The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AEA RPQ2 vs. RPQ500 Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

AEA RPQ2 vs. RPQ500

I'm trying to decide between the AEA RPQ2 and the RPQ500. I've got a R84 that I can't get loud enough with my current pres without it getting noisy. I know these AEA pres excel at getting ribbons up to where you need them cleanly.

Currently, I've got space in my rack for 2 500 units, but don't really have space for a 1U unit (but I'm sure I could figure something out). So I'm leaning slightly towards the RPQ500, especially since they're a bit cheaper. But is the impedance difference an issue or noticeable? The RPQ2 is 63kΩ, while the RPQ500 is "only" 10kΩ. Does that matter in reality for practical, typical usage? Am I really going to get a better top end response with the RPQ2 than the RPQ500? And does it make any difference in terms of the noise floor level?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

I asked a similar question to AEA directly via email. I hope they don't mind me sharing their answer, in case others find the information interesting/useful:

Quote:
To be honest the differences between the 10K and 63K input impedances are very minimal, it mainly has to do with how much level you will get from the mic but the difference is in the tens of nano-volts. I personally am not able to tell the differences between the two.
I also asked if there was a difference in terms of noise floor and they said:

Quote:
Not really the circuits between the two are nearly identical.
I'd still be interested in user opinions, if anyone has any!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

not answering your questions directly, but i have a RCA 77DX ribbon, and for gain bought a variable impedance cloudlifter.

cloudlifter CL-Z. i found anything above 3K impedance sounded good.

the higher values didnt seem to add anything here for me. 3K was the spot.

here is a mono recording of my yamaha U3 upright with a RCA 77 into a cloudlifter CL-Z on the 3K setting, and the mic just placed by the side of the piano.

just a soundcheck, nothing flash. notice the top end is soft.

Hope that helps

Buddha
Attached Files

piano RCA-77dx.mp3 (2.52 MB, 105 views)

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Either will work well for you. The RPQ500 doesn't have the DI and has a lower input impedance at 10k ohms. 10k ohms is still a plenty, but the RPQ2 has 60k+ ohms. The DI input also has a hi-z/low-z switch which works wonders on active and passive pickups.

In my opinion, if you could use the DI and want to spend the cash on the slightly higher impedence get the RPQ2. If not, the RPQ500 will work beautifully on your ribbons.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search