The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bae 1073 vs Shelford Channel
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

Shelford serie is as close to perfect as I could wish.
I have few pairs of BAE and one pair of vintage Neve's.
They are not used a lot anymore.
Also, in 5088 I enjoy combination of Shelford modules with Portico modules.

Rupert truly well rounded up the concept and there is hardly anything else to wish in top quality analogue world.
Old 22nd December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicPoe View Post
Hello, I recently upgraded my vocal booth and room, so I've decided to purchase a new vocal chain. I already have a U87ai and I plan on purchasing a Bae 1073 (with eq) and a CL-1B to go along with it. My question is should I get the Bae 1073 or Shelford Channel for the Preamp section? I plan on using it for vocals mainly (modern hip-hop/r&B like Drake, Kendrick Lamar, SZA, etc). Hope to hear your opinion. Thanks everyone!
I’ve had both as well using the Manley ref c into both ..... I’m one of the people that is not crazy about the 1073 at least not with the Manley ref c ... but anyway I sold the Shelford because I’m not an engineer and it was overwhelming for me , bought the bae dmp and boy do I regret doing that ... I was listening to old stuff that I cut with the Shelford after being frustrated with the bae and I immediately got sad ... and wish I would have taken time to learn it ...the bae is not bad but it just is very harsh with the Manley imo especially on my vocals I have a very small edgy voice ... but with the Shelford I had so many options to shape the vocal to my liking ...
Shelford eq sounds so sweet , red and silk button works good the compressor isn’t to grabby and works well controlling peaks ... in fact tbh the Shelford is the only channel strip imo that you get 3 very good components the only negative would be the frequencies that they choose are not ideal especially for vocals ....In short I love the Shelford and would choose it 10/10 over the bae combo you asked about
Old 25th December 2019
Gear Head

Slightly off topic but I find the 1084 to be clearer sounding than the 1073. I think the different eq points give it a low end resonance that doesn’t reach as high and clears out the sound in the mids and gives sweeter highs. This is why I bought the 1084 over the 1028 that BAE builds even though it has more flexibility. With the eq and filters out the pre sounds the same as 1073 model and has a cool harmonic heft that I don’t get with the eq engaged. Whatever that’s worth to anyone.
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
You just showed your hand. There's a reason that Heritage is cheaper: They are using cheaper components.
It seems you are misinformed about Heritage Audio 1073 CLASSIC modules.
Please tell me where you see cheaper components in my heritage 1073:
Attached Thumbnails
Bae 1073 vs Shelford Channel-img_20180411_164734.jpg  
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
It seems you are misinformed about Heritage Audio 1073 CLASSIC modules.
Please tell me where you see cheaper components in my heritage 1073:
What country are your Carnhill’s manufactured in? Last I recall, you guys were not using the ones actually manufactured in the UK. Am I incorrect?

Merry Christmas.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post
Considering the cost, absolutely. Crooked buttons, knobs that aren't properly aligned, ground hum inherent to the device itself (not due to user power/cabling/etc) are found in my unit alone. A search here on GS alone will show you even more problems from other users.

If they were in the price range of other clones (Heritage et al) it may be considered acceptable, but not for their asking price... hell no.

Their rep Mark is a total jerk, too. Last time I asked about a repair he snapped at me in ALL CAPS and, when asked to clarify, didn't even respond.

In total, no thanks.
I just had a crap-tastic experience with BAE's customer service as well. I have two 1073D's that I bought in the past 9 months. My white push buttons are yellowing. Not a deal breaker, but I called and asked to get pricing on replacements and backup knobs. I'll gladly purchase these things just so when they start to look "bad" I can put a new one on and have my units look new. Well i called them yesterday, made my request and they told me to email them. I got the quote back and they wanted $490 for the plastic knobs and buttons on my two 1073d's. for those counting that's $245 per 1073D. When i asked them to clarify b/c i was sure they included pricing for the switches as well. Well, they confirmed $490 for plastic knobs. They gave me a line about how their knobs are for people who are particular about authenticity and are from the original molds Rupert Neve used. There is a stuck up vibe I get from them, like if your name isn't on hollywood blvd then you don't matter. They wanted $25 in freight from LA to Richmond, VA for 2 lbs of plastic knobs. Don't pee on me and call it rain. I hate to say it but I'm over BAE. My Heritage DMA-73 has been smoking my 1073d's in tracking lately. If you want my advice go with something else for the 1073 flavor. Heritage Audio or Shelford for sure.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
"If they were in the price range of other clones (Heritage et al) it may be considered acceptable, but not for their asking price... "

Those are your words. You drew the analogy between BAE and Heritage. I was pointing out that you obviously fail understand what differentiates BAE modules from Heritage, which is the quality of the internal components. Is that clear enough for you? Or do you need it explained again?
Yes, I drew an analogy that you somehow cannot understand. It's basic stuff so I really can't hold your hand with it.

Quote:
Also, previously, you said their build quality was junk compared to RND, which shows that you also don't understand the difference between SMD components and a hand wired module like a 1073. You suggest that at their price point, nothing should be wrong. I dunno. I've been buying pro audio gear for a few decades. **** happens. Humans make these things, and sometimes either something gets by QC, or something happens in the shipping process. It's not terribly uncommon. And sorry, bitching about a knob not lining up is just abut as petty and silly as it gets.
Build quality obviously accounts for a little more than the innards, bud. Oof. A trim knob acts a visual reference, and what good is a visual reference if it's way off the mark. The thing says one channel is 10 o'clock when it's actually noon. A minor inconvenience, sure, obviously, however literally every other piece of hardware I own - including an array of tube-based hand wired hardware - is visually matchable to a reasonable degree except the BAE.

Quote:
But, in terms of Mark treating you like you say, the more you type, I can certainly see his point. I know a good deal of the audio manufacturers, and you display the traits of the low information customers that they complain about frequently. On top of it, you seem to be kind of a tool. So, if your back and forth with me is anything like what Mark experienced, I certainly get it. I wouldn't want you as a customer either.
I asked the dude a single, basic question about the RMA process and he lost his **** like one of those little yapyap dogs that people leave tied up in their yard. Kinda wild that you're out here white-knighting for someone like that but it makes total sense now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_keefe Bass View Post
I just had a crap-tastic experience with BAE's customer service as well. I have two 1073D's that I bought in the past 9 months. My white push buttons are yellowing. Not a deal breaker, but I called and asked to get pricing on replacements and backup knobs. I'll gladly purchase these things just so when they start to look "bad" I can put a new one on and have my units look new. Well i called them yesterday, made my request and they told me to email them. I got the quote back and they wanted $490 for the plastic knobs and buttons on my two 1073d's. for those counting that's $245 per 1073D. When i asked them to clarify b/c i was sure they included pricing for the switches as well. Well, they confirmed $490 for plastic knobs. They gave me a line about how their knobs are for people who are particular about authenticity and are from the original molds Rupert Neve used. There is a stuck up vibe I get from them, like if your name isn't on hollywood blvd then you don't matter. They wanted $25 in freight from LA to Richmond, VA for 2 lbs of plastic knobs. Don't pee on me and call it rain. I hate to say it but I'm over BAE. My Heritage DMA-73 has been smoking my 1073d's in tracking lately. If you want my advice go with something else for the 1073 flavor. Heritage Audio or Shelford for sure.
By contrast, a good example of brilliant hardware and top-notch service within this vein would be Aurora Audio. The GTQ2 is a work of art and definitely something to check out for anyone looking for this kind of sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
By contrast, a good example of brilliant hardware and top-notch service within this vein would be Aurora Audio. The GTQ2 is a work of art and definitely something to check out for anyone looking for this kind of sound.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen Geoff's posts here in the past and he seems like a real gentleman! GTQ2 looks amazing and you get 2 channels with EQ as compared to just one with BAE 1073. Thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen Geoff's posts here in the past and he seems like a real gentleman! GTQ2 looks amazing and you get 2 channels with EQ as compared to just one with BAE 1073. Thank you!
The Aurora stuff sounds great, and Geoff is wonderful and brilliant. Oddly, I was just using one of his sidecar units, and it suffered from the exact same switch and pot issues that every single 10 series type of module exhibits, including the ones made by Neve. So while the people who know what they are talking about say that’s what happens with the mechanical switches and these parts, the people who wanna blame it on a certain manufacturer should take note. Real pros understand that these issues exist, and would never use this as an example to dissuade people from buying Geoff’s amazing gear. Real pros understand that maintenance is a reality in recording studios.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I drew an analogy that you somehow cannot understand. It's basic stuff so I really can't hold your hand with it.

Build quality obviously accounts for a little more than the innards, bud. Oof. A trim knob acts a visual reference, and what good is a visual reference if it's way off the mark. The thing says one channel is 10 o'clock when it's actually noon. A minor inconvenience, sure, obviously, however literally every other piece of hardware I own - including an array of tube-based hand wired hardware - is visually matchable to a reasonable degree except the BAE.

I asked the dude a single, basic question about the RMA process and he lost his **** like one of those little yapyap dogs that people leave tied up in their yard. Kinda wild that you're out here white-knighting for someone like that but it makes total sense now.
What makes total sense is that you got the reaction you did. I’ve seen many times where the factory installation was correct, and somebody along the way over turned the knob, and it lost its center. The pro move would have been to take a screwdriver, re-center it, and send them a note saying, “Hey, the 12k knob was off-center. Don’t know if it left the factory that way, or it got overturned somehow, but I wanted to let you know so that you can maybe check things on your end.“

The chump move is to demand satisfaction and cry about it in GS. I know a good percentage of the pro audio manufacturers, and most of them hate this place. They understand it’s filled with low information, unskilled and inexperienced end users, with unreasonable expectations, who act like whiney babies. Some of them are better at tolerating it than others. But they almost all bitch about it. Thank you for perfect demonstration of the principal.

Over a period of I don’t know how many years, I’ve had nothing but a great relationship with this company. I act like a pro, and they treat me like a pro. You can call it white knighting, or you can just look at the fact that I’m pointing out that you were acting like a typical GS bro, not pro. And if that sounds like a judgment, I’m comfortable with that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
The Aurora stuff sounds great, and Geoff is wonderful and brilliant. Oddly, I was just using one of his sidecar units, and it suffered from the exact same switch and pot issues that every single 10 series type of module exhibits, including the ones made by Neve. So while the people who know what they are talking about say that’s what happens with the mechanical switches and these parts, the people who wanna blame it on a certain manufacturer should take note. Real pros understand that these issues exist, and would never use this as an example to dissuade people from buying Geoff’s amazing gear. Real pros understand that maintenance is a reality in recording studios.
Awesome! JJ, have you ever used any of Daking's stuff. I'm very interested in the mic pre eq. Interested in your thoughts, since i know that your old console in your studio was a Trident or atleast based on one. I think I have that correct... right?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome! JJ, have you ever used any of Daking's stuff. I'm very interested in the mic pre eq. Interested in your thoughts, since i know that your old console in your studio was a Trident or atleast based on one. I think I have that correct... right?
I have a 52270 module, serial number 1. I love Geoff Daking’s gear. That module is based on the A range. It doesn’t sound identical, but it’s very much in that vibe. I am always recommending his preamps to people. He makes a great product. different flavor than the Neve type thing, for sure.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I owned a pair of BAE 1073 Mic pre’s only and compared them to a pair of Old Neve 1079’s mic pre only EQ not engaged. The difference was extremely noticeable the low end of the old original Neve units had a deep low end clarity that was punchy not cloudy or mushy.

Before I heard the original old Neve’s I didn’t think the BAE’s were bad and I still don’t think they’re bad but I know what I heard and I know what I want.

I’ve learned that you have to have something to compare it to.

You can buy a Warm audio or Stam audio elam 251 or Akg C12 clone and think it’s the best thing in the world until you compare it to something of higher quality or that’s built much closer to original specs or an actual original specimen. Then realize oh that’s what it’s supposed to sound like.

I’ve since sold my BAE preamps and purchased original Neve’s.

As for build quality in my opinion Heritage audio SUCKS!

I owned a 32 channel summing mixer from heritage and the build quality was nauseating.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search