The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New monitors after selling my K&h o300 Studio Monitors
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Maniac

New monitors after selling my K&h o300

Just sold my K&h o300. It's been a difficult decission since they were the first gear I bought when I started making music. After 8 years using them, and trying to convince myself week after week they were awesome speakers, I've finally ended accepting what I didn't want to accept: "they are crap" (at least, for me). After 8 years mixing on them, I was never able to be confident on what I was doing. Before selling them I got a couple of Focal Trio 6 for demo, and had the chance to make an a/b test. After listening to them I understood why it was so hard to be confident on the o300. I heard NOTHING compared to the Focals. They had a really weird frequency representation, really weird and scooped mids with harsh highs. Need to say the focals sound very nice. Amazing stereo and transient representation, really nice frequency balance. I really love them. The only thing I'm missing from them is a more solid punch. They sound nice in low range but they seem a little bit flabby with kicks. I miss the punch monitors like the Adam S3H perform. The problem with this ones is they are too overwhelming for me. I want to find some near field monitors that can be able to perform a nice punch and give me a good mid information like focals do. I do heavy bass oriented pop music so I need that muscle in lows. I have things like Psi a17-M and 21-m, Unity the rocks or something from Quested in mind. (BTW, I could take the subwoofer path if it was needed).

Could you guys give me some feedback on what to go next?

Thanks for your time.
Old 13th April 2019
have to say that i think it may be a room issue. i have the kh120s and they are GREAT speakers. The 300s might not be your cup of tea but if they totally stink there may be other issues you need to address.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Maniac

They've been placed in 5 different studios during these 8 years. The sound was very similar in all of them. Thanks for your answer.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_manu View Post
They've been placed in 5 different studios during these 8 years. The sound was very similar in all of them. Thanks for your answer.
That says essentially nothing !

5 different "train wrecks" doesn't amount to a hill a beans.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Nut

While I haven’t tried every monitor out there the Focal shape series had some ridiculous punch in my studio. I ended up sticking with Barefoot MM27s in my room since they measured the flattest and translation seemed best on them. But I used the Focal Shape 65 for a little over a year and they were incredible! We built a second control room which is where the Focals are now, so it’s not like we got rid of them because we didn’t like them. I have a friend who has the Focal shape Twins and he really likes those as well.
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
That says essentially nothing !

5 different "train wrecks" doesn't amount to a hill a beans.
Why you guys asume the rooms I've worked at are bad rooms? I know when I have room issues and those were not the case. If o300 is nice for you, guys, then it is perfect Would be really thankful if you could help me choosing monitors.
Old 14th April 2019
Do you still own the Focals and are looking for an alternative flavor for A/B’ing during a mix? If you don’t own the Focals they are a viable solution as people who tend to not like the more naturalistic approach of the KH like Focal as they definitely approach the highs differently. The SM9 is being discontinued and is almost $2k usd off the price they have been for years. Other than that maybe some ATC might be just right although I suspect you will need subs in a nearfield smaller driver situation if doing music with a lot of lower octave info.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi Nathan, thanks for your answer

I'm not gonna keep the focal. For a/b I own a pair of NS10 and auratone, and use the earpods a lot. I want to find a monitor that gives me what Im looking for.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musaee View Post
have to say that i think it may be a room issue. i have the kh120s and they are GREAT speakers. The 300s might not be your cup of tea but if they totally stink there may be other issues you need to address.
I have a similar opinion of o300s. Very pleasant sounding but scooped mids, lack of detail, unclear transients, smeared stereo etc. Didn’t regret selling them at all. I moved to Focal SM9s but if I was looking now I’d also consider Genelec 8351, PSI, ATC, Dutch & Dutch etc. Didn’t think much of Unity or Quested when I tried them.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

I went through this about a year ago- I looked at Neumann 0310, PMC Two Two 8's, Focal Trio BE & SM9, ATC SCM25a, Kii Three, PSI A25m, ME Geithain RL944, Genelec 8351.

I ended up with the Kii Three as they just sounded the best to me in my room and I haven't regretted that decision.
I have been working with them alone but am considering a second set, probably ATC's because they the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of technology.

If I was doing it again now I'd look at all the above monitors and the D&D 8c's and perhaps some Barefoots (although I don't have easy access to the latter right now).

Have you considered the new Focal Trio 11's?
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
probably ATC's because they the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of technology.
Which end is that?
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Which end is that?
Kii Three are a modern DSP speaker, with digital IO and different modes for exact phase/minimal latency etc.

The ATC's (I'm looking at SCM45a's) are more old school class A, no DSP, analog input only.

They compliment one another quite well, I think.
Old 14th April 2019
Hedd might be worth a listen...the type 20 seems to get a lot of good reviews
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kii Three are a modern DSP speaker, with digital IO and different modes for exact phase/minimal latency etc.

The ATC's (I'm looking at SCM45a's) are more old school class A, no DSP, analog input only.
I agree whith what you're saying, but modern(or digitalized in this case) doesn't equal higher in terms of "technology", in case you were thinking this way.

Quote:
They compliment one another quite well, I think.
I've heard similar reports as well, always nice to have different perspectives.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
I agree whith what you're saying, but modern(or digitalized in this case) doesn't equal higher in terms of "technology", in case you were thinking this way.
I wasn't- just that they way they each work is in a manner that is quite different to the other.

I don't think of one as inherently better- just a different approach, much in the same way as I mix with a lot of outboard but still use a lot of plugins.

I just like having options.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wasn't- just that they way they each work is in a manner that is quite different to the other.

I don't think of one as inherently better- just a different approach, much in the same way as I mix with a lot of outboard but still use a lot of plugins.

I just like having options.
I share your point of view completely.
Old 14th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Put Geithain and Amphion on your list.
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Class A/B
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Class A/B
Ah yes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___GLM___ View Post
Put Geithain and Amphion on your list.
And Strauss NF-3
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I love the 0300's comment about being "crap" nothing wrong with extremes sometimes.

So I have a pair of 0300's in my room, I have spent as much again as the 0300's cost on professional room treatment and I must say the translation of the 0300's has been excellent - something Mastering engineers have commented on often.

But they are so ruler flat that some people interpret that as boring - for me it just means the excitement has to come from the music not the speakers but everyone has a different approach.

If I was the OP and I wanted to move up from the 0300's then for me it would be to a pair of SCM20ASL Pro which I think are pretty stunning monitors and would be a something very different to the 0300's, if I was upgrading my 0300's I'd been getting the ATC 20's.

The Genelec 8351's are also fantastic - once you're into the £5K + territory it comes down to taste as they're all amazing tools.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Check out Barefoot and HEDD, the new improved Adam. Focal is way too variant with poor quality control. APS Klasik could be good if you keep them under reference levels or use a subwoofer. They have the metal tweeter you like too.
Old 4 weeks ago
I like them for everyday easy on the ear monitors but if I want to concentrate on the punch of the low end I switch to Amphion One15 as I know what you mean about "flabby". The low mid just slugs rather than jabs. I spend 90% of my time on Amphions at low levels even disregarding my PMC IB2i monitors to a large extent.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search