The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
To Console or Not to Console...
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Addict

Some people down Mci consoles, I own an mci that was used on 15 gold and platinum records. As well as a bunch of other big radio played songs.

I had a guy on GS say that the Opamps in my console chew up the audio and the specs are horrible. Yet the music made and mixed on my Mci Console has proven itself a great tool to use through 4 decades of extremely Rich Rock n Roll History.

If You listened to a rock radio station in the last 40 years you’ve heard my 428 console.

Ok, so now I'm curious - what songs?
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Don't even THINK about it!

If your heart sees a desk and starts fluttering, then DEFINITELY get one.

THAT is the stuff that matters,

You are going to make your best music when you FEEL the best when you are ENJOYING making it, the sound is secondary to this. If you are having fun, you'll find a way to make it sound good.

If you are pecking away on your comp just trying to "Git er' dun" then it's probably going to suck.

ALWAYS go where your woody points.
End of thread.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I'm easy to hit, not fashionable, against the current grain and still sticking to what works here.

Plus I use my real name. That takes balls around here.
Yeah baby! Love you Jim...

You were one of my favorite customers when I worked in a music store, and you are right, music goes in circles, and every time it comes around it's "bent" a little.

It was really cool having a professional staff writer like you talk to me.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I'm easy to hit, not fashionable, against the current grain and still sticking to what works here.

Plus I use my real name. That takes balls around here.
Isn’t that silly? I always have used my real name.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Isn’t that silly? I always have used my real name.
The first few times I was on here it seemed that everyone was NOT using their real name, so I didn't...
Added mine later..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I have not used a digital console, but my 96 i/o HDX system with full TT bays has substantially better routing options than my analog desk. Faster, more recallable, and reliable.
96 io ? With what a nasa super computer?
Slow tools really doesn't do huge io well
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxplayerz View Post
96 io ? With what a nasa super computer?
Slow tools really doesn't do huge io well
With a Mid 2010 Cheese Grater that's been upgraded to 2 X 3.46GHz 6 core.

Pro Tools HDX does massive i/o brilliantly. I'll probably end up with 128 i/o within the next few years. Handles it without as much as a hiccup.

Fast tools!!!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamberth View Post
Ok, so now I'm curious - what songs?
Beach Boys Kokomo
Fiona Apple
Tonic
Incubus
Beastie Boys
Gorge Clinton
Stanley Clark
Hoobastank
Macy Grey
Spinal Tap
La Guns
Muse
No doubt

There’s more, that’s just some from the list. My console came from 4th Street Recording a small studio in Santa Monica Ca, I communicated with the owner via email and she said they did a over a dozen gold & platinum records on this board.

What does all this mean?

NOTHING!
besides they worked with great bands and had good Engineers the Mci 428 Console was just one of the tools they used among many to get the job done.
Old 3 days ago
Here I can't get the open sonics and 3d mixing via the computer mixer vs the analog console. I have tried. A few months back I tried feeding a stereo percussion track via a digital mix into a ESS 9038 DAC combined with the stereo drum tracks. This was a live jazz recording.

Although the tops sounded a bit better on the ESS via the AKM DAC, the collapse of the stereo image and depth made me go back to the AKM DACs feeding the console inputs individually.

Hearing all the location cues drop off and turn mono was a shocker. Digital mixing destroys that stuff and turns a 3d recording into wide mono. Maybe someday that will be corrected but until then it's all analog here. I use a RME digital router to feed 4 ESS stereo DACs individually plus another box to feed the remaining tracks to other converters like Topping ESS and Mytek Burrbrown. The tracking ADC is a modified PCM/DSD4222 EVM.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

...while i mostly hate messing with a carefully crafted soundfield by leaving the digital domain so i'm mixing on a digital desk - and i'm reluctant of using the term 3d, especially in the days of multichannel/surround/immersive mixing!

p.s. nothing wrong with a mci though: got a jh536 here (which however doesn't get much use anymore)...
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
Beach Boys Kokomo
Fiona Apple
Tonic
Incubus
Beastie Boys
Gorge Clinton
Stanley Clark
Hoobastank
Macy Grey
Spinal Tap
La Guns
Muse
No doubt

There’s more, that’s just some from the list. My console came from 4th Street Recording a small studio in Santa Monica Ca, I communicated with the owner via email and she said they did a over a dozen gold & platinum records on this board.

What does all this mean?

NOTHING!
besides they worked with great bands and had good Engineers the Mci 428 Console was just one of the tools they used among many to get the job done.

Agreed. Great songs could be made on a variety of consoles/ medium.
But it's still cool...
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Get a console if:

1.) You like tactile
2.) You have a good tech or
2.b) You are willing to maintain/repair it yourself
3.) Have the money including the money for patchbays, wire (if you answer yes to 2.B expect to solder for many, many hours), connectors, etc, mistakes
4.) Don't like using a mouse and keyboard.

If you're like me, you answered yes to all of those (2.B, not 2) and then had to save for a Radar because well...its implied.
Old 1 day ago
Cabling can kill you.

My DMR-12 came with 3 or 4 cables. It it weren't for the fact that ADATs used the same elco connector, nobody wanted them, and I could just move the pins around to fit the DMR, it would have killed me. I bought at least 10 snakes from ebay and Reverb. As it is, it cost probably at least as much as I paid for the console to wire up everything. The console does have a 144 pt patchbay that's included though.
Old 15 hours ago
Here for the gear

The strongest console atm is the xbox one but all it's games are on pc too so kinda pointless if you have a gaming pc.
The ps4 pro is next and that has some good exclusives.
The switch also has good exclusives.
Old 14 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Reasons for a console :

1. You're using a tape machine.
2. You're tracking large ensembles.
3. You're enamored with a console.

There's really no other reasons in 2019 for having a console. It's ancient technology except for the above reasons. The OP isn't using tape or tracking large ensembles. That's boils it down to lust. If you want one and can afford it, then go for it. Otherwise....shhhhh. We're tired of hearing all the pro "gotta have a console" hyperbole.
You forgot zero latency.
Old 13 hours ago
One could argue: With the cost of some consoles coming down to pennies on the dollar, there is no better deal for a group of pres, and eq. That's without getting into the bonus routing and workflow possibilities.

This year I'm putting in a patch bay system in my studio, next year increasing io and taking the console plunge. I'm not a rich man, so I'm considering an inline soundtracs console. I like the options, price and sound of those consoles. I come from doing live sound and the digico stuff is leaps and bounds above the competition and it's the same company, so they already have a good rep with me.

I just love riding faders, and cant think of a cheaper way to increase my channels of input.
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
...the digico stuff is leaps and bounds above the competition...
not really (but they have a few features implemented well) - anyway, since you're (possibly) familiar with live desks, i suggest you have an eye at some models from amek, soundcraft, cadac, dda, midas etc.

imo many of these punch far above any desk soundtracs ever manufactured...
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxplayerz View Post
You forgot zero latency.

Yup. That's a good one.
Old 8 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
not really (but they have a few features implemented well) - anyway, since you're (possibly) familiar with live desks, i suggest you have an eye at some models from amek, soundcraft, cadac, dda, midas etc.

imo many of these punch far above any desk soundtracs ever manufactured...
As far as live digital consoles, I haven't used anything on the market that sounds as good and is as versatile as the Digico boards, specificallythe SD range. They're simply works of electronic art in my eyes. Avid definitely has the market cornered, but if they arent careful Digico could take them. I'm seeing them pop up more and more.

Problem with live desks in studio is that they dont have inline function, which in my setup would be a must have.
I appreciate the advice though, it is worth keeping an open mind. Those old soundtracs that were tens of thousands of dollars I their day can be had for a couple grand now. Obviously they'll need some capacitors and such but what a deal!
Old 7 hours ago
Quote:
Yup. That's a good one.
+1 for zero latency.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search