The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
4/8 channel clean micpre recommendations Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Addict
Amec cib (by neve) 9098...neve 8801...portico has color but is clean and stellar
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave View Post
So there is no love for the Grace Design? Contenders at this stage seem (in no order of hierarchy) to be the NPNG, Millennia, GML, Buzz Audio 4 channel, John Hardy M-1?
Actually the guys here have Hardy and liked Grace a bit more for VO FWIW. This isn't a knock on Hardy been doing great for years.......Thinking of a Grace monitoring system also...
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

If analog and digital outputs are desirable, you really need a Crane Song Spider on your list. Check out Alison Krauss "Paper Airplane." The preamp is just one part of the sound, but they are great - especially on acoustic stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Read a review about a 500 series by Cranborne that said it could do super clean and more. But it’s 500 format. Good price if you already have a 500 rack.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
These are all fantastic suggestions. A number of these I would not have considered had I not started this thread - the Gordon, Juggernaut and Pueblo Audio, which I am considering. Such hard choices.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Hardy is great for the stated criteria, and a solid design that has been honed over time, and that a competent tech won’t have a hard time working on if you ever need service in the future. The Daking is in similar territory.

Plenty of other great choices mentioned.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
There are plenty of excellent choices to choose from indeed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Instead of buying on four or eight channel preamp, I have been considering buying a 2 channel Millenia and a 2 channel Daking. Millenia for the piano and Daking for bass and horn. Of course, depending on the circumstances and the music these roles can be switched. I like the idea of super clean for piano and I have heard demos of the millenia on piano and loved it. On the other hand, the 2 channel Daking can do clean and more and has a HPF on each channel which would be very useful for piano or any acoustic instrument for that matter. Most importantly, these two cost about as much as a high end four channel.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The good thing about the suggestions is that all of the recommended models come as dual preamps so I am considering a combination of them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Daking IV.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Daking IV.
I love Daking but it’s not clean and transparent is it? I’ve used them a fair amount in the past. Maybe my memory fails me?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I love Daking but it’s not clean and transparent is it? I’ve used them a fair amount in the past. Maybe my memory fails me?
No, not clean at all sitting somewhere between API and vintage Neve IMHO, maybe he did not read the OP's needs, lol.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
No, not clean at all sitting somewhere between API and vintage Neve IMHO, maybe he did not read the OP's needs, lol.
If you think Daking sound like that you never record with it.!!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
thats exactly how I’d describe it. And I used it a fair amount. API and Neve. That’s what it sounded like to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Daking is really high headroom, and not particularly slow. I think of them as cleaner, fuller and more open sounding. It’s not quite a John Hardy but...huh, go figure.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I wish someone would try to break down clean. OK so no distortion. Is the true difference in definition, transient response, being flat? Without qualifying it, the argument will go around in circles. A Martech, Hardy, Grace, DAV, are all considered clean. What's the real difference?

Otherwise we're just throwing out names and preferences. I would think: fast response, sophistication of circuitry and flat response would rule the day. Specs don't seem to be anything more than a rough guideline. Clean tube gear seems to be the pinnacle still, but why?.....
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
thats exactly how I’d describe it. And I used it a fair amount. API and Neve. That’s what it sounded like to me.
Different ideas of what “clean” means.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Different ideas of what “clean” means.
Probably. It’s so subjective. To me API and Neve aren’t clean. You’d agree? Daking is less colored than those as I recall. And yes a lot of headroom. But it seemed colored to me. Color = not clean and transparent. For me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Clean = straight wire with gain.
What goes in is what comes out just louder.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've used them and would never call them clean as they clearly color in a wonderful way I would describe as in between vintage Neve low mid forward and API high mid forward. I would also never call them larger than life as the OP was asking for, just tight and musical.

As you seemed to skip the OP's original post:

Quote:
I am after 4/8 channels of super clean, super accurate, large than life, low noise, mic pres to record mainly acoustic instruments eg grand piano, guitar, violin, banjo, flute, and acoustic drum kit.
If you truly believe Daking are super clean, super accurate, and larger than life you need to use more high end gear.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I've used them and would never call them clean as they clearly color in a wonderful way I would describe as in between vintage Neve low mid forward and API high mid forward. I would also never call them larger than life as the OP was asking for, just tight and musical.

As you seemed to skip the OP's original post:

If you truly believe Daking are super clean, super accurate, and larger than life you need to use more high end gear.

thank's for your condescendence answer i will see what i can do........
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I would not call Daking clean or transparent. They have a color of their own.

Personally I prefer and recommend the Vintech 473 if you want a more versatile pre that can go from clean to colored.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
thank's for your condescendence answer i will see what i can do........
As I recall your first response was pretty condescending - "If you think Daking sound like that you never record with it.!!!!"
LOL.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I just heard that Buzz Audio are releasing a new MA.2.2.B in about 6 weeks time. It looks very interesting. The new MA2.2B unit will have a calibrated gain controls for precise stereo matching and a nice led level meter. It will also have click-less switching of the pad, phase and other functions.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanlon View Post
Definitely checkout DAV electronics bg2. They are fantastic mic pres.
+1

My interest in 'the great preamp hunt' has pretty much dwindled to zero once I got some DAVs in here (BG2 + BG9).

I realise in saying that I may have to turn in my Gearslutz card!

I agree with previous posters that we all have a criteria for what makes a good preamp and that one person's 'clean' is another person's 'musical & euphonic' is another person's 'dark & coloured' - DAVs probably aren't the most ultra-transparent out of the commendations you have here but they just sound so entirely satisfactory to my ears on everything that I no longer worry about what the alternative might be like, be it 'cleaner' or 'more coloured' or otherwise. The price of a 4-channel unit like the BG2 is also very competitive at around €200 per channel - worth remembering when they can go up against units costing €1,000 per channel!

That said, please take my opinions in context, which is that I feel a bit of a fraud coming into the High End Forum in that I haven't used Pueblo, Gordon, Forssell, Crookwood, etc.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 2 weeks ago at 06:15 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Being down under in New Zealand (and with me living away from the main centres) I do not get many opportunities to test gear out prior to purchasing unless it is from Buzz Audio (which makes superb gear as you know).

I have a Buzz Audio MA.2.2 (which has both the transformer and transformer-less options, which I tested before purchasing 6 years ago) which I absolutely love (as as well as some single channel mic pres - VoxBox, Amek CIB and Amek 9098). I also have 8 Yamaha channels, which are fine with toms.

I am after 4/8 channels of super clean, super accurate, large than life, low noise, mic pres to record mainly acoustic instruments eg grand piano, guitar, violin, banjo, flute, and acoustic drum kit.

I was thinking of the Grace Design M108 or a 4 channel NPNG.

What attracts me to toward the M108 (and I have read about the fan issue) is that it has 8 analogue & AES digital outputs. However, I am not sure what the converters sound like compared to those in my Apogee MKII symphony (which includes one new mastering grade 2 x 6 SE card).

I would be grateful for any suggestions/recommendations from those with experience using such mic pres. It is OK to suggest more MA2.2s.

I look forward to reading your replies.
I live in Australia and record lots of acoustic instruments, especially piano and violin. Ross Giles in Victoria makes a very clean and simple valve pre could the VM1. Its lovely. Its affordable and extremely well built ......very clean valve sound ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Depends on your budget really. Hardy if you have a good budget and you really do want clean, DAV if you are more constrained and you are good with very lightly coloured.

(FWIW, to my mind super clean and larger than life probably get you to different places.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You could also take a API-500 frame with 4 or 8 slots and fill them with modules you like.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I'd heard David Gilmour bought a bunch of DAV channels somewhere, so not too shabby!..... Another road not taken for me.....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i'd get a used yamaha ad8hr - and then compare it with any über-pre of choice/budget/on loan: not sure you'll hear a difference under any condition...

i'm not saying it's the 'best/most clean' mic pre/converter out there but it is still pretty good, especially for the price it can be found these days (and it can get remotely controlled, at least with some yamaha gear).

p.s. when you do compare pres, make sure it's a fair comparison, meaning you are feeding the mic pres off an active splitter or tape a pair of identical mics together and feed to different preamps!

p.p.s. i did compare a bunch of pres; ended up with studer, grace, focusrite, amek/neve, cranesong and above mentioned yamaha pres.
I managed to pick up a used 8 channel Yamaha ADHR for $175 NZ (around $115 USD), which just arrived 15 minutes ago. I unpacked it and it powers up. I think these sold new for around £2,145.00. It will be interesting to compare this with the preamps I get, including the preamps I already own. The disadvantage with the ADHR is that it does not have any analogue outputs (only AES/EBU outputs) and uses the converters inside the unit.

I am narrowing the list down (as I can't decide on getting 4/8 channels of anything particular micpre) and considering 2 channels of the following preamps: NPNG, DAV, Hardy, Pueblo or Gordon.

Last edited by waldie wave; 2 weeks ago at 08:33 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search