The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many Platinum Engineers prefer to mix ITB Consoles
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I believe with all of them, it's about budget, Mike Shipley has also mixed records on consoles, I think the Maroon 5, and Tchad Blake was working out of Real World when there's a budget., Massenburg I don't know about
I don't think so. I can't think of one artist either Mike or Tchad has mixed that couldn't afford to go to a conventional SSL studio. I think it's about a sound and preference. Sometimes you want ITB. Sometimes you want OTB. But ultimately those guys don't compromise on their sound for moneys sake.
Old 25th September 2011
I'm wondering how many "platinum" engineers from this years old thread are still platinum? How many records sell platinum anymore? Do they present you with a platinum Ipod or something? Do you get a MP-3 certificate too? Or a new DAW in platinum?

And what's so bad being a golden engineer? I don't see gangsta rappers wearing platinum, they still prefer gold.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
A little mentioned area of the "high end mixing spectrum" are the digital console guys like Alan Meyerson, Frank Filipetti, Steve Rodby, Dickie Chappel, Mick Guzauski - delivering fantastic mixes within their genres on Sony Oxfords, Neve Capricorns or System 5s. Not shure how much analog outboard is involved in their cases.

Digital OTB.
Frank Filipetti stated in his webinar at Avid.com that once he's ITB, that's where he stays. He's got tons of cool outboard, but that's all for tracking or so he says. He's currently using HD Native (but I believe he's still using 192s or Apogee for AD/DA) an Antelope w/Atomic Clock, UAD2 Quad which he raved about and a D-Command.

I've got a old DA7 digital which sounds pretty good. 24 In & Out via an older RME Hammerfall on PT 9, but I'm building a new room and thinking hard about going strictly ITB with Native & a C24 (I've also got an old Spectrasonics 1020 console I may break out into a 16 -20 channel racked front end). Times are definitely changing.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's been a few years since I've gone "plantinum", but I really prefer NOT mixing ITB. I've done every permutation....ITB, hybrid with summing, with a console....and I definately would put totally ITB dead last from a sonic and sounstage perspective. Also, I really prefer hardware compressors for some things. As much as I try, I have not gotten the same mojo from ITB as I can with an analog component to the chain.

Kirt Shearer
Old 18th May 2018
Here for the gear

I recently parted ways with my Neve 8816. I realize that one can’t determine outboard Summing vs. ITB by comparing only one type of gear but in the end I was finding the Neve “softened “ things. Some styles of music benefited from this but in the end for most of the styles of music I work on I was missing the “forward” ness of the Protools output by itself. I believe now with the new Audio engine in Protools any advantage from analog Summing isn’t worth the expense
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

I have a thread about this same thing. I'm not seeing any benefit to summing. It maybe different, but I don't feel it's beneficial.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear
At the top level, All in the box is a matter of time and cost. Things can be done faster in the box with total recall. However, tracking still takes a good front end, so the need for analog equipment will not go away from a long time no matter how you mix. Eventually we will only have have digital mics, but that time is a long ways off yet.

Mix's can be good enough all ITB for less money. Maximum quality is still an all analog thing when it comes to mixing. I have only found one thing I like about all ITB mixing I like better than analog, and that's panning/surround. The stereo image is maintained from mic's though mix better in the box. Dynamic's effects, EQ's everything but panning, I prefer analog.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Maximum quality is still an all analog thing when it comes to mixing.
Maybe for you. I find myself doing ITB mixes these days that are as good or better than my favorite console mixes. If you try and do ITB like an analog mix, you might wind up preferring analog. It definitely requires a different approach. But I have infinitely more control and flexibility ITB, and my automation options go so far beyond what's possible in the analog realm.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
Maybe for you. I find myself doing ITB mixes these days that are as good or better than my favorite console mixes. If you try and do ITB like an analog mix, you might wind up preferring analog. It definitely requires a different approach. But I have infinitely more control and flexibility ITB, and my automation options go so far beyond what's possible in the analog realm.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyarecords View Post
Phil Tan.....32 fader Icon/Pro Tools
Phil bought my inward connections mastering EQ1 .. told me recently he’s still rocking it ..
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Guru

I had a summing box a long time ago. Just lately I've been "summing" with pairs of transformers, which to me sound better for summing than the summing box did. At this point I have 3 pairs and they're all different. And they can do cool things to individual elements, too. Lots of benefit for a cash outlay that's maybe 1/3 of what the summing box was.

Even with all that, at least half the time I like the un-summed mix better.
Old 18th May 2018
Deleted c2a9416
interesting thread read from the beginning - you'd be forgiven for thinking no one would be using analogue at all by now ..
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

BTW, the premise of this thread is faulty. Platinum records are as obsolete as analog recording. Now that people listen to Spotify instead of buying records, the RIAA should give artists an award called The Golden Stream.
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
... The Golden Stream.
Funniest thing on GS in a long, long time. Ten thumbs up.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

How many engineers in the ITB era have had platinum albums? have there even been any platinum albums since Napster and YT??
Old 19th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal_SINE View Post
How many engineers in the ITB era have had platinum albums? have there even been any platinum albums since Napster and YT??
so far this year...
https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?...search_section
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuLio View Post
there are only 20 gold album this year? wow
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you try and do ITB like an analog mix, you might wind up preferring analog. It definitely requires a different approach.
I'm not remotely on the level of most of you guys but I find reading this thread extermely interesting.

Would (or could) you care to explain HOW you mix stuff different ITB vs OTB?

Ever since I've bought some decent outboard (mostly DIY stuff) I struggle even more to get the plugin versions of the outboard I have to behave. The LA-2/3's, 1176's, Pultecs,... of the plugin world do not give me the same results like the hardware, not even close.

Instantiating a plugin, trying to get it in the ballpark of the sound I have in my head, adding another one (or even 2) to get it to behave takes away from my creative thinking. Loading up an external insert and turning 2/3 knobs usually gets me "there" much faster so I can focus on the next thing on the 5000-item to-do list in my head.

(I currently have about 30 channels of outboard stuff I use and about to add a 2nd 32 AD/DA to expand on that even further)

Thanks in advance,
Herwg
Old 19th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
I'm not remotely on the level of most of you guys but I find reading this thread extermely interesting.

Would (or could) you care to explain HOW you mix stuff different ITB vs OTB?

First off, I do much more processing than I would OTB. On the console, I would find myself simply EQ'ing certain things. If I'm ITB, I might also add the UAD LA2 for the flavor, more than just the compression, as well as adding an EQ. Also, frequently, I'll add the Studer 800, occasionally using the lo-fi type sounds, to add some distortion and extra harmonic content.

Those aren't my rules for ITB, but I'm just giving you a couple examples of an approach. A console might add flavor doing less, so I might take a couple extra steps ITB to add some flavor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search