The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann M149 sound of bad tube ? Condenser Microphones
Old 15th April 2019
Here for the gear

Neumann M149 sound of bad tube ?

Hello guys
I'm a newbie to this forum so If I describe it in the wrong way please forgive me.
I just recently bought a used Neumann M149, when I plugged everything in and turned it on, there is a very weird sound, it is like a rumbling static and sometimes like a thunderstorm sounds, however when I unplugged the KT8 Cable and plugged it back in, the bad sound is gone and the mic sounded good again. It happened from time to time, so is this a sign of the tube is about to go bad? or are there any problems with the capsule. Please help me. Thank you so much for your time.
Attached Files

M149 (bad sound).mp3 (3.67 MB, 384 views)

Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

The sample is inconclusive. Please perform the breath test: if the discharge sounds change, you have a capsule problem. If they remain the same, you have an amp problem.
Old 15th April 2019
Lives for gear

That is actually normal and occurs when you switch between patterns. I've talked to several owners who experienced the same thing. Mine does that as well.
Old 15th April 2019
Gear Nut
That's if he's changing patterns during this clip - But yes - that's similar to the sound it makes when changing the pattern.
Old 15th April 2019
When I first turn on my M149 I get a big noise... then I turn it off and on again.... no noise.... Try that.
Attached Files

Neumann M149 noise 44k mix.mp3 (193.2 KB, 300 views)

Old 15th April 2019
Here for the gear

This is when I first turn it on without changing the pattern, it happens from time to time, I have to unplugged it and plugged the cable back in and sometimes it’s gone.
Thanks Klaus for the suggestion and everyone else for the input. It’s really helpful to me
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

I did a breath test like Klaus recommended, it seems to me it passed the breath test, I attached the test just so to confirm if I was doing it right or not, I also attached another audio clip when I sing acapella to test it, is that how M149 suppose to sound? The chain is M149-->Neve 1073 DPA-->LA2A---> UA Apollo.
So if it is a amp problem,what should I do to fix it? should I buy another power supplier, or new cable ?
Attached Files

breath test.mp3 (1.64 MB, 246 views)

M149 (acapella test).mp3 (1.40 MB, 263 views)

Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

I had a tube crap out in a 147 and it made similar sounds along with some almost ground issue like noises. I suspect you're right about the tube.
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you andersmv, it helps me much by clarify the problem for me. Did you have it done by the tech or Neumann? May I ask how much is it cost?
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmusic View Post
Thank you andersmv, it helps me much by clarify the problem for me. Did you have it done by the tech or Neumann? May I ask how much is it cost?
It wasn't my mic, so I'm not sure about cost or anything.
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Maniac

The studio I work out of picked up a noisy M147 (that sounded somewhat like that) to go along with another M147. Chris at Barbaric Amplification confirmed it was likely the tube, so the owner picked up a handful of tubes and Chris installed one. Noise is gone.

I have yet to play with them, but should we not eventually find them useful on anything specific, we’ll have Chris replace the circuitry with something that gets us more excited!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search