim and Co. make good stuff. Would you say the SOC20 is less suitable on the 2 buss? Seems like that’s where the m/s would come in most useful (or mastering perhaps), yet the added “color” isn’t usually as useful for those purposes.
Unless you are talking about classical music I would say every other genre would benefit from the added color of the SOC20. It doesn’t hit you over the head but it adds something a little extra and makes things sound bigger. It takes a LOT of outboard gear to have anywhere near too much color IME, you could have an SOC20 on every channel and there still wouldn’t be too much color IMHO.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
Thanks for this, except now I kind of want both... any experience with the ELOP?
Yeah the elop (original) is all about the cool amps and transformers, the actual compression is kinda more limited (no pun intended) w fixed ratio and so on, compared to the other two.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Unless you are talking about classical music I would say every other genre would benefit from the added color of the SOC20. It doesn’t hit you over the head but it adds something a little extra and makes things sound bigger. It takes a LOT of outboard gear to have anywhere near too much color IME, you could have an SOC20 on every channel and there still wouldn’t be too much color IMHO.
I do some classical, but I don’t compress at all on the way in when I do, and generally just use plugins conservatively itb while mixing. This compressor will be used on everything else from from experimental metal to pop country to hip hop and so on.

I do prefer versatile equipment that can be used in many situations and genres. Subtle enough to take the edge off while tracking, powerful enough to stay musical while squeezing stems in the mix. I’m definitely not afraid of color for most applications, especially when the equipment gives you as much control as the SOC seems to. The addition of m/s to the SOC20 is a cool feature, would love to have that in my hardware rack as an option. Seems like the smart choice for now, maybe I’ll ad an Avalon or an ELOP down the road.

Thanks for all the info and advice.
Old 3 weeks ago
I think you’re on the right track. I have the SOC 1.1
Find it very versatile across a wide range of genres and it stays on my two bus. More than a little warm in my opinion. Very nice color.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

SOC1.1 is the bomb for me

It looks like you got the input you needed. I'm late to the party, but between the Avalon, ELOP and SOC1.1, all of which I've owned at one time or another, the SOC is the only one I've kept. In fact, as I've gone through gear, keeping some, selling some and moving others around, it is the one piece that stays in the same rack space year after year. Apart from one or two mic pres it is the most essential piece of gear I own.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hone View Post
It looks like you got the input you needed. I'm late to the party, but between the Avalon, ELOP and SOC1.1, all of which I've owned at one time or another, the SOC is the only one I've kept. In fact, as I've gone through gear, keeping some, selling some and moving others around, it is the one piece that stays in the same rack space year after year. Apart from one or two mic pres it is the most essential piece of gear I own.
Same experience here. It’s highly prized and totally underrated. Piece of gold!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search