The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
6386 Manley Vari Mu Vibe Loss?
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Nut

6386 Manley Vari Mu Vibe Loss?

I read when earlier 6386 tube Vari Mu's get upgraded with highpass switches they loose their "vibe". I know they definitely have vibe, does this mod really change that?

Can anyone with direct experience comment please?
Old 17th April 2019
That’s absolute nonsense. I had one from the late 90’s added both the HP and TMod and both mods improved it by a massive amount.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
That’s absolute nonsense. I had one from the late 90’s added both the HP and TMod and both mods improved it by a massive amount.
That’s great to hear. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Mind View Post
I read when earlier 6386 tube Vari Mu's get upgraded with highpass switches they loose their "vibe". I know they definitely have vibe, does this mod really change that?

Can anyone with direct experience comment please?
You might be a bit confused. The non 6386 Vari-Mu’s have a different “vibe” to the earlier models that used that tube. Manley had to make the change as 6386’s became harder to find/more & more expensive. The filter mod/upgrade doesn’t affect the sound/vibe.
If you can get an older 6386 model (but save up for replacement tubes!).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I know T bar mod affects the compression behavior, allowing for improvements at higher levels of gain reduction. But does it affect the box tone when no compression is used? I know some slight compression occurs even with threshold all the way up, but does the mod affect the overall boxtone of the Vari Mu?

Last edited by Slug1; 4 weeks ago at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Sp
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
I know T bar mod affects the compression behavior, allowing for improvements at higher levels of gain reduction. But does it affect the box tone when no compression is used? I know some slight compression occurs even with threshold all the way up, but does the mod affect the overall boxtone of the Vari Mu?
No same tone, w/ TBar more forgiving compression behavior.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
You might be a bit confused. The non 6386 Vari-Mu’s have a different “vibe” to the earlier models that used that tube. Manley had to make the change as 6386’s became harder to find/more & more expensive. The filter mod/upgrade doesn’t affect the sound/vibe.
If you can get an older 6386 model (but save up for replacement tubes!).
Yes to clarify I read that adding the sc hipass filter mod to a unit like the 6386 model that doesn’t originally have it makes it loose it’s vibe.

Adding the mod does change its circuit, extra wire, parts, etc.. Thats why was checking to see if anyone had direct experience with this. Thanks for the reply.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
No same tone, w/ TBar more forgiving compression behavior.
Thanks a bunch. I was contemplating the mod, but I really only use it for the tube flavor on the input. I have threshold all the way up, attack at slowest setting and release at fastest setting. Its a beautiful box and I don't know what I would do without its footprint on my sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search