The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Custom IEM decisions 2019
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Nut

Custom IEM decisions 2019

I did a search and there is not much info on custom molded In ear Monitor comparisons since almost 10 years ago.

I’m looking between a few different brands right now. I use to have some Alien Ears Triple drivers back when I was on tour but can’t seem to find them now and would like another pair of in ears.
As a Mixing engineer I’d love to use them occasionally for reference, but will mostly just be used to enjoy music as I’m pretty set with my Barefoot MM27s in the control room and don’t plan to ever actually MIX on in ears.

I’ve been looking a little at the Sensaphonics just because my wife and I are about to have our first baby and I like watching movies or listening to music a little bit before bed and the ambient option on them would be nice in case I need to hear the baby at night. But I’ve heard some mixed reviews about build quality with them.

Has anyone tried any of the follow or some similar and would like to give some input:

Sensaphonics 3D AARO
Ultimate Ears Reference (or another model)
64 Audio
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Nut

After more research I’m mostly deciding between:

Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered
Or
Ultimate Ears 18+

Curious if anyone has ever heard both (which I’m sure is rare) or at least have one of them that they can give some idea of their strengths or weaknesses.
Old 12th April 2019
I have the RRs but haven't heard the 18+. The RRs sound very neutral/relatively flat to my ears; more than any other headphone or IEM I've heard. They are supposed to be their best IEM for mixing. But, you still have to learn them, IMO, and they're not as "fun" as a really good set of monitors. To my ears, they are more neutral and flatter than:

ER4S
JH13
JH16
Spirit Pro
LCD-X
HD800
HD600
HD650
DT880
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
I have the RRs but haven't heard the 18+. The RRs sound very neutral/relatively flat to my ears; more than any other headphone or IEM I've heard. They are supposed to be their best IEM for mixing. But, you still have to learn them, IMO, and they're not as "fun" as a really good set of monitors. To my ears, they are more neutral and flatter than:

ER4S
JH13
JH16
Spirit Pro
LCD-X
HD800
HD600
HD650
DT880
Thanks! That’s good to know! Even though I probably won’t mix on them I do prefer the flat speakers most of the time. Personally I like to try and hear everything the way it was mixed without anything affecting the sound, or at least as much as possible.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Head

I went on this quest myself last year investing in JH11s, Futursonics MG6 HXs, and UE Refs. Between these three I prefer the UEs which - to me - sound the most natural and musical.

I decided I should purchase a spare proprietary cable for the UE Refs but when I found it cost $200 I decided to spend a bit more and ordered a pair of UE-5s (two-way) with the same cable. I think these sound pretty great too, and now I have a backup to my backup.

In my opinion the multi-driver thing has gotten out of hand as they seem to be pursuing extended highs, extended lows, and higher volume levels, all at the expense of a flat frequency response. So I was happy that UE - now owned by Logitech - is still making this "reference" model.

One nice bit of tech is that ear-impressions can now be 3D scanned and emailed to most of these manufacturers who (I presume) are 3D printing the shells.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search