The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC SCM20ASL Pro mk2 VS. SCM25A Pro. Users, Thoughts?
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Maniac

ATC SCM20ASL Pro mk2 VS. SCM25A Pro. Users, Thoughts?

I am currently using the Focal Solo 6 Be and about to take the ATC plunge. My sales rep. mentioned that he auditioned both of the STC models and recommended the SCM25A model. I was just curious if anyone out there has used both models and what your thoughts were. I know the 20ASL has the new tweeter and the 25A does not. Wondering if it's worth saving up the extra funds to go with the 25A, or if the 20ASL is the way to go? I have a space that's around 500 sq ft. that is not professionally treated. Just curious about your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyocity View Post
I am currently using the Focal Solo 6 Be and about to take the ATC plunge. My sales rep. mentioned that he auditioned both of the STC models and recommended the SCM25A model. I was just curious if anyone out there has used both models and what your thoughts were. I know the 20ASL has the new tweeter and the 25A does not. Wondering if it's worth saving up the extra funds to go with the 25A, or if the 20ASL is the way to go? I have a space that's around 500 sq ft. that is not professionally treated. Just curious about your thoughts. Thanks!
What do you do? For mixing the 20s are it. The 25s are better suited for artists. Also, your space is fairly large, so the 50s might be a better option if you can afford them. But again, depends on what you do and what you need.

,Andrei
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Addict

Haven't used the 25s in a mix situation.

The 20s and the 50s are incredibly close (in a good way). Bonus towards the 50s being deeper bass, more headroom and slightly more natural mids.
That said, I personally couldn't fathom a better mix speaker than the scm20. I sold mine to get the 50s. I love the 50s but they really give you EVERYTHING whereas the 20s give you EVERYTHING (that you need to know to pull a good clean mix quickly)
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
What do you do? For mixing the 20s are it. The 25s are better suited for artists. Also, your space is fairly large, so the 50s might be a better option if you can afford them. But again, depends on what you do and what you need.

,Andrei
Thanks for the reply! I am an artist and I produce, but I also want a speaker that I can try to mix in house on. I basically want the most accurate of the two models, the model that will point out the most flaws in an obvious way. Pleasing to the ear is less of a concern to me, I am more going for accuracy in representation. The Focals just haven't been cutting it for me.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
Haven't used the 25s in a mix situation.

The 20s and the 50s are incredibly close (in a good way). Bonus towards the 50s being deeper bass, more headroom and slightly more natural mids.
That said, I personally couldn't fathom a better mix speaker than the scm20. I sold mine to get the 50s. I love the 50s but they really give you EVERYTHING whereas the 20s give you EVERYTHING (that you need to know to pull a good clean mix quickly)
Awesome! Thanks so much that's very helpful. I am more looking for accuracy over anything else. So you think the 20's would be a good way to go then?
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks so much that's very helpful. I am more looking for accuracy over anything else. So you think the 20's would be a good way to go then?
I doubt any atc from the 20s upwards will be difficult to pull a mix on. I would suggest that you do your best to hear the various models and pick the one which is the most fun to produce on.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I went from the Solo6 to the ATC scm25 several years ago.. I never looked back.

the scm25 it's a much better loudspeaker, but it's also a 3 way and at a completely different price point, so it's not a fair comparison.

I'd strongly suggest to treat your space the best you could, that would have a HUGE impact on your mixes and how ANY loudspeaker behave in that space, big or small.

that said the scm25 also offer more lowend information than the Solo6..
it's not only a better mixing loudspeaker, it's also more "fullrange" than a solo6 (but again, as said before, this is not a fair comparison).

Don't worry too much about the tweeter, they are really good as they are and are anyway a big step Forward to what you have now.

between the 20 and the 25 I'd go with the 25, although I know several people like how the 20 behaves better.. it's more a matter of taste and Needs at this point.

if you produce as well you might need a sub on the 20, on the 25 is not really needed ime.

if you can't pull a great mix out of any atc, then the problem is not the loudspeaker..

Dunno if this helps.. but I hope so..

Cheu
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I went from the Solo6 to the ATC scm25 several years ago.. I never looked back.

the scm25 it's a much better loudspeaker, but it's also a 3 way and at a completely different price point, so it's not a fair comparison.

I'd strongly suggest to treat your space the best you could, that would have a HUGE impact on your mixes and how ANY loudspeaker behave in that space, big or small.

that said the scm25 also offer more lowend information than the Solo6..
it's not only a better mixing loudspeaker, it's also more "fullrange" than a solo6 (but again, as said before, this is not a fair comparison).

Don't worry too much about the tweeter, they are really good as they are and are anyway a big step Forward to what you have now.

between the 20 and the 25 I'd go with the 25, although I know several people like how the 20 behaves better.. it's more a matter of taste and Needs at this point.

if you produce as well you might need a sub on the 20, on the 25 is not really needed ime.

if you can't pull a great mix out of any atc, then the problem is not the loudspeaker..

Dunno if this helps.. but I hope so..

Cheu
Thanks Cheu! That's actually very helpful especially since you went from what I have now (Solo 6) to the 25's. Thanks so much for your input, I have no doubt it would be a big step up!
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Cheu is spot on, he convinced me into ATC a few years ago as well, and I'm grateful for that. I couldn't afford a new pair of 20s, I was considering the Amphion 15 back then, but Cheu suggested the used market, and luckily I found a nice pair of 20s in excellent condition from a studio in Gloucestershire, went with it, and very very happy that I did. Of course, you can't go wrong with ATC, you do get what you pay for, expect the best.

My only concern is that your room might be a bit too large for the 20s or the 25s, so might not fill the room like the 50s would should you wish to turn up the volume to have some fun, so do expect this. It's the only downside I can think of. The 20s are not very room dependent must say from my experience, and if you treated it fairly decent, since it's already quite large, I wouldn't expect any nasty surprise. Have fun with your ATCs, which ever model you'll decide on!
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
The 20s are not very room dependent must say from my experience
You, me and almost everyone who's used them in different situations That consistency between environments, and the consistency with the rest of the range vibe-wise* makes them the most versatile nearfields Ive encountered.

Not cheap though! You did well to score some used - ATC have sold loads over the years but the owners seem reluctant to give them up until they are shagged.

* thinking about it, lack of vibe would be more accurate for ATCs
Old 16th April 2019
Here for the gear

I was in the same situation and went from solo 6 to SCM25As. Best decision I've made so far, I love every second of working on them!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvs View Post
I was in the same situation and went from solo 6 to SCM25As. Best decision I've made so far, I love every second of working on them!
Awesome! Thanks so much for the feedback. I think that is what i'm going to do as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search