The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Horch V.S. BSA Condenser Microphones
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Horch V.S. BSA

Has anyone here compared the new line of BSA mics (either the 4x or the 49B) with the Horch RM2J? There must be some users here in EU, since they’re serious contenders in the multipattern 47/49 flavour...
Old 10th April 2019
I only have the older Swiss BS mics and 2 of the Horch. That generation the Horch were better but the BS were still nice. The new ones look great. I wanted to try the 251 style but opted for Bocks.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I can’t find much about the new BSA’s. They are supposed to be all new designs.
I hope some users could chime in here...?
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

All of the original “BSA” mics were assembled and designed by tab funkenwerk/AMI.

“BSA” just made the body tubes and head grill.
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
All of the original “BSA” mics were assembled and designed by tab funkenwerk/AMI.

“BSA” just made the body tubes and head grill.
I really don't know the exact history of the UM17R and the UM49B, but I don't see why it should be a negative thing, if the design developed from the TAB/Blackspade UM17R. Oliver was a master at pairing capsules with transformers and tubes.
The current UM49B uses a Haufe transformer and a 5703 tube, as opposed to a TAB transformer and a 5840. And now, everything is assembled in Switzerland, so while it may more or less derive from Oliver's design, it has to be a different microphone, assembled and made by different hands.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMike View Post
I really don't know the exact history of the UM17R and the UM49B, but I don't see why it should be a negative thing, if the design developed from the TAB/Blackspade UM17R. Oliver was a master at pairing capsules with transformers and tubes.
The current UM49B uses a Haufe transformer and a 5703 tube, as opposed to a TAB transformer and a 5840. And now, everything is assembled in Switzerland, so while it may more or less derive from Oliver's design, it has to be a different microphone, assembled and made by different hands.
I wasn’t saying it as a negative thing! Just to describe some particulars. I have three of the UM17 mics.

And the new mics may be fine in their own right.
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
I wasn’t saying it as a negative thing! Just to describe some particulars. I have three of the UM17 mics.

And the new mics may be fine in their own right.
Which is why Microphone Manufacturers love you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Which is why Microphone Manufacturers love you.
I don’t understand.

Now in some other post, you’re writing that you’re thinking about ordering mics from BSA?

So am I wrong to have some of them? Or have I now inspired you? I use them mainly on guitars in full band tracking, but they are great on many things in a pinch.

In any event, the guts of the original BSA mics were fully from AMI. BSA manufactured the body tubes, grills and bottom bells, then sent them to AMI where the mics were made. Not to say whatever they do now isn’t fine, don’t know. In final years, all of those mics were relabeled as Tab-Funkenwerk and done without BSA involvement.

BSA’s clean room was lacking as far as the paint jobs they were doing on the body tubes. Some kind of embedded with dust in the paint. Maybe they have worked that out.

BUT I will say that if you’re truly going for an M49, it doesn’t make much sense to use a headbasket like that. The idea of those mics was to use the M49 external polar pattern design along with Oliver’s idea about how to get a submini to work with the U47 output transformer in the context of the U47 circuit, to ultimately have a U47 sounding mic. It was based on what he called his “U47 alternative circuit”, which was also the base idea of some of his other mics.

Last edited by toledo3; 2 weeks ago at 01:46 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I don’t understand.

Now in some other post, you’re writing that you’re thinking about ordering mics from BSA?

So am I wrong to have some of them? Or have I now inspired you? I use them mainly on guitars in full band tracking, but they are great on many things in a pinch.

In any event, the guts of the original BSA mics were fully from AMI. BSA manufactured the body tubes, grills and bottom bells, then sent them to AMI where the mics were made. Not to say whatever they do now isn’t fine, don’t know. In final years, all of those mics were relabeled as Tab-Funkenwerk and done without BSA involvement.
I already have mics from BSA you dunce. Have done for a few years. Don't forget Europe is practically the home of the condenser microphone and there are many experts per capita. America is adept at stealing European brands and cloning them, so it would make sense they got relabelled with a Euro friendly name.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I already have mics from BSA you dunce. Have done for a few years. Don't forget Europe is practically the home of the condenser microphone and there are many experts per capita. America is adept at stealing European brands and cloning them, so it would make sense they got relabelled with a Euro friendly name.
Dunce? Very nice.

You have failed to understand what you just read.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Dunce? Very nice.

You have failed to understand what you just read.
That's mild compared to you spitting out your dummy a few days ago.

I didn't fail to understand what I read. Stop trolling me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Paul, you started trolling me around here in some thread because I had some opinion on gear that you didn’t agree with. So weird! That happens man, simmer down. If someone doesn’t like something the same way you do, or says something you don’t agree with or maybe understand, it doesn’t mean it’s a personal knock.
Old 2 weeks ago
You don't have any gear. Your opinions are plagiarised from other more experienced people. I can't remember anything original you've contributed so I don't see how I can take it personally. You scoured the internet for bad press & info about me. I don't even know who you are. That's about as trolly as I have ever encountered. The sad thing is, this isn't even funny.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You don't have any gear. Your opinions are plagiarised from other more experienced people. I can't remember anything original you've contributed so I don't see how I can take it personally. You scoured the internet for bad press & info about me. I don't even know who you are. That's about as trolly as I have ever encountered. The sad thing is, this isn't even funny.
Anyone who knows me knows that this is delusional. Wow.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search