The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peluso Vs Telefunken.USA (much difference?)
Old 24th February 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegm View Post
We're talking about Telefunken USA, who stuck their logo on a cheap Chinese mic, called it the M16, and charged 10x more than it was worth, so you can't really trust the price argument.
Telefunken l USA is a thing of the past. The new company is called TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik. The M-16 debacle was corrected when the M-16 mkII was released, which had an amplifier designed and built in the US using a NOS tube and custom designed and fabricated output transformer.

The M-16 mkII was discontinued at the end of 2009 [in case you didn't notice, this thread originated in 2007. The roster spot was taken by the AR-51 which was released in mid-January 2010 and has been receiving quite nice reviews from those who have tried it.

As for the U-47 that was first mentioned back in 2007, I have no idea what its problem might have been. If it was made by Telefunken l USA then it will be under warranty and should probably be sent in for repair. I understand the microphone is in the EU... but if the original poster [or the mic's owner] is reading this TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik is working on establishing an EU warranty repair facility in Germany which should be on-line by mid to late summer 2010.

Other than that the only thing I would ask is that anyone who reads this thread realize that I did not work for Telefunken l USA when I made the posts on the first page [though I do at the moment].

Peace.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Are you asking how the $1700 Peluso 22 47 LE compares to the $10,000 U47M (VF14) that Telefunken produces?
More expensive doesn't alway equate to better. Using that logic, the most expensive gear would always win out. Blind testing is the best way to determine which is better for you.

Doh,
Sorry I didn't realize how old this thread was. Still sticking with my comment though...
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Guru

I like the way the 2247 sounds in that voice test... sort of larger than life, bold, austere. like I always imagine an old U47 to sound. please don't flame me on use of adjectives. I thought the 22 251 was a bit thin, and the telefunken, sort of dark and drab (ignoring the noise)
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I like the way the 2247 sounds in that voice test... sort of larger than life, bold, austere. like I always imagine an old U47 to sound. please don't flame me on use of adjectives. I thought the 22 251 was a bit thin, and the telefunken, sort of dark and drab (ignoring the noise)
its funny how that can happen...

no doubt i'd love to have the telfunken u47...

but i've had several experiences (in fact, its about 40% of the time) that the more cheaper mic fits a particular voice..............but i'm not talking specifically about tele or peluso here...

which is just proof IMO that you need many mics for many voices....
and should never choose based on which mic costs more
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

My experience with TeleUSA ELAM 251 (with AC701k and and original Austrian capsule, I don't know how they call this version 'E' or 'V') is nothing less than absolutelly excellent.
Very few original ELAMs (our of several dozens) pleased my tastes in same fashion as mentioned mic and vast majority of vintage classices were simply weaker sounding, although all definitelly in 251 sonic ballpark.
Now question is may the clone be better than original?
Rarely so, but in this single particular case that I know (and other that heard it), so far no original vintage ELAM 251 subjectivelly better pleased my and our engineers ears.
All other 251 clones we tried were close in some respects, but lacked sonic dimension and subtle nuances that marvel with this mic.
Is it worth 4-8 k or more price difference depends on objectives.
IMO mics are one of things in sturio where nuances means much more that with some other gears.
I hear them and can't justify saving some $$$ and live with compromise, but that's me and we are all different.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

This thread originated before in became in vogue to bash all things Peluso, particularly the 2247.

But in spite of current trend, I still use a 2247SE and believe it has worked well, particluarly on a variety of male voices I've tried it on.

I don't claim it as the be and end all of all mics.

Fashion trends on Gearslutz seem silly to me.
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
This thread originated before in became in vogue to bash all things Peluso, particularly the 2247.

But in spite of current trend, I still use a 2247SE and believe it has worked well, particluarly on a variety of male voices I've tried it on.

I don't claim it as the be and end all of all mics.

Fashion trends on Gearslutz seem silly to me.

You are preaching to the choir. The Germanium preamp had all kinds of hype on here. So did the A designs Reddi and the A designs Pacifica. Then there was the hype on the Great River stuff.

Some people are going to get defensive here but none of this stuff that gets hyped is better than equipment that we have had for years and is still currently made. In fact. the stuff mentioned above would all be secondary choices to Neve or API. I personally think that the Germanium is one of the least useful mic preamps I have ever tried using.
Old 25th February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegm View Post
We're talking about Telefunken USA, who stuck their logo on a cheap Chinese mic, called it the M16, and charged 10x more than it was worth, so you can't really trust the price argument.

Anyways, I've never heard the U47M, but I know that for $1700, it's tough to beat the Peluso for vintage-type tube microphone sounds (although it should be possible to find it new in the $1500 range...).
why is it that only telefunken gets ragged on for this? it was a mistake but there are a LOT of other companies who buy fairy turds like t-bones in big stock rebadge them then send it to reviewers who say "ZOMG THIS MIC JUST HAD INTERCOURSE WITH MY EAR(S)" and then get gear pimps to post on here saying "EAR(S) MY WITH INTERCOURSE HAD JUST MIC THIS ZOMG"
if you buy a microphone assembled by a 3 month old chinese boy which was then rebadged by a cigar chomping american then thats your fault. if you dont know that it was and love the mic great!
i own a few rebadged scammy mics but i love them, yet i have NEVER heard these companies being attacked for what they have done.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Might be not bad idea for some posters to remember that there are lower cost gear parts of the Gearslutz forum, as well as, moan zone for all who are unhappy with fact that best mics can't be owned for 1000 $ (what doesn't mean that 1000 $ mics is not perfect choice for next Nr.1 hit song), that 200$ is unlikelly to buy exceptional preamplifiers or compressors and that top quality analogue, built in proper way is still in some demand by professionals and newcomers to audio recording what is driver to keep rather expensive boutique manufacturers alive.
High-end manufacturers strive to reach the very top level of achievable quality and on this path there are many failures and illusions (advocated or somehow supported by dealers).
Reading forum is just like reading any magazine, teaser to go and try it for youself.
Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear

I don't have a problem in the world with someone buying a 5k-10K mic. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 4th March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
You are preaching to the choir. The Germanium preamp had all kinds of hype on here. So did the A designs Reddi and the A designs Pacifica. Then there was the hype on the Great River stuff.

Some people are going to get defensive here but none of this stuff that gets hyped is better than equipment that we have had for years and is still currently made. In fact. the stuff mentioned above would all be secondary choices to Neve or API.
Agreed.
Old 5th March 2010
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewenson View Post
why is it that only telefunken gets ragged on for this? it was a mistake but there are a LOT of other companies who buy fairy turds like t-bones in big stock rebadge them then send it to reviewers who say "ZOMG THIS MIC JUST HAD INTERCOURSE WITH MY EAR(S)" and then get gear pimps to post on here saying "EAR(S) MY WITH INTERCOURSE HAD JUST MIC THIS ZOMG"
if you buy a microphone assembled by a 3 month old chinese boy which was then rebadged by a cigar chomping american then thats your fault. if you dont know that it was and love the mic great!
i own a few rebadged scammy mics but i love them, yet i have NEVER heard these companies being attacked for what they have done.
Just saw this post and thought a clarification might be in order... TELEFUNKEN microphones are assembled in Connecticut - USA by some guys who are mostly in their 20's. The badges are installed on the microphones after testing in the Connecticut - USA facility.

There are some parts that are sourced from overseas sources in R-F-T line of TELEFUNKEN microphones.

ALL parts in the "Diamond Series" [ELA M 25x, U-47/48, C-12] microphones are built in the USA with the exception of the NOS vacuum tubes, many of which were built in Europe before it was called the EU.

...and now back to our regularly scheduled pogrom.
Old 5th March 2010
Gear Maniac

There may be some nice NOS tubes out there that would make some different kind of tone?
Old 5th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Just saw this post and thought a clarification might be in order... TELEFUNKEN microphones are assembled in Connecticut - USA by some guys who are mostly in their 20's. The badges are installed on the microphones after testing in the Connecticut - USA facility.

There are some parts that are sourced from overseas sources in R-F-T line of TELEFUNKEN microphones.

ALL parts in the "Diamond Series" [ELA M 25x, U-47/48, C-12] microphones are built in the USA with the exception of the NOS vacuum tubes, many of which were built in Europe before it was called the EU.

...and now back to our regularly scheduled pogrom.
woops, sorry if that sounded whack. i wasnt implying that t-funk was assembling in china. i was referring the that one incident with the m16 which was corrected. i own a mic from the rft series and love it, i dont see why so much people are still dwelling on the past
Old 5th March 2010
Lives for gear

There are some good mics coming out of Connecticut these days, either Old Lyme or South Windsor.
Old 10th March 2010
Lives for gear

i just read through this whole thread and it's pretty interesting..

seeing lots of praise for the peluso mics, which doesn't happen much now because they are no longer "the cool" thing on this forum..

i thought the 47LE sounded great in both samples...

i will say though, that something is wrong with the T-funk.. there must have been crickets living inside the grill..... not really a fair comparison.... or maybe it has strange abilities to pick up stray frequencies in that particular area...

even expensive mics can have anomalies.....

ps. when i was living in capitol hill in seattle, you could not record a single thing or power up a guitar amp without hearing a really loud radio signal..... serious bummer.
Old 11th September 2012
Well. Every mic has its (call it) "mojo" or "anomalies".. the only thing matters is if those nuances are pleasant sounding. How it fits in the mix. How it works with source. If it capture charisma of performer and performance. You can get great sounding record with any non hyped dynamic mic. But market dictates what manufactures have to develop. And market usually dont have a clue what is good sound or not. So market sells the "cleanest" mic with hyped fq range and non precise mid-range. Usually those mics sound horrible and needs a sex with analogue gear to sound ok. So smart guys with ears re-invented great mics and make them non-commercial sounding for non-commercial price. Thats it. You want the best - it costs money. Cant afford it - twist knobs and use techniques. But there are cases where non compromise mic is MUST HAVE. Get Peluso.. if it would not fill your needs sell it and get Telefunken - simple.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Guru

good answer I like that
Old 18th September 2012
I just spent a week recording several different vocalists with only a tele ar51 at another studio. Very impressed. Sounded thick and sweet on all of them. I didn't expect to like it at all at first.

I changed out the tube to nos and tube cable on my Peluso p12. Wow that was worth the upgrade.
Old 5th February 2019
Here for the gear
I had an AK-47. Best sound I've heard on cymbals; however on my voice it brought out a nasal sound that was undeniable. I've never been told I had a nasally voice. Terrible choice for my voice, very colored.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search