The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aurora GTQ2 vs Seventh Circle N72 Single-Channel Preamps
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Aurora GTQ2 vs Seventh Circle N72

I have been using SCA N72's since I started producing years ago. I have always liked them, but I have no idea to how they stack up to other things. I have read a lot of good things about the Aurora GTQ2 and I wonder if id be excited about the upgrade. It would mostly be for vocals.

Ill probably compare them in my space but I'm wondering...

Is this going to be a sonic upgrade, or is more of a lateral move?

Has anyone ever compared them?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebloveless View Post
I have been using SCA N72's since I started producing years ago. I have always liked them, but I have no idea to how they stack up to other things. I have read a lot of good things about the Aurora GTQ2 and I wonder if id be excited about the upgrade. It would mostly be for vocals.

Ill probably compare them in my space but I'm wondering...

Is this going to be a sonic upgrade, or is more of a lateral move?

Has anyone ever compared them?
I'd say it's a bit different, the aurora have a nice sparkly/open topend compared to a neve (or even other neve clones)..

I'd say that is a different version of the same colour.. The aurora is really good though..
If that's better, worse or a lateral move is really up to YOUR taste.

I'd say more of a lateral move, from a sonic palette perspective, but it doesn't sound the same as the n72.. So maybe it's exactly what you're looking for..

Dunno if that helps,

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

The Aurora has a simple, but very good sounding EQ, which can be used at line level as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I'd say it's a bit different, the aurora have a nice sparkly/open topend compared to a neve (or even other neve clones)..

I'd say that is a different version of the same colour.. The aurora is really good though..
If that's better, worse or a lateral move is really up to YOUR taste.

I'd say more of a lateral move, from a sonic palette perspective, but it doesn't sound the same as the n72.. So maybe it's exactly what you're looking for..

Dunno if that helps,

Cheu
Thanks for this response! Do you use both of these? Have you heard them both? I know the N72 is a little more open than a traditional Neve, is the Aurora more open?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for this response! Do you use both of these? Have you heard them both? I know the N72 is a little more open than a traditional Neve, is the Aurora more open?
Hi

The N72 is a nicely designed replica of a Neve 1272.

The GTQ2 is my design and a look under the cover will show that it's not a clone of anything Neve... it uses our unique transformers and my unique circuitry.

Many folk, including big name artists, have bought the GTQ2 because it sounds better than a Neve. You also get a 3 band EQ, high pass filter, and a really killer DI.

There's no wall wart...you plug the power straight in the back.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn't do a scientific a/b between these two, but have heard both (and own the GTQ2 along with Avedis Audio MA5).
I can't say if the Aurora is more open, I have the impression that has a more open topend, yes.. in a nice and non harsh way.

Both the GTQ2 and MA5 are not clones but original designs (as Geoff pointed out)..they do share the same topology, but are not at all copies.
They sound great!

if you find them better than a N72 is hard to say...it depends on what mic you're using, the source and of course your goals and tastes.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Good thread. I am also looking at “clone” pres meant to harken back to the vintage Neves (SCA n72, BAE, Vintage Audio 1272, etc.) and comparing newer revisions (Aurora GTQ2, Avedis MA5, etc.).

I currently have the Vintage Audio M73, which I generally like and it has a vintage vibe for sure (similar to the n72 from what I can tell, though I have only heard clips of the n72). The Ed Anderson transformers in my original M73 seem to give it a nice thicker, slightly darker quality compared to the Carnhill equipped models I have heard.

For Aurora users, my question is, can the EQ on an Aurora GTQ2 be used to get it closer to the thicker, darker, “vintage” sound and subdue the high end a bit? I ask because I could find uses for both the “vintage” and “modern” sounds, so a unit that could produce both convincingly would be valuable to me. Any vocal clips with EQ adjustments showcased would be awesome (or directions to such thread). Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi

On our site...

http://auroraaudio.net/products/outb...out/gtq2-media

On Zenpro Audio's Cliperator, select Preamps and then GTQC as the pre in a GTQC is identical to a GTQ2

https://www.zenproaudio.com/clipalator

Plus any opinions readers might post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinrooster View Post
Good thread. I am also looking at “clone” pres meant to harken back to the vintage Neves (SCA n72, BAE, Vintage Audio 1272, etc.) and comparing newer revisions (Aurora GTQ2, Avedis MA5, etc.).

I currently have the Vintage Audio M73, which I generally like and it has a vintage vibe for sure (similar to the n72 from what I can tell, though I have only heard clips of the n72). The Ed Anderson transformers in my original M73 seem to give it a nice thicker, slightly darker quality compared to the Carnhill equipped models I have heard.

For Aurora users, my question is, can the EQ on an Aurora GTQ2 be used to get it closer to the thicker, darker, “vintage” sound and subdue the high end a bit? I ask because I could find uses for both the “vintage” and “modern” sounds, so a unit that could produce both convincingly would be valuable to me. Any vocal clips with EQ adjustments showcased would be awesome (or directions to such thread). Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Just to clarify, I am not asking whether the GTQ2 can perfectly copy the vintage Neve sound. I am just wondering whether the EQ is capable of thickening the sound of it to be closer to what we think of as “vintage” in a way that makes it fit a similar need in the studio. AND I absolutely love the sounds I have heard so far from Geoff’s designs, which is why I am asking about the flexibility of the EQ on the GTQ2
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thank you, Geoff! I guess I did not think about going to your site (oops!). I really appreciate your response

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search