The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Coil Audio Channel Strip Plugins
Old 17th April 2019
  #31
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
The great thing about the new Fet TG self powered Chandler mic is that Coil's will work immediately!
A local engineer brought his TG over to my humble studio for an afternoon of singing and playing a few weeks ago. We ran it through the Metric Halo ULN8 pres, but at the end of the session, I put up a full band song I was working on and we did brief vocal passes with the ULN8 and the CA-70 on all the system A settings, then a complete pass at the setting we thought sounded best - 4 clicks from the left while facing the knob. While the ULN pres are certainly usable on any source, the Coil was outstanding. A little HPF from a 5033 and a touch of the STA and you could put your hand around that sound and say .

Interesting mic, a few to many options for my rodent brain, but it did sound good.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #32
Lives for gear
 
spectacular g's Avatar
 

After reading what i could find and watching the videos available, I am very interested in these. A question for you all that use them.

Come mix time, how much less EQ and or compression do you find you need when using these considering the tone shaping built in to the design?

Thanks

G
Old 4 weeks ago
  #33
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post
After reading what i could find and watching the videos available, I am very interested in these. A question for you all that use them.

Come mix time, how much less EQ and or compression do you find you need when using these considering the tone shaping built in to the design?

Thanks

G
The eq tone shaping is fairly subtle.
The negative feedback is more obvious
Super helpful on brighter sources
Old 4 weeks ago
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post
After reading what i could find and watching the videos available, I am very interested in these. A question for you all that use them.

Come mix time, how much less EQ and or compression do you find you need when using these considering the tone shaping built in to the design?

Thanks

G
I'm relatively new to the wonders of Coil.

I like mixes larger than life and slightly retro.
It's a twisted balance I carry from my hip hop influences.
The Coil's fit the bill perfectly to help create those sounds.
Fat acoustic drums - done, the kicks are an octave lower and the snares are twice as fat.
Thicker mix easy vocals - done.
Guitars with a nasty, glassy top rolled off - done. Remove it.

Mix time I find easier with the Coil tracks. They have a timeless vibe that competes in todays market place but can also be used easily to pay tribute to the past.

They're also really refreshing after years of Neve, Api or " it's a cross between Neve and Api"

P.S. To answer your question, yes it is easier as the sounds are better, compression can easily spoil them. I'd rather use the pre to saturate and even. As RB says the negative f/back tone controls make lovely effects and processors in their own right.

Last edited by Paul_G; 4 weeks ago at 09:27 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #35
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
I'm pretty sure the coils are fantastic sounding.. They do so in the samples and the videos.. Love the heart these guys are putting into their products!

But it baffles me that they don't have phantom power on board..

I mean, it's 2019, how hard it is for a high end gear manufacturer to include 48v in their preamps? ::

I understand than in the 40ies when they designed these there wasn't the need for it, but today for 1700$ per channel.. hell if I don't want to buy an external phantom power supply..

please Paul or Roundbadge, school me..let me know if I'm missing something..

thanks



Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
  #36
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Less crap in the path
Their dedicated 48v supply is great
Old 4 weeks ago
  #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I'm pretty sure the coils are fantastic sounding.. They do so in the samples and the videos.. Love the heart these guys are putting into their products!

But it baffles me that they don't have phantom power on board..

I mean, it's 2019, how hard it is for a high end gear manufacturer to include 48v in their preamps? ::

I understand than in the 40ies when they designed these there wasn't the need for it, but today for 1700$ per channel.. hell if I don't want to buy an external phantom power supply..

please Paul or Roundbadge, school me..let me know if I'm missing something..

thanks



Cheu
There's very few circumstances where I need phantom power apart from active ribbons or Cloudlifters and I'm talking a couple of mics. I would like it for convenience but if as a general rule it sounds better without then so be it.

Wade at Chandler is the same. He won't trust his new mic with any old 48v. These guys obviously design these things this way for a reason.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #38
Lives for gear
 
spectacular g's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I'm relatively new to the wonders of Coil.

I like mixes larger than life and slightly retro.
It's a twisted balance I carry from my hip hop influences.
The Coil's fit the bill perfectly to help create those sounds.
Fat acoustic drums - done, the kicks are an octave lower and the snares are twice as fat.
Thicker mix easy vocals - done.
Guitars with a nasty, glassy top rolled off - done. Remove it.

Mix time I find easier with the Coil tracks. They have a timeless vibe that competes in todays market place but can also be used easily to pay tribute to the past.

They're also really refreshing after years of Neve, Api or " it's a cross between Neve and Api"

P.S. To answer your question, yes it is easier as the sounds are better, compression can easily spoil them. I'd rather use the pre to saturate and even. As RB says the negative f/back tone controls make lovely effects and processors in their own right.
Thanks for taking the time

I really need to get some here to do a proper evaluation, as it's only way to know for sure.

Have a great day!!!


G
Old 4 weeks ago
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post
Thanks for taking the time

I really need to get some here to do a proper evaluation, as it's only way to know for sure.

Have a great day!!!


G
Yes with these things that's a good idea. I may be deluded but I do feel they are great value and some of the best mic pre's on the market.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #40
Gear Addict
 
D.F.'s Avatar
 

Fukk... I need to check this coil shizzle out. ;-)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #41
Here for the gear
 
coilaudio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I'm pretty sure the coils are fantastic sounding.. They do so in the samples and the videos.. Love the heart these guys are putting into their products!

But it baffles me that they don't have phantom power on board..

I mean, it's 2019, how hard it is for a high end gear manufacturer to include 48v in their preamps? ::

I understand than in the 40ies when they designed these there wasn't the need for it, but today for 1700$ per channel.. hell if I don't want to buy an external phantom power supply..

please Paul or Roundbadge, school me..let me know if I'm missing something..

thanks



Cheu
Hi Cheu,

There was a bit of reasoning behind not including 48v. To properly implement phantom when using direct to grid/un-gapped input transformers, you have to put blocking caps in the signal path to keep DC voltage off the input transformer. Original Neumann 48v supplies used gapped transformers for blocking. A lot of vintage telefunken transformers we're ruined by techs racking with phantom, and not taking this into consideration. Unless you do very complex switching, these caps, and the feed resistors, will live in the signal path even when not using phantom, which we wanted to avoid.

For our preamp power supplies, we use very high voltage, 250-300v, so it's tricky to derive regulated 48v from this. It would preferably be a totally separate transformer and regulator, and would be both cost and space prohibitive. Thus the separate power supply for those that require it.

In general, it's better to have the 48v close to the mic, not spraying all over your patchbay, or coming through a ton of cable. When it comes direct from an external pre, through a bunch of cable and a patchbay, you open yourself up to serious issues. In every hi end studio I worked in since the early 90's, Phantom did not live anywhere near the patchbay. They were usually a large linear regulated supply that lived on the mic snake, or separate supplies in floor boxes. United Western had a special switching row on their bays to enable phantom on individual channels, and keep the caps and resistors out of the signal path when not using phantom.

For most manufacturers, phantom is an afterthought. Little switch mode supply with voltage doublers, or an unregulated tap off the mains supply. Just enough to make the mic work. With 500 series, most guys just strap a voltage multiplier off the 15v. Over all not a good situation if you care about dynamics and headroom. When loud signals hit the mic, it pulls more current, the power sags, and you get poopy distortion. I think a lot of people assume it's the mics headroom crapping out, when really it's the supply that cant keep up.

Any who, hope that all makes sense...
JimV
Coil Audio
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
acupunk / High End
88
StevenLMorgan / Gear Shoot-Outs / Sound File Comparisons / Audio Tests
15
markustg / So Many Guitars, So Little Time
12
Doc Mixwell / High End
26
crypticglobe / So Much Gear, So Little Time
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump