The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First experience with new RME M32 AD pro Audio Interfaces
Old 10th April 2019
First experience with new RME M32 AD pro

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share my experiences with our new AD converter from RME after one of our Prisms died.
RME labels them as high end and indeed they sound fantastic (even compared to to the Prisms). What more surprised me was the fact how easy and flawless AVB an MADI worked simultaneously. Just a cheap cat 5 cable into the thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter on a MacBook anf voila 32 channels of pristine quality without drivers and hazzle. As a backup I hooked up the small and beautiful MADIface Pro to an iPad and wired a MADI cable from the RME M32 AD pro to the MADIface Pro and again without drivers and hazzle I could record 24 channels of 96 kHz in super quality simultaneously as fall back on a iPad. This was a really nice surprise in a stressful large orchestra production.
Maybe worth to mention: The RME worked perfectly with the preamps (16 channels DAV, 10 channels Millennia HV and 4 channels of Forssell).
Big thumps up!
Marcus
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

It’s so nice when stuff just works!
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
It’s so nice when stuff just works!
exactly, I've been slowly replacing things with rme equipment and it just works. Also the cost seems at first a bit high, but after I start using all the functionality that I "accidentally" got ... it's turning out super cost effective.
Old 10th April 2019
To be honest: I don't think it was that expensive. I compared it with the other big boys (DAD and Emerging Horus) but also to the Lynx Aurora n. All of them are fantastic. The Horus and DAD 32 might be a better deal if you start from scratch (no existing preamps) But we had already some good preamps. I doubt that you get a better sound for 32 channels AD for about 4000 bucks. (We didn't need the 32 DA, which would make things a bit more expensive...)
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

besides my studer and euphonix converters, i've been using rme's older madi converters on a backup system: when occasionally comparing results, i've had more than a few musicians/conductors/producers preferreing sound going through the rme converters (and i'm taking a rme qsm to most places for monitoring) - no doubt the newer converters with added aoip functionality are very serious tools too!

p.s. innit funny we're talking about using different mics, pres, eqs, comps - we mix and match them all the time - but we rarely use several different converters (maybe except for the master/monitoring)?
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby06 View Post
Hi guys,

I just wanted to share my experiences with our new AD converter from RME after one of our Prisms died.
RME labels them as high end and indeed they sound fantastic (even compared to to the Prisms). What more surprised me was the fact how easy and flawless AVB an MADI worked simultaneously. Just a cheap cat 5 cable into the thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter on a MacBook anf voila 32 channels of pristine quality without drivers and hazzle. As a backup I hooked up the small and beautiful MADIface Pro to an iPad and wired a MADI cable from the RME M32 AD pro to the MADIface Pro and again without drivers and hazzle I could record 24 channels of 96 kHz in super quality simultaneously as fall back on a iPad. This was a really nice surprise in a stressful large orchestra production.
Maybe worth to mention: The RME worked perfectly with the preamps (16 channels DAV, 10 channels Millennia HV and 4 channels of Forssell).
Big thumps up!
Marcus
IMHO RME conversion (especially latest series - ADI-2 PRO and M32 are IMHO the best converters money can buy for a price that makes them far underpriced considering the quality and functionality. For 2ch AD-DA I'd take ADI-2 pro over any fancy boutique overpriced product and for multitrack when requiring highest standard I would choose M32 much before Apogee, Merging or any other. You've made a superb choice.
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
...just wanted to share my experiences ...
Marcus
Thanks for sharing your experience ruby06. I've had my eye on the new M32 for a while now and its great to see some user feedback on the unit.
Old 11th April 2019
Thanks.
I‘ve heard horror stories about avb. But with MacOS 10.14.3 and above it‘s just plug and play... and again: It sounds fantastic... still in love
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks.
I‘ve heard horror stories about avb. But with MacOS 10.14.3 and above it‘s just plug and play...
You may not have understood the "horror stories." AVB worked just fine on Macs. Then APPLE broke it for multiple macOS versions. Then Apple recently repaired it. The functionality of AVB on the Mac ethernet ports was completely Apple's fault.

And there is no guarantee it won't happen again. So you really can't say "..and above" unless you have a crystal ball. Many people (due to it being broken for so long) installed 3rd Party ethernet cards to restore AVB use that was free of Apple's meddling.
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
You may not have understood the "horror stories." AVB worked just fine on Macs. Then APPLE broke it for multiple macOS versions. Then Apple recently repaired it. The functionality of AVB on the Mac ethernet ports was completely Apple's fault.

And there is no guarantee it won't happen again. So you really can't say "..and above" unless you have a crystal ball. Many people (due to it being broken for so long) installed 3rd Party ethernet cards to restore AVB use that was free of Apple's meddling.
Yeah, same thing happened with Apple breaking USB for audio use - long discussion threads on audio interface manufacturer's support forums dealing with angry customers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search