The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Coil Audio
Old 1 week ago
Last full band session I did two M160’s on overheads into two CA70’s with NF all the way out. It was so fat and punchy without being harsh. I gotta start saving up for some 286’s so I can try that flavor now.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
What mixing EQ to complement Coil gear? Retro 2a3, Massive Passive (I hear highs are only ok), Hendyamps MA (currently have), non-Pulse Pultec Clone (Pulse too pricey)?

I'm over the moon with the tone shaping of the "NF mixed with bass boost/cut," kinda like the best tilt eq I never know existed. Thrilled with my 286, waitinf for my 70 to get here, and I kinda expect to end up with a stereo pair of each for various tracking/mixing duties. Selling off a bit of gear that the Coil replace.

My current eqs: Hendyamps MA, Kush Electra and Clariphonic MK 1 (former for precise yet tasty surgery, latter largely for restoring some air after lots of 'warming' gear), and some character eqs that are nice for tracking and bundled with preamps (Neve style on Stam 1073eq, and gyrator on Phoenix pre). Would have to sell one or more to try something else, budget.

Listening to the Hendyamps 'High' knob compared to the Coil NF/boost-cut, it seems a little harsh, and too much tube mojo makes things wooly, I tend to like 'hi-fi' tubes, perhaps something cleaner yet still hi-fi tube clarity/warmth to complement the Coil. Perhaps Retro?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’m wondering why purchasing the 6 space power supply enclosure along with 6 preamps works out $1000 more expensive than 6 of the standalone 2U preamps of the same model?
Usually, you’d expect to save money going with the enclosure, but this is the opposite. What is up with that?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
I’m wondering why purchasing the 6 space power supply enclosure along with 6 preamps works out $1000 more expensive than 6 of the standalone 2U preamps of the same model?
Usually, you’d expect to save money going with the enclosure, but this is the opposite. What is up with that?
If money was no option, I can see that the vertical units with 6 unit power supplies is more 'channel strip' like, has the high-freq roll-off controls, and you can swap transformers. Honestly, I think the rack units are newer, and they passed the savings along. But as Coil gear is already way above my pay grade, I'm going for multiple separate 2U rack units, even if they take up a bit more space, the sound and tone control the NF provides is definitely worth it.

Two minor things worth noting. I recently spoke to them about some technical stuff. They said the rack units have a specially designed power supply that has a slight warm-up stage ('slow ramping') built in (it takes like 30 sec?), so it doesn't need two stages. Also, they said the 2U racks are designed to not really need a rack space above and below for ventilation so long as its an open rack, even if it couldn't hurt either as a standard 'best practice', but not strictly needed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

M160s are super-interesting with Coil preamps, an engineer I greatly respect suspects impedance as the reason.

With the 160, try a high input impedance preamp IN FRONT OF the Coils, feeding Coils with input on Line and you will get a different sound altogether.

The 160 becomes much brighter and, for me, this broadening of the 160 palette means I use them for more sources, even vocals. The 160 has such a tight pattern with excellent rejection, it solves a lot of potential problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBeretta View Post
Last full band session I did two M160’s on overheads into two CA70’s with NF all the way out. It was so fat and punchy without being harsh. I gotta start saving up for some 286’s so I can try that flavor now.

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 1 week ago at 06:09 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
What mixing EQ to complement Coil gear? Retro 2a3, Massive Passive (I hear highs are only ok), Hendyamps MA (currently have), non-Pulse Pultec Clone (Pulse too pricey)?

I'm over the moon with the tone shaping of the "NF mixed with bass boost/cut," kinda like the best tilt eq I never know existed. Thrilled with my 286, waitinf for my 70 to get here, and I kinda expect to end up with a stereo pair of each for various tracking/mixing duties. Selling off a bit of gear that the Coil replace.

My current eqs: Hendyamps MA, Kush Electra and Clariphonic MK 1 (former for precise yet tasty surgery, latter largely for restoring some air after lots of 'warming' gear), and some character eqs that are nice for tracking and bundled with preamps (Neve style on Stam 1073eq, and gyrator on Phoenix pre). Would have to sell one or more to try something else, budget.

Listening to the Hendyamps 'High' knob compared to the Coil NF/boost-cut, it seems a little harsh, and too much tube mojo makes things wooly, I tend to like 'hi-fi' tubes, perhaps something cleaner yet still hi-fi tube clarity/warmth to complement the Coil. Perhaps Retro?
I’ve been contemplating getting a Thermionic Pullet and using my CA70’s for makeup gain. The NF feature would just add the tone shaping options.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
M160s are super-interesting with Coil preamps, an engineer I greatly respect suspects impedance as the reason.

Try a high input impedance preamp IN FRONT OF the Coils, feeding Coils with input on Line and you will get a different sound altogether.

The 160 becomes much brighter and, for me, this broadening of the 160 pallette means I use them for more sources, even vocals. The 160 has such a tight pattern with excellent rejection, it solves a lot of potential problems.
I might have to pick up one of those Cloud variable impedance boxes and play with that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Don’t listen to people’s settings just get a level and start turning the knobs and get your own damn sound.
You might have missed that significant part of the story, but...that's what I did.

Quote:
The point is, if you have both you will use both.
Highly doubtful.

I'm only recording myself and one of those preamps is likely to be better than the other for my voice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just an update on my Coil mixup:

Zen Pro Audio had nothing to do with the mixup...and I have been contacted by both Warren at ZPA and Steve at Coil, excellent customer service all around by both parties. Only great things to say about them both.

And that CA-70 just continues to impress me so much that I'm afraid to swap it.

Hat's off to Coil Audio for making an excellent product at a very fair price and standing behind their customers with great customer service.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Another update: I have noticed that the CA-70 changes noticeably after about an hour of warming up, and the cumulative effect of burning in over the half dozen times I've used it so far have it opening up and sounding even bigger and somewhat more balanced. I used it today and found myself dialing back the NF knob it had opened up so much.

The short story is that it sounded awesome right out of the box, and the more I use it the better it sounds.

It's probably improved more for having some time to burn in than any other piece I've ever owned.
Old 4 days ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

were the stereo rack versions of the preamps ended ? i seem to remember stereo rack versions.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I’d be interested in a stereo rack version too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
were the stereo rack versions of the preamps ended ? i seem to remember stereo rack versions.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Don’t think they make those anymore
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Don’t think they make those anymore
No they don't. They make either in a single channel or a choice of 6.
I have the old Stereo and the 6. It's great together having 8.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

me Too
Old stereo with one each and the 6pack loaded with two pairs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search